Background and activities
PhD in Physics: Cornell University Prior employment: Univ. of Arizona, Dartmouth College At NTNU since 2010
Ursula J. Gibson received her A.B. in physics from Dartmouth College, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics from Cornell University. She was on the faculty of the University of Arizona's Optical Sciences Center for eight years before returning to Dartmouth in 1990. She has held visiting positions at the United States Air Force Academy, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Tampere University of Technology, Chalmers University, and the University of Queensland among others.
Her current research is in the development of optical materials, specializing in novel-core optical fibers.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Fiber Integrated Wavelength Converter Based on a Silicon core Fiber with a Nano-spike cCoupler. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters.
- (2019) Nonlinear optical properties of polycrystalline silicon core fibers from telecom wavelengths into the mid-infrared spectral region. Optical Materials Express. vol. 9 (3).
- (2019) Laser restructuring and photoluminescence of glass-clad GaSb/Si-core optical fibres. Nature Communications. vol. 10.
- (2018) A review of materials engineering in silicon-based optical fibre. Semiconductor Science and Technology. vol. 33 (2).
- (2018) Wavelength conversion and supercontinuum generation in silicon optical fibers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. vol. 24:5100309 (3).
- (2018) Nonlinear optical response and structural properties of MBE-grown Fe:ZnS films. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (2).
- (2018) Crystalline GaSb-core optical fibers with room-temperature photoluminescence. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (6).
- (2018) Characterisation of Silicon fibre Bragg grating in near-infrared band for strain and temperature sensing. Electronics Letters. vol. 54 (24).
- (2018) Spectral-luminescent properties of vapor deposited Cr:ZnS thin films and their application as saturable absorbers for 1.5-um erbium lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (3).
- (2017) Laser structuring, stress modification and Bragg grating inscription in silicon-core glass fibers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 7 (5).
- (2017) Material properties of tapered crystalline silicon core fibers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 7 (6).
- (2017) Tapered silicon core fibers with nano-spikes for optical coupling via spliced silica fibers. Optics Express. vol. 25 (20).
- (2016) Laser recrystallization and inscription of compositional microstructures in crystalline SiGe-core fibres. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2016) CO2 Laser-Induced Directional Recrystallization to Produce Single Crystal Silicon-Core Optical Fibers with Low Loss. Advanced Optical Materials. vol. 4 (7).
- (2016) Vapor deposited Cr-doped ZnS thin films: Towards optically pumped mid-infrared waveguide lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 6 (9).
- (2016) Compositional and structural properties of pulsed laser-deposited ZnS:Cr films. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 122 (84).
- (2016) Silicon Optical Fibres - Past, Present and Future. Advances in Physics: X. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Tapered polysilicon core fibers for nonlinear photonics. Optics Letters. vol. 41 (7).
- (2015) Evidence of chromium-cobalt binary cluster formation by pulsed laser evaporation. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry. vol. 380.
- (2015) Light trapping in horizontally aligned silicon microwire solar cells. Optics Express. vol. 23 (24).