Background and activities
Dr. Xiang Su is a tenure track associate professor at the Department of Computer Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Prior to NTNU, he was an Academy of Finland postdoc fellow (with ranking No. 1 in all applicants of Computer Science panel) and a senior postdoctoral researcher in Prof. Pan Hui's team at Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki (birthplace of Linux), Finland. He received Dr. Technology degree from Center of Ubiquitous Computing, University of Oulu, Finland, supervised by Prof. Jukka Riekki.
Dr. Su has been awarded EU and Academy of Finland research funding by leading a series of international and national research projects. His research focuses on Internet of Things, edge intelligence, mixed reality, mobile computing, and context-awareness. Dr. Xiang Su has a solid international career, with working with Prof. Pan Hui at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2019), Prof. Yong Li at Tsinghua University (2018), Prof. Yuhong Li at Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (2018), Prof. Anind K. Dey at Carnegie Mellon University (2017), Prof. Christian Prehofer and Prof. Manfred Broy at TU Munich (2017 and 2016), Prof. Juha-Pekka Soininen at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland (2017), and Prof. Sasu Tarkoma at Helsinki University of Technology (now Aalto University) (2008-2009) as a visiting scholar.
He is a receipt of Jorma Ollia Grant (2016), Tekniikan Edistämissäätiö (2015), Tauno Tönning Research Foundation Scholarship (2015 and 2013), Walter Ahlströmin Foundation Scholarship (2015), University of Oulu Graduate School Travel Grant (2014 and 2013), Finnish Society of Electronics Engineers Grant (2013), HPY Research Foundation Scholarship (2012), and Nokia foundation scholarship (2010). His publications has received best paper awards and recognitions from Percom 2020, Elsevier Computer Communications, and WIMS 2016. He is a member of ACM, IEEE, IRTF, OGC, and W3C.
• 2019 - 2022 Context-aware and Veracious Big Data Analytics for Industrial IoT (ABIDI), CHIST-ERA, FET programme of EU, Academy of Finland, Co-PI in UOulu (with Röning).
• 2019 - 2021 5G Edge Computing Enhanced Augmented Reality (5GEAR), Academy of Finland ICT 2013 Beyond 5G program, Co-PI in UOulu (with Hui and Ylianttila).
• 2020 - 2020 Federated Learning for Internet of Things, Huawei project, Co-PI (with Hui).
• 2019 - 2022 Privacy Preserving Edge Intelligence for Internet of Things Data Streams, Academy of Finland Postdoc fellow, Sole PI.
• 2017 - 2018 Lightweight Stream Reasoning for the Internet of Things Data, Research mobility project of Jorma Ollila grant. PI.
• 2017 - 2020 6Aika: Future operator independent data integration platform (CityIoT), European Union Regional Fund. Work package leader.
• 2016 - 2017 Internet of Things Traffic Modelling and its Influences on Carrier Networks, Huawei HIRP Open Project. Co-PI (with Riekki and Li).
• 2016 - 2019 TU München Living Lab Connected Mobility, Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Media, Energy and Technology. Guest research scientist.
• 2015 - 2016 Digital Health Revolution, Tekes. Research scientist.
• 2012 - 2016 DIGILE Internet of Things program, Tekes, Work package deliverable leader and research scientist.
• 2009 - 2011 Pervasive Service Computing, Academy of Finland Motive Program. Research scientist.
• 2007 - 2011 Lightweight Service Discovery for Pervasive Ad-hoc Middleware, Personal PhD student position granted by Infotech Oulu Graduate School. PI.
• 2006 - 2009 Knowledge Environment for Interacting ROBOt SWARMs (ROBOSWARM), Sixth Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development of EU(FP6), Research scientist.
• 2005 - 2007 Context-aware Pervasive Networking (CAPNET) research program, Tekes, Research assistant.
• 2003 - 2005 Web Information Structure Modelling for Automatic Resource Discovery, National Natural Science Foundation of China (60273051), Research assistant.
Selected recent publications:
Su X, Liu X, Motlagh NH, Cao J, Su P, Pellikka P, Liu Y, Petäjä T, Kulmala M, Hui P & Tarkoma S (2021), Intelligent and Scalable Air Quality Monitoring with 5G Edge, IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 25, Iss. 2, March-April 1 2021, pp 35-44.
Alhilal A, Braud, T, Su X, Asadi LA & Hui P (2021), CAD3: Edge-facilitated Real-time Collaborative Abnormal Driving Distributed Detection, ICDCS 2021.
Li Z, Xiong G, Tian Y, Lv Y, Chen Y, Pan H & Su X (2020), A Multi-Stream Feature Fusion Approach for Traffic Prediction, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, October 2020 (Early Access), pp 1-11.
Fan B, Liu X, Su X, Hui P & Niu J (2020), EmgAuth: An EMG-based Smartphone Unlocking System Using Siamese Network, IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (Percom 2020) Austin, TX, USA, 23-27 March, pp. 1-10.
Lee LH, Lam KY, Li T, Braud T, Su X, Hui P (2019), Quadmetric Optimized Thumb-to-Finger Interaction for Force Assisted One-Handed Text Entry on Mobile Headsets. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT). Vol. 3, Iss. 3, September 2019.
Su X, Li P, Riekki J, Liu X, Kiljander J, Soininen JP, Prehofer C, Flores H, & Li Y, (2018), Distribution of Semantic Reasoning on the Edge of Internet of Things, IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (Percom 2018), Athens, Greece. 19-23 March, pp 1-9.
Most publications with citations are avaiable from Google Scholar.
Supervision of PhD students:
• Jacky Cao. PhD thesis of University of Oulu, Supervisor (from 2019).
• Boyu Fan. PhD thesis of University of Helsinki, Mentor (Supervisor: Pan Hui).
• Dianlei Xu. PhD thesis of University of Helsinki, Mentor (from 2019, Supervisor:Pan Hui).
• Tong Li. PhD thesis of University of Helsinki, Mentor (from 2018, Supervisors: Pan Hui and Sasu Tarkoma).
Supervision of Postdoc:
• Lik-Hang Lee. University of Oulu. (2019-2020) [Now assistant professor at KAIST, Korea]