Background and activities
About Terje RølvågBackground.
Rølvåg holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within finite element dynamics of elastic mechanisms from NTH. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Fedem Technology AS and TRAC, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2003 he has been a full time professor within the Engineering Design group at IPM.
Rølvågs research interests cover computer science applied for engineering applications focusing on simulation of behaviour and strength of electromechanical products. The simulation techniques are based on non-linear Finite Element formulations and control science (FEDEM).
His research fields also includes Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create attractive products with maximum customer value. The relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Rølvåg is currently in charge of the PLM Lab and the LPD project. In this project, research scientists from Norway, Sweden and USA were developing new methods and tools for knowledge based product development ( we call it Lean Product Development ).
Entrepreneurship – Innovation.
Rølvåg has been central in developing FEDEM, a finite element based modeling and simulation tool with multidisciplinary capabilities (see www.fedem.com). The company was recently acquired by SAP, and Rølvåg is engaged by Fedem to adopt the software to Digital Twins. Rølvåg has also invented several new products like Easy Roller II, and has recently patented a generic flexible mechanism. In 2009-2011, Rølvåg implemetented this mechanism in ColiCot, a cradle for infants with colic or other sleeping problems. Rølvåg is currently working with Fedem development, new patents and innovative video based teaching.
- TMM4155 - Finite Element Applications in Mechanical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TMM4155#tab=omEmnet)
- TMM4125 - Industriell IKT Intro (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TMM4125#tab=omEmnet )
- TMM4250 - Advanced Product Simulation (http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TMM4250#tab=omEmnet)
Rølvåg also supervise master students in structural, thermal, control and mechanism analysis within the automotive, offshore, robotics, windmills, defense and aerospace industries. This work include a wide range of PLM tools like NX, Nastran, Abaqus, FEDEM, Catia, and SolidWorks
Please contact Rølvåg for more information on how to initiate student projects and master thesis. You can call +47 40065114 or visit him in the PLM lab at Perleporten (room 246B).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Relating structural test and FEA data with STEP AP209. Advances in Engineering Software. vol. 127.
- (2017) Dynamic test bench for motocross engines. Advances in Mechanical Engineering. vol. 9 (10).
- (2016) Product architecture design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design. vol. 27 (4).
- (2016) FE simulation of soft wing impactor for aviation mast frangibility testing – sensitivity to model assumptions. International Journal of Crashworthiness. vol. 21 (5).
- (2015) Conceptual design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design. vol. 26 (3).
- (2015) DUBLETT - Conceptual design of multi-modal products. Research in Engineering Design.
- (2015) Using finite modeling and simulations to test MotoGP race bikes. International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing. vol. 10 (1).
- (2014) Modal analysis of active flexible multibody systems containing PID controllers with non-collocated sensors and actuators. Finite elements in analysis and design (Print). vol. 91.
- (2014) Construction of an instrumented roller ski and validation of three-dimensional forces in the skating technique. Sports Engineering. vol. 17 (1).
- (2014) Influence of pole and slot combinations on magnetic forces and vibration in low-speed PM wind generators. IEEE transactions on magnetics. vol. 50 (5).
- (2014) Slot harmonic effect on magnetic forces and vibration in low-speed permanent-magnet machine with concentrated windings. IEEE transactions on industry applications. vol. 50 (5).
- (2013) A method for controller parameter estimation based on perturbations. Engineering with Computers.
- (2013) Lean Systems Engineering (LSE): Hands-on Experiences in Applying LSE to a Student Eco-Car Build Project. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 16.
- (2011) Modal analysis of active flexible multibody systems. Computers & structures. vol. 89 (9-10).
Part of book/report
- (2018) LEANIFICATION OF THE ENGINEERING PROCESS FOR CUSTOMIZED ROAD SAFETY PRODUCTS. Proceedings of the DESIGN 2018 15th International Design Conference.
- (2015) A Revision of Product Architecture Design for Multi-Modal Products. DS 80-7 Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 15) Vol 7: Product Modularisation, Product Architecture, systems Engineering,Product Service Systems, Milan, Italy, 27-30.07.15.
- (2011) A Framework for application of the lean concept within new-product innovation. 2011 Lean and Six Sigma Conference : Proceedings.
- (1993) Updated multidiscipline simulation : user's guide. 1993. Rapport / ESPRIT-prosjekt # 5524 MDS (D2106).
- (1993) Software documentation document. 1993. Rapport / ESPRIT-prosjekt # 5524 MDS (D2107).