Tone Frost Bathen
Background and activities
As head of the The MR Cancer Group, my main research interests are focused towards personalised medicine and studies of functional and metabolic properties of cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS). By developing, optimising and applying advanced MR (in combination with other molecular methods) to characterize cancer, our goal is to establish better diagnostic tools for stratification of patients to treatment and treatment monitoring. Current research activities mainly focus on breast and prostate cancer, enabled by a close collaboration with clinicians at the St. Olavs University Hospital in Trondheim. Although clinical research has high priority, a broad spectrum of systems for cancer studies provides translational research, covering ex vivo as well as in vivo MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer cells and laboratory animals. We also maintain several large biobanks of human tissue and biofluid samples. The research group is also involved in biomedical research related to cardiac heart disease, preeclampsia and testing of new contrast agents.
Publications registered in Pubmed:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Simultaneous detection of zinc and its pathway metabolites using MALDI MS imaging of prostate tissue. Analytical Chemistry. vol. 92 (4).
- (2020) Concentration and distribution of naphthenic acids in the produced water from offshore Norwegian North Sea oilfields. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 54 (5).
- (2020) Automated reference tissue normalization of T2-weighted MR images of the prostate using object recognition. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine.
- (2020) A Quality Control System for Automated Prostate Segmentation on T2-Weighted MRI. Diagnostics (Basel). vol. 10 (9).
- (2019) Simultaneous detection of the cancer biomarkers zinc and citrate in prostate cancer tissue using mass spectrometry imaging. European urology. Supplement. vol. 18 (8).
- (2019) Semi-automatic segmentation from intrinsically-registered 18F-FDG-PET/MRI for treatment response assessment in a breast cancer cohort: comparison to manual DCE-MRI. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. vol. 33.
- (2019) Metabolomics identifies placental dysfunction and confirms Flt-1 biomarker specificity. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 17.
- (2019) Metabolomics identifies placental dysfunction and confirms Flt-1 (FMS-like tyrosine kinase receptor 1) biomarker specificity. Hypertension. vol. 74 (5).
- (2019) Relative enhanced diffusivity in prostate cancer: Protocol optimization and diagnostic potential. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2019) Feasibility of contrast-enhanced MRI derived textural features to predict overall survival in locally advanced breast cancer. Acta Radiologica.
- (2019) Assessing treatment response and prognosis by serum and tissue metabolomics in breast cancer patients. Journal of Proteome Research. vol. 18 (10).
- (2019) Stromal collagen content in breast tumors correlates with in vivo diffusion-weighted imaging: A comparison of multi b-value DWI with histologic specimen from benign and malignant breast lesions. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2019) Prostate-specific membrane antigen PET/magnetic resonance imaging for the planning of salvage radiotherapy in patients with prostate cancer with biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy. PET Clinics. vol. 14 (4).
- (2019) The effect of sampling procedures and day-to-day variations in metabolomics studies of biofluids. Analytica Chimica Acta. vol. 1081.
- (2019) Biomarker discovery using NMR based metabolomics of tissue. Methods in molecular biology. vol. 2037.
- (2019) Breast cancer quantitative proteome and proteogenomic landscape. Nature Communications. vol. 10:1600.
- (2019) Associations of physical activity and sedentary time with lipoprotein subclasses in Norwegian schoolchildren: The Active Smarter Kids (ASK) study. Atherosclerosis. vol. 288.
- (2019) R2* Relaxation Affects Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI in Cancer and Underestimates Treatment Response at 7 T. Tomography. vol. 5 (3).
- (2019) Detectable biomarkers in urine for prostate cancer prognosis. European urology. Supplement. vol. 18 (8).
- (2019) Metabolic consequences of perioperative oral carbohydrates in breast cancer patients - an explorative study. BMC Cancer. vol. 19:1183.