Course - Structural analysis 1 - BYGA2260
BYGA2260 - Structural analysis 1
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2023/2024
Virtual work. Plastic hinges and collapse mechanisms for frame structures. Plastic capacity of frames. Displacement method: discretization, degrees of freedom, elements and system, stiffness matrix and load vector. Euler buckling, buckling of frames and the eigenvalue solution. 2. order effects,
This course will give a first introduction to computational methods in structural engineering with focus on frames and trussworks.
- Virtual work, plastic hinges and calculation methods for plastic collapse capacity of frame structures.
- The displacement method, including concepts such as degrees of freedom and stiffness matrix -
- Structure and application of a frame analysis program (e.g. Focus konstruksjon) -
Skills: - How to select adequate degrees of freedom and establish stiffness matrix for hand calculations - - Determine the response in a structure by use of the displacement method (matrix structural analysis)
- Development of the stiffness relation for bar and beam elements from equilibrium considerations as well as from the differential equations
-Perform simple 2. order calculations to determine deformations or buckling loads
General competence: - Plastic capacity of frames - The displacement method - The foundation for numerical calculations of structures - The difference of 1. and 2. order theory - Buckling phenomenology and mathematical treatment.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and exercises.
Exercises by means of hand calculation, python and FOCUS/ROBOT (FEM)
- Compulsory assignments
Further on evaluation
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Civil Engineering (BIBYGG)
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Structural Engineering
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"