Background and activities
- TKP4180 Bioenergy and Fiber Technology
- TKP4850 Experts in Teamwork: Biofuels - a Solution or a Problem?
Utilization of renewable raw materials for the production of materials, chemicals and energy for a sustainable future
- Physical chemistry of plant polysaccharides
- Wood chemistry with emphasis on polysaccharide chemistry
- Pretreatment and hydrolysis of lignocellulosics for second generation biofuels and biorefineries
- Biorefinery processes
Approximately 25 publications in international refereed scientific journals and books (H-index: 14). Approximately 50 presentations at international scientific conferences.
- MSc, NTH Department of Biotechnology 1988
- PhD, NTH Department of Biotechnology 1993
- Research Scientist, NTH Department of Biotechnology 1993-1995
- Assistant Professor, NTH Department of Chemical Engineering 1995-1996
- Post doc, Institute of Paper Science and Technology (Atlanta GA, USA) 1996-1997
- Associate Professor, NTNU Department of Chemical Engineering since 1998
- Sabbatical at Norske Skog Skogn 2000-2001
- TKP4581 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project
- TKP4535 - Environmental Engineering and Reactor Technology, Specialization Course
- TKP4180 - Biofuels and Biorefineries
- TKP4580 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Enzymatic pretreatment of steam-exploded birch wood for increased biogas production and lignin degradation. Bioresource Technology Reports. vol. 16.
- (2021) The O-factor: using the H-factor concept to predict the outcome of organosolv pretreatment. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery.
- (2015) Ethanol organosolv pretreatment of softwood (Picea abies) and sugarcane bagasse for biofuel and biorefinery applications. Wood Science and Technology. vol. 49 (5).
- (2012) Influence of acid concentration, temperature, and time on decrystallization in two-stage concentrated sulfuric acid hydrolysis of Pinewood and Aspenwood: A statistical Approach. BioResources. vol. 7 (1).
- (2012) Application of a Pseudo-Kinetic Generalized Serverity Model to the Concentrated Sulfuric Acid Hydrolysis of Pinewood and Aspenwood. BioResources. vol. 7 (3).
- (2012) Saccharification of lignocellulosic biomass for biofuel and biorefinery applications - A renaissance for the concentrated acid hydrolysis?. Energy Procedia. vol. 20.
- (2011) Rheological Studies of Microfibrillar Cellulose Water Dispersions. Journal of Polymers and the Environment. vol. 19 (1).
- (2005) Estimating the pulping yield by carbohydrate analysis. TAPPI Journal. vol. 4 (4).
- (2004) The ability of PEO to remove model colloidal extractives from solutions with different types of fines. Nordic Pulp & Paper Research Journal. vol. 19.
- (2003) Interaction between model colloidal wood resin, fillers and dissolved substances. Nordic Pulp & Paper Research Journal. vol. 18 ((2)).
- (2003) The effect of dissolved substances on the adsorption of colloidal extractives to fines. Nordic Pulp & Paper Research Journal. vol. 18 ((1)).
- (2002) 4-O-beta-d-glucopyranosyl-gluconic acid (cellobionic acid)produced by ozonation of cellobiose: Isolation by HPLC and assignment of NMR chemical shifts. Journal of carbohydrate chemistry.
- (2002) Characterization of cellulose by SEC-MALLS. Cellulose. vol. 9.
- (2002) Use of Chlorine Dioxide and Ozone in Combination in Prebleaching. Journal of Pulp and Paper Science. vol. 28 (9).
- (2002) The charge and chemical composition of fines in mechanical pulp. Nordic Pulp & Paper Research Journal. vol. 17 (3).
- (2000) Size exclusion chromatography of cellulose dissolved in LiCi/DMAc using macroporous monodisperse poly(styrene-co-divinylbenzene) particles. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies. vol. 23 (15).
- (1999) Oxygen delignification of high-yield kraft pulp. Part 1, Structural properties of residual lignins. Holzforschung. vol. 53.
- (1993) Swelling of covalently crosslinked alginate gels : influence of ionic solutes and nonpolar solvents. Macromolecules.
- (1992) Temperature dependence of the elastic modulus of alginate gels. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 19.
- (2008) Biopolymer Chemistry. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2008. ISBN 978-82-519-2384-2.
Part of book/report
- (2006) Alginates. Food Polysaccharides and Their Applications.
- (2021) Organosolv Pretreatment of Nordic Spruce for Biorefinery applications. Bio4Fuels Days 2021 . NMBU; Drammen. 2021-11-17 - 2021-11-18.
- (2019) Evaluation of H-factor on the delignification of Norway Spruce by organosolv pre-treatment. Building a Sustainable European Biofuel Industry ; Gothenburg. 2019-11-04 - 2019-11-06.
- (2012) Saccharification of lignocellulosic biomass for biofuel and biorefinery applications - A renaissance for the concentrated acid hydrolysis?. Technoport 2012 ; Trondheim. 2012-04-16 - 2012-04-18.
- (2011) Fermentability of concentrated sulfuric acid hydrolyzates from aspen and pine. Bioenergy III: Present and New Perspectives on Biorefineries ; Lanzarote, Canary Islands. 2011-05-22 - 2011-05-27.
- (2007) Annual variations in TMP pulp quality: A quest for causality. 14th International Symposium on Wood, Fibre and Pulping Chemistry ; Durban. 2007-06-25 - 2007-06-28.
- (2006) Chemical surface modification of microfibrillated cellulose. 231st ACS National Meeting ; Atlanda. 2006-03-29.
- (2003) Enhancing the Chemical Basis for Improved Kraft Pulping with PS, AQ and PS/AQ. 12th International Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry . [Mangler data]; Madison, WI, USA. 2003-06-12.
- (2003) Swelling of mechanical pulp fines after chemical treatment. 12th International Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry. . [Mangler data]; Madison, WI, USA. 2003-06-12.
- (2003) Details on molecular weight distribution of carbohydrates in kraft cooking using anthraquinone, polysulfide and hydrogen sulfide gas pretreatment. 12th International Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry. . [Mangler data]; Madison, WI, USA. 2003-06-12.
- (2002) Start-up and tuning of a modern newsprint DIP mill - theory versus practice. 1st Scandinavian-Italian Technical Meeting on Process Technology in the Forest Industry . [Mangler data]; Stockholm, Sweden. 2002-06-07.
- (2001) Carbohydrate profiles of kraft pulps manufactured with white liquor additives. 11th International Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry . [Mangler data]; Nice, France, 11.-14. Jun. 2001.
- (1999) Structural changes in kraft pulp residual lignin upon peracetic acid treatment. Proceedings 10th ISWPC . [Mangler data]; Yokohama, 1999.
- (1999) Changes in cellulosic structure during carboxymethylation studied by NMR spectroscopy and X-ray scattering. Proceedings 10th ISWPC . [Mangler data]; Yokohama, 1999.
- (1998) Reaction products from ozonation of dissolved carbohydrates. 1998 International Pulp Bleaching Conference . [Mangler data]; [Mangler data].
- (1998) Improving the pulp yield using PS/AQ and/or two stage oxygen delignification. Breaking the Pulp Yield Barrier Symposium . [Mangler data]; [Mangler data].
- (1998) Size exclusion chromatography of cellulose : a novel application of macroporous monodisperse particles. International Carbohydrate Symposium . [Mangler data]; San Diego, USA.
- (1997) Viscosity loss and molecular weight degradation during etherification of high-molecular weight cellulose. 9th International Symposium on Wood and Pulping Chemistry . [Mangler data]; Montreal, Canada.
- (1996) Extended delignification of kraft pulping by anthraquinone, methanol and black liquor. 1996 TAPPI Pulping Conference . [Mangler data]; [Mangler data].