Background and activities
I am genuinely interested in sea ice, its physics and role in the environment. My interest began during my stay on Svalbard as Marie-Curie stipendiate (1998-1999). Having learned that sea ice microstructure and crystal growth is a poorly understood topic, I studied it as phd, interrrupted by a teacher education in Germany in 2003/2004, and obtained my phd on sea ice microstructure and physical properties at the Geophysical Institute (GFI) at the University of Bergen. From 2007-2013 I continued working at GFI, mostly with topics related to sea ice physical processes in the climate system. During that time I established fundamental research of sea ice on microscopic and molecular scales, based on X-ray imaging at synchrotron radiation facilities. This study of sea ice microstructure is relevant for many disciplines like oceanography+climate, arctic biogeochemistry and microbiology, engineering and remote sensing, environmental issues like oil spills in ice-covered waters. Besides the fundamental studies of sea ice physics my interest is to incorporate the micro-scale physics into larger scale models of ice-atmosphere-ocean interaction, climate and engineering applications.
After one year experience (2014) with consultant activity on problems related to ice and sea ice in the Arctic Seas (own enterprise,http://www.sea-ice.no), I am since since February 2015 working at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), presently as workpackage leader for 'X-ray tomography with synchrotron radiation' within MOSIDEO an international project that studies oil-ice microscale interaction on different scales (http://www.mosideo.no).
Recently I organised two events on X-ray tomography of porous ice media: "X-ray Micro-tomography of Snow and Porous Ice Media" at the Interpore 2017-9th International Conference on Porous Media (http://folk.ntnu.no/sonkem/MS3.5_Interpore.pdf) and the "Workshop on X-ray micro-tomography of porous ice media" at NTNU in Trondheim (http://http://folk.ntnu.no/sonkem/porousicemedia_trondheim062017).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Consolidation of fresh ice ridges for different scales. Cold Regions Science and Technology. vol. 171.
- (2019) Mosideo/cirfa tank experiments on behavior and detection of oil in ice. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions. vol. 2019-June.
- (2017) Experimental and Micro-CT study on the Oil Distribution in laboratory grown Sea Ice. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions.
- (2015) Oil saturation of the sea ice pore space. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions. vol. 2015-January.
- (2014) A review of air-ice chemical and physical interactions (AICI): Liquids, quasi-liquids, and solids in snow. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. vol. 14 (3).
- (2013) Modelling oil entrapment in sea ice on the basis of microtomographic images. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions.
- (2012) Laboratory study of frazil ice accumulation under wave conditions. The Cryosphere. vol. 6 (1).
- (2012) Salinity and solid fraction of frazil and grease ice. Journal of Glaciology. vol. 58 (209).
- (2011) Thermodynamic investigation of an evolving grease to pancake ice field. Annals of Glaciology. vol. 52 (57).
- (2011) Ion fractionation in young sea ice from Kongsfjorden, Svalbard. Annals of Glaciology. vol. 52 (57).
- (2011) Interannual variability in the hydrography of the Norwegian Atlantic Current: Frontal versus advective response to atmospheric forcing. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Oceans. vol. 116.
- (2009) On geophysical modelling of sea ice: microstructure and salinity. Report Series in Geophysics.
- (2009) Synchrotronbased X-ray tomography: insights into sea ice microstructure. Report Series in Geophysics.
- (2003) Interannual variability of dense shelf water salinities in the North-Western Barents Sea. Polar Research. vol. 22 (1).
- (2007) On brine entrapment in sea ice: Morphological Stability, Microstructure and Convection. Logos Verlag Berlin. 2007. ISBN 978-3-8325-1523-2.
Part of book/report
- (2018) An Overwiew of the MOSIDEO/CIRFA Experiments on Behavior and Detection of Oil in Ice. Proceedings of the Forty-first AMOP Technical Seminar, Environment and Climate Change Canada Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- (2016) Distribution of oil in sea ice: Laboratory Experiments for 3-dimensional microCT investigations. Proceedings of the Twenty-sixth International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference - ISOPE 2016.
- (2007) Prediction of the cellular microstructure of sea ice by morphological stability theory. Physics and Chemistry of Ice.
- (2007) The planar-cellular transition during freezing of natural waters. Physics and Chemistry of Ice.
- (2009) Synchrotron-based X-ray micro-tomography of natural sea ice: Experimental report 20080881. 2009.
- (2008) Hydro- and thermodynamics related to CO2-fluxes through the seafloor. 2008. ISBN 82-8116-013-6.
- (2007) Brine entrapment in sea ice: morphological stability, microstructure, and convection. Universitetet i Bergen. 2007. ISBN 9783832515232.
- (2019) MOSIDEO/CIRFA Tank Experiments on Behavior and Detection of Oil in Ice. International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions ; Delft. 2019-06-09 - 2019-06-13.
- (2018) Sliding and Adhesion of Snow - A Cursory Study. Integrated Photovoltaic Technical Conference 2018 (I-PVTC 2018) - From Advanced Materials and Technologies to Multiscale Integration and Usages ; Cassis. 2018-09-10 - 2018-09-12.
- (2018) Sea ice microstructure. SAMCoT Sea ice rubble and ridge action workshop . NTNU Trondheim; Scandic Lerkendal. 2018-09-19 - 2018-09-20.
- (2018) The skeletal layer of sea ice: X-ray microtomography and modeling. 4th International Conference on the Physics and Chemistry of Ice (PCI- 2018) . ETH Zürich; Zürich. 2018-01-07 - 2018-01-12.
- (2018) Transport properties of sea ice from X-ray microtomographic imaging - evidence for directed percolation. 4th International Conference on the Physics and Chemistry of Ice (PCI- 2018) . ETH Zürich; Zürich. 2018-01-07 - 2018-01-12.
- (2018) Sea ice microstructure during the MOSAiC drift: X-ray microtomographic imaging and modelling. MOSAiC Science workshop . Alfred Wegner Institut für Polarforschung; Potsdam. 2018-05-28 - 2018-06-01.
- (2018) An overview of the MOSIDEO/CIRFA experiments on behavior and detection of oil in ice. 41st AMOP Technical Seminar on Environmental Contamination and Response ; Victoria, BS. 2018-10-02 - 2018-10-04.
- (2017) A sea ice pore space analysis in terms of 3-d directed percolation. 9th International Conference on Porous Media and Annual Meeting . The International Society for Porous Media; Rotterdam. 2017-05-08 - 2017-05-11.
- (2017) Challenges of XRT imaging of sea ice/saline water freezing. Workshop on X-ray Microtomography of porous ice media . Sønke Maus, NTNU; Trondheim. 2017-06-22 - 2017-06-23.
- (2017) X-ray microtomography of sea ice. ICTMS 2017 is the 3rd biannual conference of IntACT (International Association of Computed Tomography) . IntACT (International Association of Computed Tomography); Lund. 2017-06-26 - 2017-06-30.
- (2017) Micro-CT based evaluation an modelling of sea ice properties. First national workshop on porous media . Interpore Norway; NTNU Trondheim. 2017-10-18 - 2017-10-18.
- (2017) Density Measurements of young Sea Ice- a comparison of micro-CT imaging technique and hydrostatic weighing. InterPore 2017 . InterPore and Delft University of Technology; Rotterdam. 2017-05-08 - 2017-05-11.
- (2016) Distribution of oil in sea ice: Laboratory Experiments for 3-dimensional microCT investigations. International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference Rhodes, Greece, June 26-July 1, 2016 ; Rhodes. 2016-06-26 - 2016-07-01.
- (2015) OIL SATURATION OF THE SEA ICE PORE SPACE. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions ; 2015-06-14.
- (2015) Sea ice imaging at synchrotron facilities. Norwegian Synchrotron User Meeting . Research Council of Norway; Sola Strand. 2015-01-19 - 2015-01-20.
- (2015) Phase-contrast Imaging of Sea Ice. Interpore 2015 ; Padova. 2015-05-18.
- (2015) Microtomographic imaging of the sea ice pore space. International Conference in memorial to the Austrian polar explorer and scientist Julius Payer. ; Viennea. 2015-11-10 - 2015-11-13.
- (2013) Fluid Transport through Sea Ice: 3d Microtomographic Imaging and Numerical Simulations. Non-linearities and upscaling in porous media, 2nd NUPUS conference . NUPUS; Bergen. 2013-09-30 - 2013-10-02.
- (2013) Transport properties of sea ice based on numerical simulations with 3d microtomographic images. Interpore 5th International Conference on Porous Media and Annual Meeting . Interpore; Prague. 2013-05-21 - 2013-05-24.
- (2012) An X-ray micro-tomographic study of sea ice percolation. Conference on seasonal snow and ice ; Lahti. 2012-05-28 - 2012-06-01.
- (2011) Synchrotron-based X-ray tomographic microscopy of sea ice. Ice deformation - from the model material to ice in natural environments . MICRODICE; Grenoble. 2011-11-07 - 2011-11-09.
- (2011) The role of temperature-dependent sea ice physical properties in shaping atmosphere-ice-ocean interaction and polar climate. Arctic Frontiers, ; Tromsoe. 2011-01-23 - 2011-01-28.
- (2011) Interannual variability in the hydrography of the Norwegian Atlantic Current. EGU General Assembly ; 2011-04-03 - 2011-04-08.
- (2011) Interannual variability in the hydrography of the Norwegian Atlantic Currrent. EGU General Assembly ; Vienna. 2011-04-03 - 2011-04-08.
- (2010) analysis of an evolving Grease to Pancake ice field. IGS International Symposium on Sea Ice in the Physical and Biogeochemical System ; Tromsø. 2010-05-31 - 2010-06-04.
- (2010) Contributions of frazil and columnar ice growth to heat and salt fluxes in the Storfjorden polynya. International Symposium on sea ice in the physical and geochemical system ; Tromsoe. 2010-05-31 - 2010-06-04.
- (2010) Ion fractionation and pore space geometry in young sea ice from Kongsfjorden. International Symposium on sea ice in the physical and geochemical system ; Tromsoe. 2010-05-31 - 2010-06-04.
- (2010) Sea ice chemistry issues in the focus of climate change. Arctic Frontiers ; Tromsoe. 2010-01-24 - 2010-01-29.
- (2010) Variability of Atlantic water masses in the Svinøy section: Mechanisms, preferred time scales and relation to NAO. Water mass transformation in the Nordic Seas ; 2010-03-22 - 2010-03-23.
- (2009) A warmer Arctic Ocean: Some observations from a hovercraft. Arctic Frontiers ; 2009-01-21 - 2009-01-25.
- (2009) Synchrotron-based x-ray tomographic microscopy of sea ice. Arctic Frontiers ; Tromsoe. 2009-01-21 - 2009-01-25.
- (2009) Water mass variability in the Barents Sea: Atlantic Water advection versus sea ice import. Workshop on the Norwegian Atlantic Current, iAOOS Norway ; Tromsø,. 2009-08-31 - 2009-09-02.
- (2007) Flux dynamics near the seafloor. Sub-sea storage of CO2; The Marine Component . University of Bergen; Bergen. 2007-09-10 - 2007-09-11.