Nils Torbjörn Ekman
Background and activities
Nils Torbjørn Ekman (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications. He is performing research, supervision and teaching within the fields of radio communications, communication theory and signal processing. Leading the CAMOS (Coastal and Arctic Maritime Operations and Surveillance) sensor networks project at IME/NTNU. Member of the leader group for NTNU Ocean Science and Technology, one of four strategic NTNU initiatives. Professor Ekman has a MSc in Engineering Physics, as well as a Licentiate of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy degree both in Signal Processing from the University of Uppsala.
He has supervised 4 PhD students, and is an external supervisor and co-supervisor for PhD students at UniK and NTNU. In addition Ekman supervises about 2 MSc students a year.
Fields of expertise
- Statistical channel modeling for the dynamics of wireless radio channels
- Radio resource management (RRM)
- Prediction of radio channels for applications in adaptive modulation and RRM
- Sensor networks
- Exploiting subspace descriptions of MIMO channels
- High resolution spectral estimation techniques
- 2014- Professor at IET/NTNU
- 2011-2012 Guest researcher at NYU Poly, New York, USA
- 2005-2014 Associate Professor at IET/NTNU
- 2002-2005 Postdoc at Unik, Kjeller Norway
- 1999-2002 Located at the DSB group at University of Oslo (UiO)
- 1997-1998 Marie Curie scholarship at Institut für Nachrichtentechnik und Hochfrequenztechnik, Technisce Universität Wien, Austria
- 1995-2002 PhD student, Signals and Systems Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Research project experience
- CAMOS, NTNU/IME project 2013
Communications and Sensor Networks for Coastal and Arctic Maritime Operations and Surveillance
- WILATI+, Nordite project, 2006
Primary investigator and manager of the Norwegian part
Cooperation with TKK, Finland, LTH, Sweden.
Wireless interference-limited high-throughput access technologies and applications
- SENDORA, EU FP7 STREP project, 2008
Primary investigator and manager for the Norwegian part
Project on sensor network aided cognitive radio
WP leader for Cognitive Actuation.
- MoPSAR, NFR funded project, 2004
Modeling and Prediction of mm Wavelength Channels, Scheduling and Adaptive Data Rate for Wireless Access Systems
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Effective Channel Hardening in an Indoor Multiband Scenario. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks.
- (2016) Performance Analysis of Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks over Arbitrary Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 15 (11).
- (2015) Tracking with a high-resolution 2-D spectral estimation based automotive radar. IEEE transactions on intelligent transportation systems (Print). vol. 16 (5).
- (2015) An fir predictor interpretation of LS estimation of sinusoidal amplitudes followed by extrapolation. European Signal Processing Conference. vol. 06-10-September-2004.
- (2015) HMM-Based Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks with Noncoherent Multiple Access. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (5).
- (2015) Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Underwater Sensor Networks. IEEE Sensors Journal. vol. 15 (3).
- (2015) On Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks over NLOS Fading. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (2).
- (2014) Design of a practical and compact mm-wave MIMO system with optimized capacity and phased arrays. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation. vol. 2014.
- (2013) Practical Multiuser MIMO Beamforming using the Strongest Eigenmodes. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.
- (2013) Parametrization Based Limited Feedback Design for Correlated MIMO Channels Using New Statistical Models. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (10).
- (2013) Partial Equivalent Channel Inversion Based Precoding with Mode Adaptation in Multiuser MIMO Systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (7).
- (2013) A Deterministic Round Earth Loss Model for Open-Sea Radio Propagation. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.
- (2012) On MMSE estimation: A Linear Model under Gaussian Mixture Statistics. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 60 (7).
- (2012) Rayleigh Scattering Cluster Based Spatial-Temporal-Spectral Correlation Properties with MIMO-OFDM Channel Model. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC).
- (2012) Increasing sum-rate in large-scale cognitive radio networks by centralized power and spectrum allocation. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2012 (362).
- (2012) Analysis of Aggregate Interference and Primary System Performance in Finite Area Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications. vol. 60 (7).
- (2011) Gaussian Angular Distributed MIMO Channel Model. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.
- (2011) Efficient State Estimation with Energy Harvesting and Fairness Control Using Stochastic Optimization. GLOBECOM - conference record / IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference.
- (2010) Combined Dynamic Channel Simulator for High Capacity Broadband Fixed Wireless Access Systems. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. vol. 58 (10).
- (2010) Cauchy Angular Distribution for Clustered Radio Propagation SIMO Channel Model. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.