Background and activities
Sigurd Skogestad is Professor of Chemical Engineering at NTNU in Trondheim with focus on process control,. He received his PhD from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1987, He has been full professor at NTNU since 1987 and he was Head of department of Chemical Engineering from 1999 to 2009. He is since 2015 the Director of the SUBPRO center for research-based innovation on subsea production and processing.
His research interests include control structure design and plantwide control, optimal operation of process systems, modelling for control, robust control, PID control and distillation columns.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) A New Termination Criterion for Sampling for Surrogate Model Generation using Partial Least Squares Regression. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 121.
- (2018) Simple method for parameter identification of a nonlinear Greitzer compressor model. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (13).
- (2018) A Control- and Estimation-Oriented Gravity Separator Model for Oil and Gas Applications Based upon First-Principles. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (21).
- (2018) Slug handling with a virtual harp based on nonlinear predictive control for a gravity separator. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (8).
- (2018) Combined nonlinear moving horizon estimation and model predictive control applied to a compressor for active surge control. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2018) Virtual inflow estimation with simplified tuning using cascaded and Kalman-like least squares observers. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Control of Steady-state Gradient of an Ammonia Reactor using Transient Measurements. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Optimal PI and PID control of first-order plus delay processes and evaluation of the original and improved SIMC rules. Journal of Process Control. vol. 70.
- (2018) Dividing wall columns for natural gas liquefaction plants. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 69.
- (2018) Control structure comparison for three-product Petlyuk column. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering. vol. 26 (8).
- (2018) A Distributed Algorithm for Scenario-based Model Predictive Control using Primal Decomposition *. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (18).
- (2018) Steady-State Real-time Optimization using Transient Measurements. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 115.
- (2018) Gas-lift Optimization by Controlling Marginal Gas-Oil Ratio using Transient Measurements. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (8).
- (2018) Improving Scenario Decomposition for Multistage MPC using a Sensitivity-based Path-following Algorithm. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2018) Improving Scenario Decomposition for Multistage MPC using a Sensitivity-based Path-following Algorithm. IEEE Control Systems Letters. vol. 2 (4).
- (2018) Data-driven Scenario Selection for Multistage Robust Model Predictive Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (20).
- (2018) Improved PI control for a surge tank satisfying level constraints. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (4).
- (2018) Changing between Active Constraint Regions for Optimal Operation: Classical Advanced Control versus Model Predictive Control. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Optimal Operation with Changing Active Constraint Regions using Classical Advanced Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (18).
- (2018) Self-Optimizing Control in Chemical Recycle Processes. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (18).