Background and activities
Dr Tobias Schumacher is Professor of European Studies at the Department of Historical and Classical Studies (IHK) at NTNU. He is also Full Professor of International Relations and Chairholder of the European Neighbourhood Policy Chair at the College of Europe, Natolin campus (Warsaw, Poland) (Professor 2).
He has held a number of distinguished fellowships, including: John F. Kennedy Memorial Fellow at the Minda de Gunzburg Centre for European Studies at Harvard University, Cambridge MA., USA; Visiting Fellow at Pembroke College, Cambridge University, United Kingdom; Marie Curie Fellow and Jean Monnet Fellow respectively at the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy; and Associate Senior Research Fellow at the Center for International Studies (CEI), Lisbon University Institute, Lisbon, Portugal. For several years, he has also been serving as Visiting Professor at Sciences Po, Rennes, France.
Professor Schumacher is the author of more than 100 books, edited volumes, articles, book chapters, and policy papers on EU external action towards the EU's neighbourhood and beyond, and Middle East and North African politics as well as Eastern European politics, respectively. His journal articles have appeared in, inter alia, JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, Geopolitics, Mediterranean Politics, Democratization, European Security, Contemporary Politics, Global Affairs, European Foreign Affairs Review, Global Discourse, and many others.
- European Integration
- (European) Foreign Policy Analysis
- EU External Action and EU Norms Diffusion
- The European Neighbourhood Policy
- EU-Middle East Relations
- Eastern European Politics
- Middle East and North African Politics
- Theories of International Relations
2011: Scientific award for academic excellence of the University Institute of Lisbon, Portugal.
SUPERVISION OF RESEARCH:
Professor Schumacher supervises theses at all levels in European Studies and International Relations and welcomes inquiries from prospective students.
Professor Schumacher is a frequent contributor to international media outlets. Inter alia, he was interviewed by Wall Street Journal, CTV News Channel, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Österreichischer Rundfunk, Swiss Radio, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Polskie Radio, LUSA, Ansa, Publico, Visao, Makedonia, The Times, An Nahar, Sanlian Life Weekly. His opinion pieces have appeared in: The New Republic, Europe's World, openDemocracy, New Europe, Project Syndicate, Financial Times Deutschland, Frankfurter Rundschau, The European Voice.
CONSULTANCIES / POLICY ADVICE:
Professor Schumacher has advised various Directorate-Generals of the European Commission, the European External Action Service (EEAS), as well as several Foreign Ministries of EU Member States. He has also been part of many external evaluations on issues such as, e.g., EU macro-financial assistance, EU communication practices, and higher education in Eastern Europe, commissioned by, inter alia, the European Commission and the Austrian Development Agency (ADA).
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST:
- Deputy Editor, Mediterranean Politics
- Member of the Editorial Board, Insight Turkey
- Member of the Scientific Board, Institute for European Politics, Berlin, Germany
- Member of the Academic Council, European Neighbourhood Council, Brussels, Belgium
- Member of the International Advisory Board, European Forum Alpbach (EFA), Vienna, Austria
- Member of the International Advisory Board, Belgrade Center for Security Policy (BCSP), Belgrade, Serbia
- Member of the International Advisory Board, book series Europe and the world, Lexington Books / Rowman and Littlefield
- EUR3418 - The EU as a Global Actor
- EUR1001 - Introduction to the European Union
- EUR2201 - European Integration Theory
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Going back and forth: European Union resilience-building in Moldova between 2014 and 2020. Journal of Contemporary European Studies.
- (2021) Territorial Conflict, Domestic Crisis, and the Covid-19 Pandemic in the South Caucasus. Explaining Variegated EU Responses. Journal of Common Market Studies. vol. 59 (S1).
- (2020) The Politics of Flexibility. Exploring the Contested Statehood–EU Actorness Nexus in Georgia. Geopolitics. vol. 25 (2).
- (2020) The EU and its Neighbourhood: The Politics of Muddling Through. Journal of Common Market Studies. vol. 58 (S1).
- (2019) Crisis, Coordination and Coherence: European Decision-Making and the 2015 European Neighbourhood Policy Review. European Foreign Affairs Review. vol. 24 (4).
- (2019) Reply: Reflections on Borders, Boundaries and the Limits of Europe. Global Discourse. vol. 9 (1).
- (2018) The EU, Middle Eastern powers and milieu-shaping in the ‘shared’ Arab Mediterranean neighbourhood: a story of mutual neglect. Contemporary Politics. vol. 24 (1).
- (2016) Of policy entrepreneurship, bandwagoning and free-riding: EU member states and multilateral cooperation frameworks for Europe’s southern neighbourhood. Global Affairs. vol. 2 (3).
- (2015) Uncertainty at the EU's borders: narratives of EU external relations in the revised European Neighbourhood Policy towards the southern borderlands. European Security. vol. 24 (3).
- (2015) Russia's Foreign Policy Towards North Africa in the Wake of the Arab Spring. Mediterranean Politics. vol. 20 (1).
- (2011) Germany and Central and Eastern European Countries: Laggards or Veto-players?. Mediterranean Politics. vol. 16 (1).
- (2011) The EU and the Arab Spring: Between Spectatorship and Actorness. Insight Turkey. vol. 13 (3).
- (2011) Wohlstand für Wenige. Die arabische Welt fordert mehr Partizipation und soziale Gerechtigkeit. Internationale Politik.
- (2011) From Brussels with love: leverage, benchmarking, and the action plans with Jordan and Tunisia in the EU's democratization policy. Democratization. vol. 18 (4).
- (2010) Explaining Foreign Policy: Germany, Poland and Great Britain in Times of French-Inspired Euro-Mediterranean Initiatives. Etudes Helleniques / Hellenic Studies. vol. 17 (2).
- (2005) From EMP to ENP: What’s at Stake with the European Neighbourhood Policy towards the Southern Mediterranean?. European Foreign Affairs Review. vol. 10 (1).
- (2005) Zum Mythos des Fortschrittsoptimismus der Euro-Mediterranen Partnerschaft : die wirtschaftspolitische Verklammerung der EU mit den Ländern des südlichen Mittelmeerraumes zwischen 1995-2005. Orient. vol. 46 (3).
- (2004) Riding on the Winds of Change: The Future of the Euro‐Mediterranean Partnership. The International Spectator: Italian Journal of International Affairs. vol. 39 (2).
- (2004) Culture and Community in the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership: A Roundtable on the Third Basket, Alexandria 5-7 October 2003. Mediterranean Politics. vol. 7 (1).
- (2002) Krisenpotenziale an Europas südlicher Peripherie. Politische und sozioökonomische Trends in dem Großraum zwischen Rabat und Damaskus. KAS-Auslandsinformationen.
- (2001) The Mediterranean as a New Foreign Policy Challenge? Sweden and the Barcelona Process. Mediterranean Politics. vol. 6 (3).
- (1999) EU-ASEAN Trade Relations between Political Rhetoric and Economic Reality. ASIEN – The German Journal on Contemporary Asia.
- (2022) The European Union and its Eastern Neighbourhood. Whither 'Eastern Partnership'?. Routledge. 2022. ISBN 9780367538958.
- (2018) The Routledge Handbook on the European Neighbourhood Policy. Routledge. 2018. ISBN 9781138913721.
- (2017) The Revised European Neighbourhood Policy. Continuity and Change in EU Foreign Policy. Palgrave Macmillan. 2017. ISBN 9781137471826.
- (2007) Conceptualizing Cultural and Social Dialogue in the Euro-Mediterranean Area. A European Perspective. Routledge. 2007. ISBN 9781138971417.
- (2005) Die Europäische Union als internationaler Akteur im südlichen Mittelmeerraum. 'Actor Capability' und EU-Mittelmeerpolitik. Nomos. 2005. ISBN 978-3-8329-1130-0.
- (1998) Die Maghreb-Politik der Europäischen Union. Gemeinschaftliche Assoziierungspraxis gegenüber Algerien, Marokko und Tunesien. Springer. 1998. ISBN 9783322812575.
Part of book/report
- (2022) The European Union, its Eastern Neighbourhood and an Evolving Structured Engagement within and beyond the Eastern Partnership Framework. The European Union and its Eastern Neighbourhood. Whither 'Eastern Partnership'?.
- (2022) Looking Backward: Deliverables and Drawbacks of the Eastern Partnership during 2009-2020. The European Union and its Eastern Neighbourhood. Whither 'Eastern Partnership'?.
- (2022) The EU and the Gulf Cooperation Council. A Troubled Relationship. Routledge Handbook of EU-Middle East Relations.
- (2021) Mittelmeerpolitik. Jahrbuch der Europäischen Integration 2021.
- (2020) The EU, Resilience and the Southern Neighbourhood After the Arab Uprisings. Projecting Resilience across the Mediterranean.
- (2019) Mittelmeerpolitik. Jahrbuch der Europäischen Integration 2019.
- (2018) Mittelmeerpolitik. Jahrbuch der Europäischen Integration 2018.
- (2018) The European Neighbourhood Policy: The challenge of demarcating a complex and contested field of study. The Routledge Handbook on the European Neighbourhood Policy.
- (2017) Southern Europe: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Malta, Greece, Cyprus. Foreign Policies of EU Member States: Continuity and Europeanisation.
- (2017) EU member states’ representation and positioning and the north-south divide in Euro-Mediterranean affairs. The Routledge Handbook of Mediterranean Politics.
- (2017) The 2011 Revised European Neighbourhood Policy: Continuity and Change in EU Foreign Policy. The Revised European Neighbourhood Policy. Continuity and Change in EU Foreign Policy.
- (2015) The European Union and Democracy Promotion: Readjusting to the Arab Spring. Routledge Handbook of the Arab Spring: Rethinking Democratization.
- (2013) From Brussels with love: leverage, bemchmarking, and the action plans with Jordan and Tunisia in the EU’s democratization policy. Democracy Promotion in the EU’s Neighbourhood. From Leverage to Governance?.
- (2012) Conditionality, Differentiation, Regionality and the ‘new’ ENP in the Light of Arab Revolts. The Challenge of Differentiation in Euro-Mediterranean Relations. Flexible Regional Cooperation or Fragmentation.
- (2012) Germany and Central and Eastern European Countries: Laggards or Veto-players?. The Union for the Mediterranean.
- (2012) Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Countries and Yemen. The European Union and the Arab Spring. Promoting Democracy and Human Rights in the Middle East.
- (2007) The Middle East and North Africa. Bertelsmann Transformation Index 2008. Political Management in International Comparison.
- (2016) Armenia, Azerbaijan and the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict: why the 'black garden' will not blossom any time soon. 2016.
- (2015) From Survival to Revival: The Riga Summit 2015 and the Revised ENP. 2015.
- (2022) Det europeiske kvarter. En podkast om europeisk politikk og historie. Sesong 3, episode 20: Ukraina og EU. Kristine Graneng og Lise Rye, Trondheim. 2022.
- (2022) ENC In-Depth Podcast Series: War in Ukraine – Episode 6. Brussels [Internett]. 2022-03-23.
- (2022) EUs reaksjon mot Putin. For lite, for sent?. Adresseavisen [Avis]. 2022-03-02.
- (2022) Past, current and future challenges in EU-Gulf Cooperation Council relations. The EU and the Middle East and North Africa: Past, Present and Future Entanglements and Challenges . College of Europe; Warsaw. 2022-04-25 - 2022-04-25.
- (2022) Tysklands sikkerhetspolitiske u-sving. Og nå?. Trønderdebatt [Internett]. 2022-03-11.