Background and activities
Background. Welo holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within plastic bending behavior of aluminum alloy structures from NTH, Department of Structural Engineering. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Hydro Automotive Structures in both US and EU, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2007 he has been full time professor within Design and Manufacturing at IPM. Over the past two decades, Welo has experience from different roles in boards, committees, task groups and associations, mainly in metal forming, automotive and aluminum industries.
Research Fields. Metal forming in general - bending of aluminum profiles and related technology development in particular - are the most central research areas. His research fields also includes product development; particularly Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create a recipe to produce an attractive product with maximum customer value (i.e. benefit-to-cost ratio). The (inter)relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Entrepreneurship – Innovation. Welo has been central in developing models and tools for designing metal forming dies (dimensional stability), as well as new forming technologies (methods) (3D bending/forming, stretch forming, mechanical calibration, adaptive bending, etc.). He has also been heading and coaching product development teams developing light weight solutions in the automotive industry, including aluminum space frames, subframes, cockpit frames, engine cradles, seat frames, seat tracks, bump and front end structures, crush cans, etc. for a number of European and US car models and platforms.
Publications. Most open publications are within metal forming problems related to aluminum, including extrusion, hot and cold forming, calibration and bending. Many of these are available in data bases such as Frida, ScienceDirect, etc.
Teaching – Courses.
TMM4500 -TMM4 In-depth course, Analysis of Metal Forming Processes (fall
TMM4505 In-depth course (fall)
TMM4112 Design of Machine Elements (spring)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Additively manufactured CrMnFeCoNi/AlCoCrFeNiTi0.5 laminated high-entropy alloy with enhanced strength-plasticity synergy. Scripta Materialia. vol. 183.
- (2020) In-line Springback Measurement for Tube Bending Using a Laser System. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 47.
- (2020) Exploring the Influence of Pre/Post-Aging on Springback in Al-Mg-Si Alloy Tube Bending. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 47.
- (2020) Managing exploratory projects: A repertoire of approaches and their shared underpinnings. International Journal of Project Management. vol. 38 (2).
- (2020) Conceptualizing resilience in engineering systems: An analysis of the literature. Systems Engineering. vol. 23 (1).
- (2019) An experimental study on interference friction welding process. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 41.
- (2019) Newness and Outcomes in Commodity-Driven New-Product Development Projects: A Survey in the Norwegian Manufacturing Industry. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84 (29).
- (2019) First demonstration of a new additive manufacturing process based on metal extrusion and solid-state bonding. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 105 (5-6).
- (2019) Investigating the mechanics of hybrid metal extrusion and bonding additive manufacturing by FEA. Metals. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) Rapid prototyping and physical modelling in the development of a new additive manufacturing process for aluminium alloys. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 34.
- (2019) Efforts on Capturing Prototyping and Design Activity in Engineering Design Research. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Formation of fully equiaxed grain microstructure in additively manufactured AlCoCrFeNiTi0.5 high entropy alloy. Materials & design. vol. 184.
- (2019) Additive manufacturing of fine-grained and dislocation-populated CrMnFeCoNi high entropy alloy by laser engineered net shaping. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 761.
- (2019) Exploring framework for university-industry innovation projects: Building collaborative knowledge platform. Proceedings of the ... European conference on knowledge management. vol. 1.
- (2019) University-Industry Collaboration Projects: A Case of Norway. Proceedings of the International Conference on Intellectual Capital, Knowledge Management and Organisational Learning, ICICKM.
- (2019) A Holistic approach to corporate sustainability assessment: Incorporating sustainable development goals into sustainable manufacturing performance evaluation. Journal of manufacturing systems. vol. 50.
- (2019) Assessment of the Mechanical Integrity of a 2 mm AA6060-T6 Butt Weld Produced Using the Hybrid Metal Extrusion & Bonding (HYB) Process – Part I: Bend Test Results. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 34.
- (2019) Assessment of the Mechanical Integrity of a 2 mm AA6060-T6 Butt Weld Produced Using the Hybrid Metal Extrusion & Bonding (HYB) Process – Part II: Tensile Test Results. Procedia Structural Integrity. vol. 17.
- (2019) Using set-based design for developing a 3D metal forming process. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) The cost of learning from failures and mistakes in product design: Reviewing the literature. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 1 (1).