Course - Structural design 2 - BYGA2361
BYGA2361 - Structural design 2
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2023/2024
Structural design principles for reinforced concrete and steel structures.
Behavior of steel members under torsion.
Buckling of plates and cross-section classes.
Lateral-torsional buckling of steel beams.
Second-order effects in slender columns.
Design of steel beam-columns.
Bond and anchorage and detailing of reinforcement.
Second order effects.
Introduction to prestressed concrete.
Crack width and deformation calculations.
Creep and shrinkage.
The subject offers theoretical knowledge on the design and behaviour of reinforced concrete and steel structures according to the Eurocodes.
The course has the following learning objectives:
- Mechanical behaviour of concrete and steel
- Design and resistance of RC members subjected to axial force, shear and bending in the ultimate limit state
- Control of crack width and deflections of RC members in the serviceability limit state
- Elastic buckling of steel plates
- Lateral-torsional buckling of steel beams
- Second-order moments and behaviour of beam-columns
- Design RC beams subjected to shear force and bending
- Design of short RC columns
- Calculate displacements and crack widths in slabs and beams including creep and shrinkage in the concrete.
- Calculate cross-section capacity of steel plate girders
- Calculate lateral-torsional buckling capacity of beams
- Design of steel beam-columns
General competence: Theoretical foundation for analysis and design of steel and reinforced concrete structures. Member and section design according to the Eurocodes.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and compulsory calculation exercises. Some exercises require use of computational software such as Python/Excel.
- Compulsory assignments
Further on evaluation
Re-sit exam in Spring semester. For the re-sit exam, the examination form may be changed from written to oral.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Civil Engineering (BIBYGG)
Recommended previous knowledge
BYGA 2021, BYGA 2022
S.I. Sørensen.: Betongkonstruksjoner - Berergning og dimensjonering etter Eurocode 2, Akademika forlag.
NS-EN 1992-1-1:2004+A1:2014+NA:2018: Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings
Per Kr. Larsen: Dimensjonering av stålkonstruksjoner (siste utgave), Fagbokforlaget.
NS-EN 1993 (Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures, Part 1-1 and 1-8.
Stålkonstruksjoner - Profiler og formler, Tapir.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Structural Engineering
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"