Background and activities
The strategy of my research group is to study the functions of the complement system, inflammasomes and Toll-like receptors in relation to signaling induced by microbes and cholesterol crystals. Our research points to new targets and strategies for treatment of inflammatory diseases. I am the director of Centre of Molecular Inflammation Research (CEMIR) which is a Centre of Excellence (https://www.ntnu.edu/cemir).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Serum Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Immunology-Related Gene Expression in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells: A Cross-Sectional Analysis in Healthy Children. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. vol. 63 (7).
- (2019) Cholesterol Crystals Induce coagulation Activation through Complement-Dependent Expression of Monocytic Tissue Factor. Journal of Immunology. vol. 203 (4).
- (2019) Human Toll-like receptor 8 (TLR8) is an important sensor of pyogenic bacteria, and is attenuated by cell surface TLR signaling. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 10:1209 (May).
- (2019) Profiling of immune-related gene expression in children with familial hypercholesterolaemia. Journal of Internal Medicine.
- (2019) Alpha-cyclodextrin inhibits cholesterol crystal-induced complement-mediated inflammation: A potential new compound for treatment of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. vol. 283.
- (2019) Phagocytosis of live and dead Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus in human whole blood is markedly reduced by combined inhibition of C5aR1 and CD14. Molecular Immunology. vol. 112.
- (2019) The TLR4 adaptor TRAM controls the phagocytosis of Gram-negative bacteria by interacting with the Rab11-family interacting protein 2. PLoS Pathogens. vol. 15:e1007684 (3).
- (2019) Complement component C5 and TLR molecule CD14 mediate heme-induced thromboinflammation in human blood. Journal of Immunology. vol. 203 (6).
- (2018) Coactivation of TLR2 and TLR8 in primary human monocytes triggers a distinct inflammatory signaling response. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9 (MAY).
- (2018) Western Diet Triggers NLRP3-Dependent Innate Immune Reprogramming. Cell. vol. 172 (1-2).
- (2018) Interleukin-6 receptor inhibition with tocilizumab induces a selective and substantial increase in plasma IP-10 and MIP-1β in non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. International Journal of Cardiology. vol. 271.
- (2018) Complement component 5 does not interfere with physiological hemostasis but is essential for Escherichia coli-induced coagulation accompanied by Toll-like receptor 4. Clinical and Experimental Immunology.
- (2018) RORα controls inflammatory state of human macrophages. PLOS ONE. vol. 13 (11).
- (2018) IL-6 receptor inhibition by tocilizumab attenuated expression of C5a receptor 1 and 2 in non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Staphylococcus aureus-induced complement activation promotes tissue factor-mediated coagulation. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. vol. 16 (5).
- (2018) Combined Inhibition of C5 and CD14 Attenuates Systemic Inflammation in a Piglet Model of Meconium Aspiration Syndrome. Neonatology. vol. 113 (4).
- (2018) SLA MF1 is required for TLR4-mediated TRAM-TRIF- dependent signaling in human macrophages. Journal of Cell Biology. vol. 217 (4).
- (2017) Cyclodextrin Reduces Cholesterol Crystal-Induced Inflammation by Modulating Complement Activation. Journal of Immunology. vol. 199 (8).
- (2017) Dual inhibition of complement and Toll-like receptors as a novel approach to treat inflammatory diseases-C3 or C5 emerge together with CD14 as promising targets. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. vol. 101 (1).
- (2017) Surface Toll-Like Receptor 3 Expression in Metastatic Intestinal Epithelial Cells induces Selective Cytokine Production and Promotes Invasiveness. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 292 (37).