Tone Frost Bathen
Background and activities
As head of the The MR Cancer Group, my main research interests are focused towards personalised medicine and studies of functional and metabolic properties of cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS). By developing, optimising and applying advanced MR (in combination with other molecular methods) to characterize cancer, our goal is to establish better diagnostic tools for stratification of patients to treatment and treatment monitoring. Current research activities mainly focus on breast and prostate cancer, enabled by a close collaboration with clinicians at the St. Olavs University Hospital in Trondheim. Although clinical research has high priority, a broad spectrum of systems for cancer studies provides translational research, covering ex vivo as well as in vivo MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer cells and laboratory animals. We also maintain several large biobanks of human tissue and biofluid samples. The research group is also involved in biomedical research related to cardiac heart disease, preeclampsia and testing of new contrast agents.
Publications registered in Pubmed:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Spatial differentiation of metabolism in prostate cancer tissue by MALDI-TOF MSI. Cancer & Metabolism.
- (2021) Cross-sectional and prospective associations between aerobic fitness and lipoprotein particle profile in a cohort of Norwegian schoolchildren. Atherosclerosis. vol. 321.
- (2021) Utility of T2-weighted MRI texture analysis in assessment of peripheral zone prostate cancer aggressiveness: a single-arm, multicenter study. Scientific Reports. vol. 11:2085.
- (2021) Exploring the diagnostic potential of adding T2 dependence in diffusion-weighted MR imaging of the prostate. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (5).
- (2020) Simultaneous detection of zinc and its pathway metabolites using MALDI MS imaging of prostate tissue. Analytical Chemistry. vol. 92 (4).
- (2020) Discrimination of Breast Cancer from Healthy Breast Tissue Using a Three-component Diffusion-weighted MRI Model. Clinical Cancer Research. vol. 27.
- (2020) Germline HOXB13 mutations p.G84E and p.R217C do not confer an increased breast cancer risk. Scientific Reports. vol. 10:9688 (1).
- (2020) Concentration and Distribution of Naphthenic Acids in the Produced Water from Offshore Norwegian North Sea Oilfields. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 54 (5).
- (2020) Detection of recurrent prostate cancer with 18F-Fluciclovine PET/MRI. Frontiers in Oncology. vol. 10:582092.
- (2020) Automated reference tissue normalization of T2-weighted MR images of the prostate using object recognition. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine.
- (2020) A quality control system for automated prostate segmentation on T2-weighted MRI. Diagnostics (Basel). vol. 10 (9).
- (2020) Modeling the diffusion-weighted imaging signal for breast lesions in the b = 200 to 3000 s/mm 2 range: quality of fit and classification accuracy for different representations. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. vol. 84 (2).
- (2019) Simultaneous detection of the cancer biomarkers zinc and citrate in prostate cancer tissue using mass spectrometry imaging. European Urology. Supplement. vol. 18 (8).
- (2019) Semi-automatic segmentation from intrinsically-registered 18F-FDG-PET/MRI for treatment response assessment in a breast cancer cohort: comparison to manual DCE-MRI. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. vol. 33.
- (2019) Metabolomics identifies placental dysfunction and confirms Flt-1 biomarker specificity. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 17.
- (2019) Metabolomics identifies placental dysfunction and confirms Flt-1 (FMS-like tyrosine kinase receptor 1) biomarker specificity. Hypertension. vol. 74 (5).
- (2019) Relative enhanced diffusivity in prostate cancer: Protocol optimization and diagnostic potential. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2019) Feasibility of contrast-enhanced MRI derived textural features to predict overall survival in locally advanced breast cancer. Acta Radiologica.
- (2019) Assessing treatment response and prognosis by serum and tissue metabolomics in breast cancer patients. Journal of Proteome Research. vol. 18 (10).
- (2019) Stromal collagen content in breast tumors correlates with in vivo diffusion-weighted imaging: A comparison of multi b-value DWI with histologic specimen from benign and malignant breast lesions. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.