Background and activities
Sigurd Skogestad is Professor of Chemical Engineering at NTNU in Trondheim with focus on process control,. He received his PhD from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 1987, He has been full professor at NTNU since 1987 and he was Head of department of Chemical Engineering from 1999 to 2009. He is since 2015 the Director of the SUBPRO center for research-based innovation on subsea production and processing.
His research interests include control structure design and plantwide control, optimal operation of process systems, modelling for control, robust control, PID control and distillation columns.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Simple method for parameter identification of a nonlinear Greitzer compressor model. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (13).
- (2018) A Control- and Estimation-Oriented Gravity Separator Model for Oil and Gas Applications Based upon First-Principles. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (21).
- (2018) Slug handling with a virtual harp based on nonlinear predictive control for a gravity separator. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (8).
- (2018) Combined nonlinear moving horizon estimation and model predictive control applied to a compressor for active surge control. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2018) Virtual inflow estimation with simplified tuning using cascaded and Kalman-like least squares observers. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Control of Steady-state Gradient of an Ammonia Reactor using Transient Measurements. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Steady-State Real-time Optimization using Transient Measurements. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 115.
- (2018) Gas-lift Optimization by Controlling Marginal Gas-Oil Ratio using Transient Measurements. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2018) Data-driven Scenario Selection for Multistage Robust Model Predictive Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2018) Improved PI control for a surge tank satisfying level constraints. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (4).
- (2018) Changing between Active Constraint Regions for Optimal Operation: Classical Advanced Control versus Model Predictive Control. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Optimal Operation with Changing Active Constraint Regions using Classical Advanced Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2018) Surrogate model generation using self-optimizing variables. Computers and Chemical Engineering.
- (2017) A simple dynamic gravity separator model for separation efficiency evaluation incorporating level and pressure control. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Optimal operation and stabilising control of the concentric heat-integrated distillation column (HIDiC). Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 96.
- (2017) Anti-slug control based on a virtual flow measurement. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. vol. 53.
- (2017) Nonlinear control solutions to prevent slugging flow in offshore oil production. Journal of Process Control. vol. 54.
- (2017) Control structure design of a solid oxide fuel cell and a molten carbonate fuel cell integrated system: Top-down analysis. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 152.
- (2017) Gas Lift Optimization under Uncertainty. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 40.
- (2017) Control-Oriented Modelling of Gas-Liquid Cylindrical Cyclones. American Control Conference (ACC).