Background and activities
I have worked on online voltage stability monitoring based on PMU measurements. I have developed an new indicator called S-Z sensitivity. Based on this indicator, one can in real time detect whether a considered load is wihthin the maximum loadability or not. Further, one can use the S-Z sensitivity to compute the Thevenin impedance at the considered load bus, which forms another indicator for online voltage stability assessment. Based on this algorithm, an online application called Vapp has been built and gone in operation since 2014. This app continuously receives a live stream of PMU data from Statnett to assess voltage stability at some 420 kV and 130 kV locations in the Norwegian transmission system.
Currently I am working in the Spandex project with Statnett, GE and SINTEF as partners. One of the objectives is to build new PMU-based applications mainly in monitoring and protection and get them tested by the system operators in the control room under real-life conditions. We have developed real-time applications for power oscillation monitoring and fault location in compensated grid, which have been working properly in real time with PMU data from Statnett.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Estimation of hydro turbine-governor system's transfer function from PMU measurements. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting. vol. 2016-November.
Part of book/report
- (2017) A Topology-based Scheme for Adaptive Underfrequency Load Shedding. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2017) Voltage Stability Monitoring using a Modified Thevenin Impedance. 12th IEEE Power and Energy Society PowerTech Conference PowerTech Manchester 2017.
- (2015) A scheme for coordinated secondary voltage control for systems with multiple VAr reserves. 2015 IEEE Power & Energy Society Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference, ISGT 2015.
- (2015) A Comparative Case Study of Online Voltage Instability Monitoring. PowerTech Eindhoven 2015.
- (2014) Analysis of Impacts of SVC on Voltage Collapse Mechanism and Maximum Loadability. International Conference and Utility Exhibition on Green Energy for Sustainable Development (ICUE), 2014.
- (2014) A Method for Real Time Voltage Stability Monitoring in Sub-transmission Networks. 18th Power system Computations Conference - PSCC 2014.
- (2013) Online voltage stability monitoring based on PMU measurements and system topology. 3rd International Conference on Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems EPECS.
- (2016) Online Voltage Stability Monitoring and Coordinated Secondary Voltage Control. 2016. ISBN 978-82-326-1822-4. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2016:242).