Svein Erik Bratsberg
Background and activities
Professor at NTNU/IDI since aug 2001 in distributed systems with focus on databases and search engines. Previously employed in Clustra which developed highly available, scalable real-time databases. In the years 2007-14 I worked on the SFI iAD - information access disruptions, where Microsoft was the centre leader. This was work on next generation search engines, where the focus at NTNU was on scalabale indexes and structured queries. The research focus now is on velocity in Big data, where I try start database projects with the industry.
My courses are the following:
TDT4145 Data modeling and database management systems
TDT4225 Very large, distributed data volumes
TDT4150 Advanced database systems
TDT4305 Big data architecture
TDT02 Advanced, distributed systems
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Entity Linking in Queries: Efficiency vs. Effectiveness. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10193 LNCS.
- (2016) On the Reproducibility of the TAGME Entity Linking System. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9626.
- (2013) Improving the performance of pipelined query processing with skipping—and its comparison to document-wise partitioning. World wide web (Bussum).
- (2012) Dynamic optimization of queries in pivot-based indexing. Multimedia tools and applications. vol. 60 (2).
- (2012) Improving the Performance of Pipelined Query Processing with Skipping. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7651.
- (2012) Intra-Query Concurrent Pipelined Processing for Distributed Full-Text Retrieval. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7224.
- (2011) Efficient Compressed Inverted Index Skipping for Disjunctive Text-Queries. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6611.
- (2010) A Combined Semi-Pipelined Query Processing Architecture for Distributed Full-Text Retrieval. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6488.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Dynamic Factual Summaries for Entity Cards. Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval.
- (2017) DBpedia-Entity v2: A Test Collection for Entity Search. Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval.
- (2016) Exploiting Entity Linking in Queries for Entity Retrieval. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval.
- (2015) Entity Linking in Queries: Tasks and Evaluation. Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on The Theory of Information Retrieval.
- (2014) A greedy algorithm for finding sets of entity linking interpretations in queries. Proceedings of the first international workshop on Entity recognition & disambiguation.
- (2009) Impact of the Query Model and System Settings on Performance of Distributed Inverted Indexes. NIK 2009.
- (2001) Online Scaling in a Highly Available Database. Proceedings of 27th International Conference on very Large Database, Roma, Italy, September 11-14, 2001.