Background and activities
PhD in Physics: Cornell University Prior employment: Univ. of Arizona, Dartmouth College At NTNU since 2010
Ursula J. Gibson received her A.B. in physics from Dartmouth College, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics from Cornell University. She was on the faculty of the University of Arizona's Optical Sciences Center for eight years before returning to Dartmouth in 1990. She has held visiting positions at the United States Air Force Academy, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Tampere University of Technology, Chalmers University, and the University of Queensland among others.
Her current research is in the development of optical materials, specializing in novel-core optical fibers.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Wavelength conversion and supercontinuum generation in silicon optical fibers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. vol. 24 (3).
- (2017) Laser structuring, stress modification and Bragg grating inscription in silicon-core glass fibers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 7 (5).
- (2017) Material properties of tapered crystalline silicon core fibers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 7 (6).
- (2017) A review of materials engineering in silicon-based optical fibre. Semiconductor Science and Technology.
- (2017) Tapered silicon core fibers with nano-spikes for optical coupling via spliced silica fibers. Optics Express. vol. 25 (20).
- (2017) Spectral-luminescent properties of vapor deposited Cr:ZnS thin films and their application as saturable absorbers for 1.5-m erbium lasers. Optical Materials Express.
- (2016) Laser recrystallization and inscription of compositional microstructures in crystalline SiGe-core fibres. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2016) CO2 Laser-Induced Directional Recrystallization to Produce Single Crystal Silicon-Core Optical Fibers with Low Loss. Advanced Optical Materials. vol. 4 (7).
- (2016) Vapor deposited Cr-doped ZnS thin films: Towards optically pumped mid-infrared waveguide lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 6 (9).
- (2016) Compositional and structural properties of pulsed laser-deposited ZnS:Cr films. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 122 (84).
- (2016) Silicon Optical Fibres - Past, Present and Future. Advances in Physics: X. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Tapered polysilicon core fibers for nonlinear photonics. Optics Letters. vol. 41 (7).
- (2015) Evidence of chromium-cobalt binary cluster formation by pulsed laser evaporation. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry. vol. 380.
- (2015) Light trapping in horizontally aligned silicon microwire solar cells. Optics Express. vol. 23 (24).
- (2015) Band-edge modification and mid-infrared absorption of co-deposited FexZn1-xS thin films. Optical Materials Express. vol. 5 (7).
- (2015) Molecular beam and pulsed laser deposition of ZnS:Cr for intermediate band solar cells. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 141.
- (2015) Pulsed laser ablation and deposition of ZnS:Cr. Thin Solid Films. vol. 590.
- (2015) Properties of transition metal doped cadmium sulfide hexamers and dodecamers. Chemical Physics Letters. vol. 640.
- (2015) Properties of Transition Metal Substituted Zinc Sulfide Hexamers and Dodecamers. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 17 (21).
- (2015) Kerr nonlinear switching in a hybrid silica-silicon microspherical resonator. Optics Express. vol. 23 (13).