Background and activities
Background. Welo holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within plastic bending behavior of aluminum alloy structures from NTH, Department of Structural Engineering. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Hydro Automotive Structures in both US and EU, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2007 he has been full time professor within Design and Manufacturing at IPM. Over the past two decades, Welo has experience from different roles in boards, committees, task groups and associations, mainly in metal forming, automotive and aluminum industries.
Research Fields. Metal forming in general - bending of aluminum profiles and related technology development in particular - are the most central research areas. His research fields also includes product development; particularly Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create a recipe to produce an attractive product with maximum customer value (i.e. benefit-to-cost ratio). The (inter)relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Entrepreneurship – Innovation. Welo has been central in developing models and tools for designing metal forming dies (dimensional stability), as well as new forming technologies (methods) (3D bending/forming, stretch forming, mechanical calibration, adaptive bending, etc.). He has also been heading and coaching product development teams developing light weight solutions in the automotive industry, including aluminum space frames, subframes, cockpit frames, engine cradles, seat frames, seat tracks, bump and front end structures, crush cans, etc. for a number of European and US car models and platforms.
Publications. Most open publications are within metal forming problems related to aluminum, including extrusion, hot and cold forming, calibration and bending. Many of these are available in data bases such as Frida, ScienceDirect, etc.
Teaching – Courses.
TMM4500 -TMM4 In-depth course, Analysis of Metal Forming Processes (fall
TMM4505 In-depth course (fall)
TMM4112 Design of Machine Elements (spring)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) A Holistic approach to corporate sustainability assessment: Incorporating sustainable development goals into sustainable manufacturing performance evaluation. Journal of manufacturing systems. vol. 50.
- (2018) Hybrid Metal Extrusion & Bonding (HYB) - a new technology for solid-state additive manufacturing of aluminium components. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 26.
- (2018) Fatigue Strength Assessment of Steel Rollers: On the Reliability of the Strain Energy Density Approach on Real Components. Applied Sciences. vol. 8 (7).
- (2018) Testing and Verification of a New Corporate Sustainability Assessment Method for Manufacturing: A Multiple Case Research Study. Sustainability. vol. 10 (11).
- (2018) Dimensional accuracy of aluminium extrusions in mechanical calibration. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1960 (1).
- (2018) The product development learning process and its relation to performance indicators. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 26.
- (2018) Exploring the hybrid metal extrusion and bonding process for butt welding of Al–Mg–Si alloys. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 98 (5-8).
- (2018) Improving Friction Drilling and Joining through Controlled Material Flow. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 26.
- (2018) Dimensional accuracy of threads manufactured by fused deposition modeling. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 26.
- (2018) The effects of voids on structural properties of fused deposition modelled parts: a probabilistic approach. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 97 (9-12).
- (2018) Investigating Organizational Knowledge Transformation Capabilities in Integrated Manufacturing and Product Development Companies. Procedia CIRP. vol. 70.
- (2017) 40CrMoV13.9 notched specimens under multiaxial fatigue: An overview of recent results. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. vol. 11 (41).
- (2017) Multiaxial fatigue strength of titanium alloys. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. vol. 11 (41).
- (2017) Fatigue assessment of steel rollers by means of the local energy. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. vol. 11 (41).
- (2017) Comparison of distortions of complex aluminium sections formed in single-step and incremental roll bending. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1896.
- (2017) Surface Friction of Rapidly Prototyped Wheels from 3D-Printed Thermoplastic Elastomers: An Experimental Study. Procedia CIRP. vol. 60.
- (2017) Analytical Modeling of Residual Stress in Additive Manufacturing. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures. vol. 40 (6).
- (2017) A physics-based approach to relate grinding process parameters to tribological behavior of ground surfaces. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 91 (9-12).
- (2017) The concept of sustainable manufacturing and its definitions: A content-analysis based literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 166.
- (2017) Design of a Modular Extrusion-based Aluminum Monorail System for Highly Accurate Car Positioning. Procedia CIRP. vol. 60.