Background and activities
Background. Welo holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within plastic bending behavior of aluminum alloy structures from NTH, Department of Structural Engineering. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Hydro Automotive Structures in both US and EU, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2007 he has been full time professor within Design and Manufacturing at IPM. Over the past two decades, Welo has experience from different roles in boards, committees, task groups and associations, mainly in metal forming, automotive and aluminum industries.
Research Fields. Metal forming in general - bending of aluminum profiles and related technology development in particular - are the most central research areas. His research fields also includes product development; particularly Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create a recipe to produce an attractive product with maximum customer value (i.e. benefit-to-cost ratio). The (inter)relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Entrepreneurship – Innovation. Welo has been central in developing models and tools for designing metal forming dies (dimensional stability), as well as new forming technologies (methods) (3D bending/forming, stretch forming, mechanical calibration, adaptive bending, etc.). He has also been heading and coaching product development teams developing light weight solutions in the automotive industry, including aluminum space frames, subframes, cockpit frames, engine cradles, seat frames, seat tracks, bump and front end structures, crush cans, etc. for a number of European and US car models and platforms.
Publications. Most open publications are within metal forming problems related to aluminum, including extrusion, hot and cold forming, calibration and bending. Many of these are available in data bases such as Frida, ScienceDirect, etc.
Teaching – Courses.
TMM4500 -TMM4 In-depth course, Analysis of Metal Forming Processes (fall
TMM4505 In-depth course (fall)
TMM4112 Design of Machine Elements (spring)
- TMM4112 - Machine Elements
- TMM4935 - Industrial ICT, Master's Thesis
- TMM4280 - Advanced Product Development
- MM8200 - Aluminium Technology: Extrusion and Forming
- TMM4285 - Lifecycle Performance of Aluminum Products
- TMM4960 - Engineering Design and Materials, Master's Thesis
- TMM4560 - Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
- TMM4540 - Industrial ICT Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) In-Process Monitoring of Springback in Industrial Bending Using a Laser Sensor-Based Method. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 926.
- (2022) On Dimensional Control in Rotary Stretch Bending of Aluminum Profiles: Loading-Path Effects. Manufacturing Letters. vol. 33.
- (2022) Rapid Manufacturing of Die-casting Tools - a Case Study. Procedia CIRP. vol. 107.
- (2022) The role of risk mitigation actions in engineering projects: An empirical investigation. Systems Engineering.
- (2022) Using Lean to Transform the Product Development Process in a Marine Company: A Case Study. Procedia CIRP. vol. 109.
- (2022) Influence of deformation prior to ageing on fatigue behavior of extruded AA6082-T6 profiles. International Journal of Fatigue. vol. 162.
- (2022) Numerical Analyses of Deformation Mechanisms in a Novel Dimensional Calibration Technique for Thin-Walled, Open Extrusions. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 926.
- (2021) Protobooth: Gathering and analyzing data on prototyping in early-stage engineering design projects by digitally capturing physical prototypes. Artificial intelligence for engineering design, analysis and manufacturing. vol. 35 (1).
- (2021) A strategy for on-machine springback measurement in rotary draw bending using digital image-based laser tracking. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 119.
- (2021) Bridging the ‘Valley of Death’: Can Agile Principles Be Applied in Industry-Academia Research and Innovation Projects?. Journal of the Knowledge Economy.
- (2021) Analytical springback assessment in flexible stretch bending of complex shapes. International journal of machine tools & manufacture. vol. 160.
- (2021) Effect of Stretching on Springback in Rotary Stretch Bending of Aluminium Alloy Profiles. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 883.
- (2021) The impact of thermo-mechanical processing routes on product quality in integrated aluminium tube bending process. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. vol. 67.
- (2021) On the fatigue properties of a third generation aluminium-steel butt weld made by hybrid metal extrusion & bonding (HYB). International Journal of Fatigue. vol. 155.
- (2021) Planning unplanned design iterations using risk management and learning strategies. Journal of engineering design. vol. 33 (2).
- (2021) Wrong, but not failed? A study of unexpected events and project performance in 21 engineering projects. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 14 (6).
- (2021) Deformation characteristics in a stretch-based dimensional correction method for open, thin-walled extrusions. Metals. vol. 11 (11).
- (2020) Influence of innovation, complexity and newness on success in new product development projects: a survey in Norwegian manufacturing industry. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference. vol. 1.
- (2020) Concept evaluation in new product development: A set-based method utilizing rapid prototyping and physical modelling. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology. vol. 18 (5).
- (2020) On the mechanical integrity of AA6082 3D structures deposited by hybrid metal extrusion & bonding additive manufacturing. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 282.