Background and activities
I work in philosophy of science, ethics of technology and art-based approaches to philosophy. I obtained my first degree in Mathematics and Physics (Warwick, 2000), followed by an MA in Philosophy (UCSD, 2006) and a PhD in Philosophy and Science Studies (UCSD, 2009). My PhD discusses The use of race as a variable in biomedical research.
My postdoctoral work developed my interests in interdisciplinarity, language and expression, with practical experience and attention to material culture, performance and performativity. I have worked as an "embedded philosopher" in different interdisciplinary science projects, including complexity science, systems biology, and biotechnology. I want to understand and help exercise response/abilities in science, through humanities and arts resources.
I am a Visiting Research Scholar at the UCSD Institute for Practical Ethics in Spring and Summer 2018.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Appreciation through use: How industrial technology articulates an ecology of values around Norwegian seaweed. Philosophy & Technology.
- (2016) Introduction: Grand challenges and small steps. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 56.
- (2016) Is it possible to give scientific solutions to Grand Challenges? On the idea of Grand Challenges for life science research. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 56.
- (2012) How Ordinary Race Concepts Get to Be Usable in Biomedical Science: An Account of Founded Race Concepts. Philosophy of science (East Lansing). vol. 79 (5).
- (2012) The Nazi Cosmetic: Medicine in the Service of Beauty. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part C: Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. vol. 43 (3).
- (2011) Hunting causes and using them: Is there no bridge from here to there?. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science. vol. 25 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2018) Im Angesicht der Gesichter: Technologien des Gesichtsverlusts in der Tierforschung. Philosophie der Tierforschung: Band 3 Milieus und Akteure.
- (2017) Performance and Philosophy of Science: Trashfiguring Epistemic Cultures Through the Performance Art of FYTA. The Black Book of FYTA.
- (2016) Genetics and Racial Minorities in the United States. The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- (2014) Interdisciplinarity In Action. Philosophy of Social Science: A New Introduction.
- (2012) Crossover Research: Exploring a Collaborative Mode of Integration. Little by Little. Expansions of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies.
- (2018) Sophia starta oppropet #metooakademia. På Høyden [Avis]. 2018-01-22.
- (2017) Data, doxa and delta: The metaphysics of the alphabet or facing signs. Documena 2017 . Athens Biennale; FYTA; Bagkeion, Athens. 2017-04-15 - 2017-04-16.
- (2017) Personalising Randomised Clinical Trials: What is the right target?. International Society for History Philosphy and Social Studies of Biology ; 2017-07-19.
- (2017) The Happiest People in the World (Panel Debate). A Night of Philosophy ; 2017-09-01 - 2017-09-02.
- (2017) Synergies between RRI, Feminist Technoscience and artistic practice: Responsibility as an ability to respond. S.NET 2017: Engaging the Flux . The Society for the Study of New and Emerging Technologies; Phoenix, Arizona. 2017-10-09 - 2017-10-11.
- (2015) Co-authoring across the sciences and humanities –and why it is so hard!. Performing ELSA special workshop ; 2015-02-01 - 2016-02-02.
- (2014) Ideobics. Performance Philosophy School of Athens [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] ; 2014-03-15 - 2014-03-16.