Background and activities
In the 21st century citizenship has become increasingly important in shaping people’s lives and politics. In many countries formal civil, political and social rights are being challenged and subject to acts of citizenship and accompanying political tensions. Globalization challenge nation-states as the legal framework for citizenship and forms of dual or transnational citizenship increase. Environmental issues, global inequality and regional conflicts require states and citizens to think beyond the nation state in search for political solutions. Migration continues to diversify societies, which continuously shape and reshape citizenship. Increased pluralism is not least apparent in schools where diversified classes shape and reshape students’ social and learning environment. This in turn requires changes in teachers’ practises. The very dynamic field of citizenship highly motivates my work in the SG “Citizenship” and my two strands of current research: First, research on citizens’ practices and their citizenship learning in school, and second, research on teacher education for fostering inclusive citizenship.
Solhaug is a political scientist and professor emeritus in, teaching social science and pedagogy.
Research focus on; democracy, citizenship in education. as well as teacher education. Recent research is framed by "inclusive citizenship" and focus on participation, political awareness and intercultural competence as well as integration in teacher education.
Solhaug taught democracy and citizenship in education, identity, and quantitative methodology at master and phd level. He represents Norway in the Nordic phd course Demoncracy and citizenship in education.
Solhaug is a former teacher in lower and upper secondary school as well as in special education. His disertation is titled: "Education for democratic citizenship"..
Solhaug started the Standing group "Citizenship" in European Consortium of Political Research (ECPR) in 2013 and chaired the group until 2019. He also created the research group 'Democracy and Citizenshipin Education (DACED) at Institute for Teacher Education (ILU) NTNU.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Teacher Education Programmes and Their Contribution to Student Teachers Efficacy in Classroom Management and Pupil Engagement. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research. vol. 60 (2).
- (2015) Antecedents of Norwegian student teachers' campus time on task. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research (ILJTER). vol. 10 (3).
- (2015) Explaining motivational antecedents of citizenship behavior among preservice teachers. Education Sciences. vol. 5.
- (2015) Gender Variations in Norwegian Pre-service teachers' Motivational Orientations. Problems of Education in the 21st Century. vol. 63.
- (2014) Marianne Takle, Politisk integrering. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift.
- (2013) Casting a Vote - Complexities and Strategies among “First-Time Voters” in their Approach to Elections. Nordidactica.
- (2013) Trends and Dilemmas in Citizenship Education. Nordidactica.
- (2013) Political Learning among Youth: exploring patterns of students’ first political awakening. Citizenship, Social and Economics Education (CSEE). vol. 12 (3).
- (2012) Internasjonale trender i samfunnsfagdidaktikk og en norsk forskningsagenda. Norsk pedagogisk tidsskrift. vol. 96 (3).
- (2012) Political alienation among migrant youths: Exploring the mechanisms of political alienation and acculturation among migrant youths in Norwegian schools. Education, Citizenship and Social Justice. vol. 7 (1).
- (2012) Political Rationality: Young Danish and Norwegian Immigrant Citizens and their Political Reasoning. Politics, Culture and Socialization. vol. 2 (3).
- (2011) Uncovering the political in non-political young muslim immigrant identities. Utbildning och Demokrati. vol. 20 (2).
- (2011) New Public Management in Educational Reform in Norway. Policy Futures in Education. vol. 9 (2).
- (2009) Two configurations for accessing classroom computers: differential impact on students' critical reflections and their empowerment. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning. vol. 25 (5).
- (2008) Kritisk blikk på skolens opplæring til demokrati. Norsk pedagogisk tidsskrift. vol. 92 (4).
- (2008) Tilpasset opplæring og likeverdige utdanningsmuligheter i en ny åpen ungdomsskole – en case studie. Norsk pedagogisk tidsskrift.
- (2008) Tilpasset opplæring og likeverdige utdanningsmuligheter i en ny åpen ungdomsskole - en case studie. Norsk pedagogisk tidsskrift. vol. 92 (2).
- (2007) Steinerskoler i et demokratisk perspektiv. En sammenlikning med offentlige skoler i Norge. Nordisk Pedagogik. vol. 27 (2).
- (2006) Knowledge and Self-efficacy as Predictors of Political Participation and Civic Attitudes: with relevance for educational practice. Policy Futures in Education. vol. 4 (3).
- (2005) A two-facet measurement methodology for assessing item parcels. An application to measuring political knowledge in secondary school. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research.
- (2012) Skolen i demokratiet - demokratiet i skolen. Universitetsforlaget. 2012. ISBN 978-82-15-02050-1.
- (2012) Skolen, nasjonen og medborgaren. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2012. ISBN 978-82-519-2916-5.
Part of book/report
- (2012) Nasjon, medborgerskap og skolen. Skolen, nasjonen og medborgaren.
- (2010) Steinerskolen i et demokratisk perspektiv. Liv Laga Erfaringer fra Steinerskolen.
- (2008) Realistic Participation in Democratic School-institutions of Pseudo-democracy in Norway? Critiquing Two Secondary School Models. Political Culture, Socialization, Democracy, and Education.
- (2006) Bildungsreform für soziale Gleichheit oder fortgesetzte Ungleichheit? Eine Analyse der norwegischen Schulreform in demokratischer perspektive. Bildungspolitik und Bildungsforschung: Herausforderungen und Perspektiven fur Gesellschaft und Gewerkschaften in Deutschland.
- (2006) Strategisk læring i samfunnsfag. Læringsstrategier. Søkelys på lærernes praksis.
- (2005) Elevmedvirkning og danning. Fagenes begrunnelser. Skolens fag og arbeidsmåter i danningsperspektiv.
- (2010) Som en sang i sinnet - som et eneste sollyst minne. Elevers utbytte av folkehøgskolen. 2010. ISBN 978-82-7570-219-5.
- (2008) Helsefremmende arbeidsplasser i Gjøvik regionen 2004-2007 Sluttrapport fra følgeforskningen: ØF-rapport nr. 06/2008. 2008. ISBN 978-82-7356-627-0.
- (2008) IKT og Læring i videregående skole i Nord-Trøndelag. 2008.
- (2007) Tilpasset opplæring i nye læringsomgivelser. Evalueringsrapport 2007. 2007. Acta Didactica (2007).
- (2003) Utdanning til demokratisk medborgerskap. Unipub forlag. 2003.