Background and activities
Stein Kaasa is Professor of Palliative Medicine at the Institute of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim (NTNU). His responsibilities include the development of the core curriculum in palliative medicine and the development of the Nordic specialist postgraduate training curriculum in palliative medicine. Professor Kaasa’s main research interests are: basic research in assessment and classification of symptoms and subjective health; experimental and descriptive clinical studies in palliative medicine and cancer research; pain treatment including translational research on opioids and on cachexia.
Recently, the European Palliaitve Care Research Centre (PRC) was established in Trondheim, Norway; Stein Kaasa is the chair of this research intitative aiming at improving palliative patient care, including end of life care, through research of highest quality in an international setting. He is also chair of the European Association for Palliative Care Research Network (EAPC RN) and the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) task force on cancer pain, and principal investigator of the European Palliative Care Research Collaborative (EPCRC). Stein Kaasa is National Cancer Director at the Norwegian Directorate for Health.
Professor Kaasa has published more than 300 articles and book chapters. He has authored the Nordic Textbook of Palliative Care and is co-author of the Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine. Professor Kaasa advises many international journals – either as an advisory board member or as a reviewer (Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Palliative Medicine, Journal of Palliative Medicine, Oncology, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Pain, Lancet Oncology).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Clinical Predictors for Analgesic Response to Radiotherapy in Patients with Painful Bone Metastases. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- (2021) Using process indicators to monitor documentation of patient-centred variables in an integrated oncology and palliative care pathway—results from a cluster randomized trial. Cancers. vol. 13 (9).
- (2021) The short-term impact of methylprednisolone on patient-reported sleep in patients with advanced cancer in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Supportive Care in Cancer. vol. 29 (4).
- (2021) Overall survival after initial radiotherapy for brain metastases; a population based study of 2140 patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Acta Oncologica.
- (2021) Surgery for brain metastases–real-world prognostic factors’ association with survival. Acta Oncologica.
- (2021) Spiritual quality of life in family carers of patients with advanced cancer—a cross-sectional study. Supportive Care in Cancer. vol. 29.
- (2021) Neuropathic pain: clinical classification and assessment in patients with pain due to cancer. Pain. vol. 162 (3).
- (2020) Power comparisons and clinical meaning of outcome measures in assessing treatment effect in cancer cachexia: secondary analysis from a randomised pilot multimodal intervention trial. Frontiers in Nutrition. vol. 7:602775.
- (2020) Fully Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care Services at a Local Hospital in Mid-Norway: Development and Operation of an Innovative Care Delivery Model. Pain and Therapy. vol. 9.
- (2020) PATIENT VOICES, a project for the integration of the systematic assessment of patient reported outcomes and experiences within a comprehensive cancer center: a protocol for a mixed method feasibility study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. vol. 18 (1).
- (2020) Identification of genetic polymorphisms modulating nausea and vomiting in two series of opioid-treated cancer patients. Scientific Reports. vol. 10 (1).
- (2020) Mild to Moderate Cognitive Impairment Does Not Affect the Ability to Self-Report Important Symptoms in Patients With Cancer: A Prospective Longitudinal Multinational Study (EPCCS). Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. vol. 60 (2).
- (2020) Chemotherapy During Pregnancy for Advanced Colon Cancer: A Case Report. Clinical colorectal cancer. vol. 19 (2).
- (2020) Intention-to-Treat Analyses for Randomized Controlled Trials in Hospice/Palliative Care: The Case for Analyses to be of People Exposed to the Intervention. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. vol. 59 (3).
- (2020) Symptoms in the general Norwegian adult population - prevalence and associated factors. BMC Public Health. vol. 20.
- (2020) Elderly gynaecological cancer patients at risk for poor end of life care: a population-based study from the Swedish Register of Palliative Care. Acta Oncologica. vol. 59 (6).
- (2020) Physical rehabilitation in patients with head and neck cancer: Impact on health-related quality of life and suitability of a post-treatment program. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology (LIO). vol. 5 (2).
- (2019) The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: chronic cancer-related pain. Pain. vol. 160 (1).
- (2019) The relationship between pain, analgesics and survival in patients with advanced cancer; a secondary data analysis of the international European palliative care Cancer symptom study. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
- (2019) Predictors and trajectory of performance status in patients with advanced cancer: A secondary data analysis of the international European Palliative Care Cancer Symptom study. Palliative Medicine. vol. 33(2).