Background and activities
PhD in Physics: Cornell University Prior employment: Univ. of Arizona, Dartmouth College At NTNU since 2010
Ursula J. Gibson received her A.B. in physics from Dartmouth College, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics from Cornell University. She was on the faculty of the University of Arizona's Optical Sciences Center for eight years before returning to Dartmouth in 1990. She has held visiting positions at the United States Air Force Academy, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Tampere University of Technology, Chalmers University, and the University of Queensland among others.
Her current research is in the development of optical materials, specializing in novel-core optical fibers.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Localised structuring of metal-semiconductor cores in silica clad fibres using laser-driven thermal gradients. Nature Communications. vol. 13.
- (2022) A Novel Route to Fibers with Incongruent and Volatile Crystalline Semiconductor Cores: GaAs. ACS Photonics.
- (2021) Core opportunities for future optical fibers. JPhys Photonics. vol. 3 (4).
- (2021) Semiconductor core fibres: materials science in a bottle. Nature Communications. vol. 12.
- (2021) Continuous-wave Raman amplification in silicon core fibers pumped in the telecom band. APL Photonics. vol. 6 (9).
- (2021) Thermal structuring of metal-semiconductor core fibres: toward optoelectronic device fabrication. Research Square.
- (2021) All-optical high-speed modulation of THz transmission through silicon core optical fibers. Optics Express. vol. 29 (3).
- (2020) Terahertz waveguiding in glass-clad silicon wafers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 10 (3).
- (2020) Broadband infrared and THz transmitting silicon core optical fiber. Optical Materials Express. vol. 10 (10).
- (2020) Tapered Submicron Silicon Core Fiber for Broadband Wavelength Conversion. Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO).
- (2020) Four-wave Mixing-based Wavelength Conversion and Parametric Amplification in Submicron Silicon Core Fibers. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. vol. 27 (2).
- (2020) CO2 laser annealed SiGe core optical fibers with radial Ge concentration gradients. Optical Materials Express. vol. 10 (4).
- (2019) Fiber Integrated Wavelength Converter Based on a Silicon core Fiber with a Nano-spike Coupler. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters. vol. 31 (19).
- (2019) Low-loss silicon core fibre platform for mid-infrared nonlinear photonics. Light: Science & Applications (LSA). vol. 8.
- (2019) Nonlinear optical properties of polycrystalline silicon core fibers from telecom wavelengths into the mid-infrared spectral region. Optical Materials Express. vol. 9 (3).
- (2019) Laser restructuring and photoluminescence of glass-clad GaSb/Si-core optical fibres. Nature Communications. vol. 10.
- (2019) Net optical parametric gain in a submicron silicon core fiber pumped in the telecom band. APL Photonics. vol. 4 (8).
- (2019) Ge-capped SiGe core optical fibers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 9 (11).
- (2019) Single crystal semiconductor-core optical fiber. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 11206.
- (2018) A review of materials engineering in silicon-based optical fibre. Semiconductor Science and Technology. vol. 33 (2).