Background and activities
As head of the The MR Cancer Group, my main research interests are focused towards personalised medicine and studies of functional and metabolic properties of cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS). By developing, optimising and applying advanced MR (in combination with other molecular methods) to characterize cancer, our goal is to establish better diagnostic tools for stratification of patients to treatment and treatment monitoring. Current research activities mainly focus on breast and prostate cancer, enabled by a close collaboration with clinicians at the St. Olavs University Hospital in Trondheim. Although clinical research has high priority, a broad spectrum of systems for cancer studies provides translational research, covering ex vivo as well as in vivo MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer cells and laboratory animals. We also maintain several large biobanks of human tissue and biofluid samples. The research group is also involved in biomedical research related to cardiac heart disease, preeclampsia and testing of new contrast agents.
Publications registered in Pubmed:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) APIM-peptide targeting PCNA improves the efficacy of docetaxel treatment in the TRAMP mouse model of prostate cancer. OncoTarget.
- (2017) Integrative clustering reveals a novel split in the luminal A subtype of breast cancer with impact on outcome. Breast Cancer Research. vol. 19.
- (2017) Ex vivo metabolic fingerprinting identifies biomarkers predictive of prostate cancer recurrence following radical prostatectomy. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 117 (11).
- (2017) Combined 18F-Fluciclovine PET/MRI shows potential for detection and characterization of high-risk prostate cancer. Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
- (2017) Evaluation of metabolomic changes during neoadjuvant chemotherapy combined with bevacizumab in breast cancer using MR spectroscopy. Metabolomics. vol. 13:37.
- (2017) Metabolic Response to Everolimus in Patient-Derived Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Xenografts. Journal of Proteome Research. vol. 16 (5).
- (2017) Metabolic portraits of breast cancer by HR MAS MR spectroscopy of intact tissue samples. Metabolites. vol. 7 (2:18).
- (2017) Non-Invasive Prostate Cancer Characterization with Diffusion-Weighted MRI: Insight from In silico Studies of a Transgenic Mouse Model. Frontiers in Oncology. vol. 7.
- (2017) Multiparametric Characterization of Response to Anti-angiogenic Therapy Using USPIO Contrast-enhanced MRI in Combination with Dynamic Contrast-enhanced MRI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2017) Geometric Distortion Correction in Prostate Diffusion-weighted MRI and Its Effect on Quantitative Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Analysis. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
- (2017) SFRP4 gene expression is increased in aggressive prostate cancer. Scientific Reports. vol. 7.
- (2017) High-Quality 3-Dimensional 1H Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging of the Prostate Without Endorectal Receive Coil Using A Semi-LASER Sequence. Investigative Radiology. vol. 52 (10).
- (2017) Stimulated echo diffusion tensor imaging (STEAM-DTI) with varying diffusion times as a probe of breast tissue. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 45 (1).
- (2017) Support vector machine for breast cancer classification using diffusion-weighted MRI histogram features: Preliminary study. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2017) Relative enhanced diffusivity: noise sensitivity, protocol optimization, and the relation to intravoxel incoherent motion. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2017) In vivo MR spectroscopy predicts high tumor grade in endometrial cancer. Acta Radiologica.
- (2016) Targeting choline phospholipid metabolism: GDPD5 and GDPD6 silencing decrease breast cancer cell proliferation, migration, and invasion. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 29 (8).
- (2016) A PET/MRI study towards finding the optimal [18F]Fluciclovine PET protocol for detection and characterisation of primary prostate cancer. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging.
- (2016) Lipoprotein subfractions by nuclear magnetic resonance are associated with tumor characteristics in breast cancer. Lipids in Health and Disease. vol. 15 (56).
- (2016) Presence of TMPRSS2-ERG is associated with alterations of the metabolic profile in human prostate cancer. OncoTarget.