Background and activities
The strategy of my research group is to study the functions of the complement system, inflammasomes and Toll-like receptors in relation to signaling induced by microbes and cholesterol crystals. Our research points to new targets and strategies for treatment of inflammatory diseases. I am the director of Centre of Molecular Inflammation Research (CEMIR) which is a Centre of Excellence (https://www.ntnu.edu/cemir).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Combined blockade of complement C5 and TLR co-receptor CD14 synergistically inhibits pig-to-human corneal xenograft induced innate inflammatory responses. Acta Biomaterialia. vol. 127.
- (2021) UMP-CMP kinase 2 gene expression in macrophages is dependent on the IRF3-IFNAR signaling axis. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (10).
- (2021) Mitochondrial C5aR1 activity in macrophages controls IL-1β production underlying sterile inflammation. Science immunology. vol. 6 (66).
- (2021) Benzyl-para-di-[5-methyl-4-(n-octylamino) pyrimidin-2(1H)one] as an interferon beta (IFN-β) modulator. Molecular diversity.
- (2020) TLR8 and complement C5 induce cytokine release and thrombin activation in human whole blood challenged with Gram-positive bacteria. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. vol. 107 (4).
- (2020) Cholesterol crystals use complement to increase NLRP3 signaling pathways in coronary and carotid atherosclerosis. EBioMedicine. vol. 60:102985.
- (2019) Serum Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Immunology-Related Gene Expression in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells: A Cross-Sectional Analysis in Healthy Children. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. vol. 63 (7).
- (2019) Cholesterol Crystals Induce coagulation Activation through Complement-Dependent Expression of Monocytic Tissue Factor. Journal of Immunology. vol. 203 (4).
- (2019) NHDL, a recombinant VL/VH hybrid antibody control for IgG2/4 antibodies. mAbs. vol. 12:e1686319 (1).
- (2019) Legumain is upregulated in acute cardiovascular events and associated with improved outcome – potentially related to anti-inflammatory effects on macrophages. Atherosclerosis.
- (2019) Human Toll-like receptor 8 (TLR8) is an important sensor of pyogenic bacteria, and is attenuated by cell surface TLR signaling. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 10:1209 (May).
- (2019) Profiling of immune-related gene expression in children with familial hypercholesterolaemia. Journal of Internal Medicine.
- (2019) Alpha-cyclodextrin inhibits cholesterol crystal-induced complement-mediated inflammation: A potential new compound for treatment of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. vol. 283.
- (2019) Phagocytosis of live and dead Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus in human whole blood is markedly reduced by combined inhibition of C5aR1 and CD14. Molecular Immunology. vol. 112.
- (2019) The TLR4 adaptor TRAM controls the phagocytosis of Gram-negative bacteria by interacting with the Rab11-family interacting protein 2. PLoS Pathogens. vol. 15:e1007684 (3).
- (2019) Complement component C5 and TLR molecule CD14 mediate heme-induced thromboinflammation in human blood. Journal of Immunology. vol. 203 (6).
- (2018) Coactivation of TLR2 and TLR8 in primary human monocytes triggers a distinct inflammatory signaling response. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9 (MAY).
- (2018) Western Diet Triggers NLRP3-Dependent Innate Immune Reprogramming. Cell. vol. 172 (1-2).
- (2018) Interleukin-6 receptor inhibition with tocilizumab induces a selective and substantial increase in plasma IP-10 and MIP-1β in non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. International Journal of Cardiology. vol. 271.
- (2018) Complement component 5 does not interfere with physiological hemostasis but is essential for Escherichia coli-induced coagulation accompanied by Toll-like receptor 4. Clinical and Experimental Immunology.