Background and activities
Associate Professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science, Data and Artificial Intelligence Group.
My main research is on methods and techniques to make content available, searchable and accessible in the context of user needs. Current research is on metadata and ontologies, covering semantic descriptions of contents, search services and search strategies, and crowdsourcing and collaborative creation. Additionally, I have a focus on learning technologies and innovative learning activities environments.
I have been teaching various courses at the bachelor and master level specialization. Many students know me from the introductory course in C++, but currently I am responsible for a course in Web Development (IT2810) and a continuing education course in programming for teachers (IT6201).
In the period 2013-2016 I have been deputy head of the Department of Computer and Information Science with responsibility for teaching and education and I have been head of Computer and Information Science study program board and leader of the study programs in Informatics, Computer Science and Information Systems in the period 2009-2017.
Currently, I am participating in the nationally funded Excited SFU as leader for the project "Projects of becoming" and leader for NTNU Beta project on early adoptation of innovative learning technologies.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Benchmarking and evaluating the interpretation of bibliographic records. International Journal on Digital Libraries.
- (2018) Exploring a Student-centered Approach to Innovating Computer Science Education. SIGCSE Technical Symposium 2018 . Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education; Baltimore. 2018-02-20 - 2018-02-24.
- (2018) Project-Based Learning in IT Education: Definitions and Qualities. UNIPED. vol. 41 (2).
- (2017) The path towards bibliographic ontologies and linked data (invited keynote). 11th Metadata and Semantics Research Conference ; Tallin. 2017-11-28 - 2017-12-01.
- (2017) Interactive displays for the next generation of entity-centric bibliographic models. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10647.
- (2017) Identifying Dropout Factors in Information Technology Education: A Case Study. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON.
- (2017) Presenting bibliographic families using information visualization: Evaluation of FRBR-based prototype and hierarchical visualizations. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. vol. 68 (2).
- (2016) Modellering av verk, verk og uttrykk i et brukerperspektiv. Veien til et verksregister . Nasjonalbiblioteket; Oslo. 2016-10-14 - 2016-10-14.
- (2016) BIBSURF - Discover bibliographic entities by searching for units of interest, ranking and filtering. Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. vol. 2016-September.
- (2016) BIB-R: A benchmark for the interpretation of bibliographic records. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9819.
- (2016) Finding user need patterns in the world of complex semantic cultural heritage data. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 672.
- (2016) Video-based learning ecosystem to support active learning: application to an introductory computer science course. Smart Learning Environments. vol. 3.
- (2016) Presenting bibliographic families: Designing an FRBR-based prototype using information visualization. Journal of Documentation. vol. 72 (3).
- (2016) Gender Differences in Computer Science Education: Lessons Learnt from an Empirical Study at NTNU. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) A pattern-based framework for best practice implementation of CRM/FRBROO. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 539.
- (2015) A novel vision for navigation and enrichment in cultural heritage collections. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 539.
- (2015) Toward a learning ecosystem to support flipped classroom: A conceptual framework and early results. Lecture Notes in Educational Technology.
- (2015) Using Gamification to Motivate Smoking Cessation. Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Games-Based Learning.
- (2015) Using Gamification to Motivate Smoking Cessation. The 9th European Conference on Games Based learning . Nord-Trønelag University College; Steinkjer. 2015-09-08 - 2015-09-09.
- (2015) Dynamic Pervasive Storytelling in Long Lasting Learning Games. Electronic Journal of e-Learning. vol. 13 (3).
- (2015) Project Thinking as a Strategy for University Education. MNT-konferansen 2015 . Universitets- og høgskolerådet (UHR); Bergen. 2015-03-18 - 2015-03-19.
- (2014) Introduction to the focused issue on the 17th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL 2013). International Journal on Digital Libraries. vol. 14 (3-4).
- (2014) Increasing Player Participation in Pervasive Educational Games. Proceedings of the ... European conference on games-based learning. vol. 2.
- (2014) Nuclear Mayhem Learning and Dynamic Pervasive Storytelling. Proceedings of the ... European conference on games-based learning. vol. 2.
- (2014) KIEV: a Tool for Extracting Semantic Relations from the World Wide Web. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), Athens, Greece, March 24–28, 2014.
- (2013) Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries, TPDL 2013, Valetta, Malta, September 2013, Proceedings. Springer. 2013. ISBN 978-3-642-40500-6. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (8092).
- (2013) The value of MARC data, or, Challenges of frbrisation. Journal of Documentation. vol. 69 (6).
- (2013) HiNTHunt - A Pervasive Game to Support and Encourage Desired Activites for New Students. 4th International Conference on Serious Games Development and Applications (SGDA 2013) . SGDA; Trondheim. 2013-09-25 - 2013-09-27.
- (2013) HiNTHunt - A Pervasive Game to Support and Encourage Desired Activites for New Students. Serious Games Development and Applications 4th International Conference, SGDA 2013, Trondheim, Norway, September 25-27, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2013) An Integrated Approach for Large-Scale Relation Extraction from the Web. APWeb 2013 . UNSW; Sydney. 2013-04-04 - 2013-04-06.
- (2013) An Integrated Approach for Large-Scale Relation Extraction from the Web. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7808.
- (2012) Norsk informatikkonferanse NIK 2012; Universitetet i Nordland 19 – 21 november 2012. Akademika forlag. 2012. ISBN 978-82-321-0013-2. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse (2012).
- (2012) FrbrVis: An Information Visualization Approach to Presenting FRBR Work Families. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2012) Presenting and Exploring the Complexity of Bibliographic Relationships. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7634.
- (2012) FRBR-ML: A FRBR-based Framework for Semantic Interoperability. Semantic Web. vol. 3 (1).
- (2012) An Evidence-Based Verification Approach to Extract Entities and Relations for Knowledge Base Population. ISWC 2012 . MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology); Boston, MA. 2012-11-12 - 2012-11-16.
- (2012) An Evidence-Based Verification Approach to Extract Entities and Relations for Knowledge Base Population. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7649.
- (2012) OAI-ORE as a Possible Solution for an FRBR Data Model. Advances in Digital Library Development.
- (2011) Coding FRBR-structured bibliographic information in MARC. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7008.
- (2011) UNIMARC and FRBR - can we have both?. World Library and Information Congress : 77th IFLA General Conference and Assembly . IFLA; San Juan. 2011-08-13 - 2011-08-18.
- (2011) Norsk Informatikkonferanse NIK 2011. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2011. ISBN 978-82-519-2843-4. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2011).
- (2011) FRBRPedia: a tool for FRBRizing web products and linking FRBR entities to DBpedia. JCDL 2011 . University of Ottawa; Ottawa, ON. 2011-06-13 - 2011-06-17.
- (2011) FRBRPedia: a tool for FRBRizing web products and linking FRBR entities to DBpedia. JCDL '11: Proceedings of the 11th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries, Bringing Together Scholars, Scholarship and Research Data.
- (2011) Empirical Study on Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 253 (5).
- (2011) An XML-based Representational Document Format for FRBR. WISE 2010 International Symposium WISS.
- (2011) Linking FRBR Entities to LOD through Semantic Matching. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6966.
- (2011) Linking FRBR Entities to LOD through Semantic Matching. TPDL 2011 . Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin; Berlin. 2011-09-25 - 2011-09-29.
- (2011) Supporting FRBRization of Web Product Descriptions. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6966.
- (2011) Supporting FRBRization of Web Product Descriptions. TPDL 2011 . Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin; Berlin. 2011-09-25 - 2011-09-29.
- (2010) FRBR, object-oriented definition and mapping to FRBRer. 2010.
- (2010) Frbrisation: Towards a Bright New Future for National Bibliographies. International Cataloguing and Bibliographic Control. vol. 39 (1).
- (2010) Identifiers: bridging language barriers. World Library and Information Congress: 76th IFLA General Conference and Assembly . IFLA; Gothenburg. 2010-08-10 - 2010-08-15.
- (2010) An XML-based representational document format for FRBR. International Symposium on Web Intelligent Systems and Services . Hong Kong Polytechnic University; Hong Kong. 2010-12-10 - 2010-12-16.
- (2009) Norsk Informatikk Konferanse 2009. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-519-2491-7.
- (2009) Frbrisation: towards a bright future for National Bibliographies. World Library and Information Congress: 75th IFLA General Conference and Assembly - "Libraries create futures: Building on cultural heritage" . International Federation of Library Associations and Institu; Milano. 2009-08-23 - 2009-08-27.
- (2009) Norsk informatikkonferanse : NIK 2009 : Institutt for datateknikk og informasjonsvitenskap, NTNU, 23.-25. november 2009. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-519-2491-7.
- (2009) Automatically Generating High Quality Metadata by Analyzing the Document Code of Common File Types. JCDL '09: Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries , Designing tomorrow - preserving the past - today.
- (2009) Using Automatic Metadata Generation to reduce the knowledge and time requirements for making SCORM Learning Objects. Proceedings from the Third IEEE International Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies (IEEE DEST 2009).
- (2009) Using the structural content of documents to automatically generate quality metadata. WEBIST 2009 - Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies, Lisbon, Portugal. March 23-26, 2009.
- (2009) Organizing learning objects for personalized eLearning services. ECDL 2009 ; Corfu. 2009-09-27 - 2009-10-02.
- (2009) Organizing learning objects for personalized eLearning services. Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, 13th European Conference, ECDL 2009, Corfu, Greece, September 27- October 2, 2009, Proceedings.
- (2008) Looking for Entities in Bibliographic Records. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5362.
- (2007) FRBR and CRM : the way ahead. Extending the multilingual capacity of The European Library in the EDL project . EDL project / National Library of Sweden; Stockholm. 2007-11-22 - 2007-11-23.
- (2007) FRBR and the library catalogue : possibilities and problems. Katalog 2.0 – och sen då? / 2.0 and beyond? . Svensk Biblioteksförenings kommitté för katalogisering; Stockholm. 2007-11-13 - 2007-11-13.
- (2007) MARC 21 and FRBR. MARC 21 - Experiences, Challenges and Visions . Deutshe National Bibliothek; Frankfurt. 2007-05-14 - 2007-05-15.
- (2007) MARC and FRBR - Match or Mismatch?. Konferanse . The National and University Library of Iceland; Reykjavik. 2007-02-01 - 2007-02-02.
- (2007) Evaluation of digital libraries. International Journal on Digital Libraries.
- (2007) Authoring specification- and test-based Java exercises with JExercise. Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2007).
- (2006) A Process and Tool for the Conversion of MARC Records to a Normalized FRBR Implementation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4312.
- (2006) A Tool for Converting Bibliographic Records. ERCIM News.
- (2006) A Tool for Converting from MARC to FRBR. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4172.
- (2006) JExercise: a specification-based and test-driven exercise support plugin for Eclipse. OOPSLA workshop on eclipse technology eXchange.
- (2005) Formats and FRBR Catalogues – Where's our focus?. FRBR in 21st Century Catalogues . Online Computer Library Center (OCLC); Dublin, Ohio. 2005-02-02 - 2005-05-04.
- (2005) From MARC to FRBR - a case study in the use of the FRBR model on the BIBSYS database. Bibliotheca Universalis - how to organize chaos? . IFLA/WLIC; Järvenpää. 2005-08-11 - 2005-08-12.
- (2004) Evaluating Digital Library Information Models. DELOS Workshop on the Evaluation of Digital Libraries . DELOS NoE WP7; Padova. 2004-10-04 - 2004-10-05.
- (2003) Automatic Conversion from MARC to FRBR. Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL 2003 . [Mangler data]; Trondheim, Norway. 2003-08-22.
- (2002) Navigating in Bibliographic Catalogues. 6th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL 2002 . [Mangler data]; Roma, Italia. 2002-09-18.
- (2001) Linking Information with Distributed Objects. Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries : 5th Europena Conference, ECDL 2001 . [Mangler data]; Darmstadt, Germany. 2001-09-09.
- (2000) Arkitektur for digitale bibliotek. 2000. ISBN 82-7729-026-8.