Background and activities
Silvana Bucher Sandbakk is a former Olympic cross-country skier from Switzerland, has a M.Sc. in Sports Sciences from the Nord-Trøndelag University College and is currently working on a PhD project in Clinical Medicine at the Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging (KG Jebsen Center of Exercise in Medicine), NTNU.
Current main research area is Exercise Physiology, and the main project investigates cardiovascular risk profiles in an elderly population and effects of various types of endurance training. Additionally, she studies physiological and biomechanical aspects related to performance in elite winter-sport athletes together with the Norwegian Olympic Committee.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Combined Association of Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Body Fatness With Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Older Norwegian Adults: The Generation 100 Study. Mayo Clinic Proceedings: Innovations, Quality & Outcomes. vol. 1 (1).
- (2017) Cardiorespiratory Reference Data in Older Adults: The Generation 100 Study. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. vol. 49 (11).
- (2017) Absolute and relative accelerometer thresholds for determining the association between physical activity and metabolic syndrome in the older adults: The Generation-100 study. BMC Geriatrics. vol. 17.
- (2017) Personal Activity Intelligence (PAI), sedentary behavior and cardiovascular risk factor clustering - the HUNT study. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. vol. 60 (1).
- (2016) Sedentary Time, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Cardiovascular Risk Factor Clustering in Older Adults--the Generation 100 Study. Mayo Clinic proceedings. vol. 91 (11).
- (2015) Effects of acute supplementation of L-arginine and nitrate on endurance and sprint performance in elite athletes. Nitric oxide. vol. 48.
- (2014) Downhill turn techniques and associated physical characteristics in cross-country skiers. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. vol. 24 (4).
- (2014) The velocity and energy profiles of elite cross-country skiers executing downhill turns with different radii. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 9 (1).
- (2014) The Physiology and Biomechanics of Upper-Body Repeated Sprints in Ice Sledge Hockey. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 9 (1).
- (2013) Effects of Intensity and Duration in Aerobic High-Intensity Interval Training in Highly Trained Junior Cross-Country Skiers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. vol. 27 (7).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Effects of Combined Supplementation of Dietary Nitrate and L-arginine on Physiological Responses, Sprint and Endurance. Book of Abstracts.18th annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science. 26th - 29th June, Barcelona - Spain.
- (2012) Downhill Turn Techniques and Performance in Cross-Country Skiing: Associations with Mechanical and Physical Parameters. 17th annual Congress of the ECSS.
- (2012) Mechanical Parameters as Predictors of Downhill Turn Performance in Cross-Country Skiing. 2nd International Congress of Science and Nordic Skiing. Congress Proceedings.
- (2012) Effects of intensity and duration in aerobic high-intensity interval training. 2nd International Congress of Science and Nordic Skiing. Congress Proceedings.
- (2012) The Physiology of World Class Sledge Ice-Hockey. 17th annual Congress of the ECSS.