Background and activities
Sigurd Skogestad is Professor of Chemical Engineering at NTNU in Trondheim with focus on process control,. He received his PhD from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1987, He has been full professor at NTNU since 1987 and he was Head of department of Chemical Engineering from 1999 to 2009. He is since 2015 the Director of the SUBPRO center for research-based innovation on subsea production and processing.
His research interests include control structure design and plantwide control, optimal operation of process systems, modelling for control, robust control, PID control and distillation columns.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Combined state and parameter estimation for not fully observable dynamic systems. IFAC journal of systems and control. vol. 13.
- (2020) Plantwide control of an oil production network. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 136.
- (2020) Control structure design of a solid oxide fuel cell and molten carbonate fuel cell integrated system: Bottom-up analysis. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 220.
- (2020) Linear Combination of Gradients as Optimal Controlled Variables. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 48.
- (2020) Systematic design of active constraint switching using se-lectors. Computers and Chemical Engineering.
- (2020) A First-Principles Approach for Control-Oriented Modeling of De-oiling Hydrocyclones. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59.
- (2020) Active Constraint Switching with the Generalized Split Range Control Structure using the Baton Strategy. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2020) Multi-input single-output control for extending the operating range: Generalized split range control using the baton strategy. Journal of Process Control. vol. 91.
- (2020) Transformed Manipulated Variables for Linearization, Decoupling and Perfect Disturbance Rejection. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2020) Optimal operation and control of heat to power cycles: A new perspective from a systematic plantwide control approach. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 141.
- (2020) Optimal Operation and Control of a Thermal Energy Storage System: Classical Advanced Control versus Model Predictive Control. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 48.
- (2019) A simple modeling approach to control emulsion layers in gravity separators. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 46.
- (2019) Thermal coupling opportunities for floating natural gas liquefaction plants. Chemical engineering research & design. vol. 147.
- (2019) Optimal operation of oil and gas production using simple feedback control structures. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 91:104107.
- (2019) A Primal decomposition algorithm for distributed multistage scenario model predictive control. Journal of Process Control. vol. 81.
- (2019) Feedback Real-Time Optimization Strategy Using a Novel Steady-state Gradient Estimate and Transient Measurements. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (1).
- (2019) A Dynamic Extremum Seeking Scheme Applied to Gas Lift Optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (1).
- (2019) Online Process Optimization with Active Constraint Set Changes using Simple Control Structures. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (30).
- (2019) Control structure design for a CO2-refrigeration system with heat recovery. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 46.
- (2019) Multiple-input single-output control for extending the steady-state operating range-use of controllers with different setpoints. Processes. vol. 7:941 (12).