Background and activities
In the 21st century citizenship has become increasingly important in shaping people’s lives and politics. In many countries formal civil, political and social rights are being challenged and subject to acts of citizenship and accompanying political tensions. Globalization challenge nation-states as the legal framework for citizenship and forms of dual or transnational citizenship increase. Environmental issues, global inequality and regional conflicts require states and citizens to think beyond the nation state in search for political solutions. Migration continues to diversify societies, which continuously shape and reshape citizenship. Increased pluralism is not least apparent in schools where diversified classes shape and reshape students’ social and learning environment. This in turn requires changes in teachers’ practises. The very dynamic field of citizenship highly motivates my work in the SG “Citizenship” and my two strands of current research: First, research on citizens’ practices and their citizenship learning in school, and second, research on teacher education for fostering inclusive citizenship.
Solhaug is a political scientist and professor in, teaching social science and pedagogy.
Research focus on; democracy, citizenship in education. as well as techer education. Recent research is framed by "inclusive citizenship" and focus on participation, political identity and intercultural competence.as well as integration in teacher education.
Solhaug teaches democracy and citizenship in education, identity, and quantitative methodology. He represents Norway in the Nordic phd course Demoncracy and citizenship in education.
Solhaug is a former teacher in lower and upper secondary school as well as in special education. His disertation is titled: "Education for democratic citizenship"..
Solhaug is current Co-convenor in the Standing group "Citizenship" in European Consortium of Political Research ECPR.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Finnish Teacher Education and Its Contributions to Preservice Teachers’ Instructional Self-Efficacy. Issues in educational research. vol. 28 (2).
- (2018) Students' human rights and diversity in schools: framing and measuring. Research in Comparative and International Education. vol. 13 (2).
- (2018) Democratic schools – Analytical Perspectives. Journal of Social Science Education. vol. 17 (1).
- (2018) Intercultural empathy among Norwegian students: an inclusive citizenship perspective. International Journal of Inclusive Education. vol. 22 (1).
- (2017) Duration of On-Campus Academic Engagements of Student Teachers in Finland and Norway. Education Inquiry. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Party choice and family influence in the age of late modernity. Nordidactica.
- (2017) Students as first-time voters: The role of voter advice applications in self-reflection on party choice and political identity. Journal of Social Science Education. vol. 16 (1).
- (2016) Antecedents of student teachers’ affective commitment to the teaching profession and turnover intention. European Journal of Teacher Education. vol. 39 (3).
- (2016) Teacher Education Programmes and Their Contribution to Student Teachers Efficacy in Classroom Management and Pupil Engagement. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research. vol. 60 (2).
- (2016) Assessing the Outcome of Teacher Education Programs in Norway: An Analysis and Discussion of the Factor Structure in Domains of Teacher Practicum for Student Teachers at Three Norwegian Universities. Creative Education. vol. 7 (10).
- (2015) Antecedents of Norwegian student teachers' campus time on task. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research. vol. 10 (3).
- (2015) Explaining motivational antecedents of citizenship behavior among preservice teachers. Education Sciences. vol. 5.
- (2015) Gender Variations in Norwegian Pre-service teachers' Motivational Orientations. Problems of Education in the 21st Century. vol. 63.
- (2013) Casting a Vote - Complexities and Strategies among “First-Time Voters” in their Approach to Elections. Nordidactica.
- (2013) Trends and Dilemmas in Citizenship Education. Nordidactica.
- (2013) Political Learning among Youth: exploring patterns of students’ first political awakening. Citizenship, social and economics education. vol. 12 (3).
- (2012) Internasjonale trender i samfunnsfagdidaktikk og en norsk forskningsagenda. Norsk pedagogisk tidsskrift. vol. 96 (3).
- (2012) Political alienation among migrant youths: Exploring the mechanisms of political alienation and acculturation among migrant youths in Norwegian schools. Education, Citizenship and Social Justice. vol. 7 (1).
- (2012) Political Rationality: Young Danish and Norwegian Immigrant Citizens and their Political Reasoning. Politics, Culture and Socialization. vol. 2 (3).
- (2011) Uncovering the political in non-political young muslim immigrant identities. Utbildning och Demokrati. vol. 20 (2).