Background and activities
More renewable energy production is necessary to accomplish a sustainable future. But, it can be challenging to integrate it into the electricity mix. Most European electricity trading are done in day-ahead auctions. Production from sun and wind, however, have variable production and can be difficult to estimate accurately for the next day. This results in imbalances in the power system, which can have serious consequences. My research considers the opportunity to trade electricity within the same day in the intraday markets. Due to the increase of renewables in the electricity mix, the intraday markets have become more active in the last years. Proper decision support and methods to analyze intraday markets are therefore necessary. This leads to more efficient markets, reduce the risk of investments, and ease the integration of renewable production into the electricity mix.
My research use mathematical programming, a subfield of operations research and applied mathematics to investigate the intraday market. Most prominently, I use the novel techniques of inverse equilibrium modeling and approximate dynamic programming in my work. The former is a method to estimate parameters for a market in equilibrium. In an electricity market, it is simple to observe bids and outcomes, but not the motivation behind them. Inverse equilibrium modeling provide some insights on this, and can be a useful tool for regulators and policy makers. Approximate dynamic programming is a method to solve large dynamic problems with uncertainty. These are the kind of problems that producers are facing in an electricity market with increased shares of renewable production.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or wish to cooperate on projects!
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Selecting pharmacies for COVID-19 testing to ensure access. Health Care Management Science. vol. 24.
- (2020) Inverse Equilibrium Analysis of Oligopolistic Electricity Markets. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 35 (6).
- (2020) Expanding Access to COVID-19 Tests through US Postal Service Facilities. Medical decision making. vol. 41 (1).
- (2018) Are the European Electricity Markets Ready for More Renewables?. IAEE Energy Forum. vol. Q4.
- (2018) Assessing incentives for multinational cooperation towards a North Sea Offshore Grid using allocation methods from coalitional game theory. IAEE International Conference.