Tone Frost Bathen
Background and activities
As head of the The MR Cancer Group, my main research interests are focused towards personalised medicine and studies of functional and metabolic properties of cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS). By developing, optimising and applying advanced MR (in combination with other molecular methods) to characterize cancer, our goal is to establish better diagnostic tools for stratification of patients to treatment and treatment monitoring. Current research activities mainly focus on breast and prostate cancer, enabled by a close collaboration with clinicians at the St. Olavs University Hospital in Trondheim. Although clinical research has high priority, a broad spectrum of systems for cancer studies provides translational research, covering ex vivo as well as in vivo MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer cells and laboratory animals. We also maintain several large biobanks of human tissue and biofluid samples. The research group is also involved in biomedical research related to cardiac heart disease, preeclampsia and testing of new contrast agents.
Publications registered in Pubmed:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Simultaneous detection of the cancer biomarkers zinc and citrate in prostate cancer tissue using mass spectrometry imaging. European urology. Supplement. vol. 18 (8).
- (2019) Semi-automatic segmentation from intrinsically-registered 18F-FDG-PET/MRI for treatment response assessment in a breast cancer cohort: comparison to manual DCE-MRI. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine.
- (2019) Metabolomics identifies placental dysfunction and confirms Flt-1 (FMS-like tyrosine kinase receptor 1) biomarker specificity. Hypertension. vol. 74 (5).
- (2019) Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen PET/Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the Planning of Salvage Radiotherapy in Patients with Prostate Cancer with Biochemical Recurrence After Radical Prostatectomy. PET Clinics.
- (2019) The effect of sampling procedures and day-to-day variations in metabolomics studies of biofluids. Analytica Chimica Acta. vol. 1081.
- (2019) Biomarker discovery using NMR based metabolomics of tissue. Methods in molecular biology. vol. 2037.
- (2019) Breast cancer quantitative proteome and proteogenomic landscape. Nature Communications.
- (2019) Breast cancer quantitative proteome and proteogenomic landscape. Nature Communications. vol. 10.
- (2019) Associations of physical activity and sedentary time with lipoprotein subclasses in Norwegian schoolchildren: The Active Smarter Kids (ASK) study. Atherosclerosis. vol. 288.
- (2019) R2* Relaxation Affects Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI in Cancer and Underestimates Treatment Response at 7 T. Tomography. vol. 5 (3).
- (2019) Detectable biomarkers in urine for prostate cancer prognosis. European urology. Supplement. vol. 18 (8).
- (2019) The effect of exercise training on myocardial and skeletal muscle metabolism by MR spectroscopy in rats with heart failure. Metabolites. vol. 9:53 (3).
- (2019) Accuracy of breast cancer lesion classification using intravoxel incoherent motion diffusion‐weighted imaging is improved by the inclusion of global or local prior knowledge with bayesian methods. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2018) Integrative metabolic and transcriptomic profiling of prostate cancer tissue containing reactive stroma. Scientific Reports. vol. 8:14269.
- (2018) Markers of mitochondrial metabolism in tumor hypoxia, systemic inflammation, and adverse outcome of rectal cancer. Translational Oncology. vol. 12 (1).
- (2018) The effect of including bone in DIXON-based attenuation correction for 18F-fluciclovine PET/MRI of prostate cancer. Journal of Nuclear Medicine. vol. 59 (12).
- (2018) Simultaneous 18F-fluciclovine Positron Emission Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging of Prostate Cancer. Frontiers in Oncology. vol. 8.
- (2018) NMR-Based Prostate Cancer Metabolomics. Methods in molecular biology. vol. 1786.
- (2018) NMR-based metabolomics of biofluids in cancer. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 32 (10).
- (2018) Metabolite and lipoprotein responses and prediction of weight gain during breast cancer treatment. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 119 (9).