Course - Steel Structures - BYGG2256
BYGG2256 - Steel Structures
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
Steel design according to NS-EN 1993-1-1, NS-EN 1993-1-2, NS-EN 1993-1-5 og NS-EN 1993-1-8. Beams and columns. Classifications of cross sections, bolted and welded connections, lateral stiffening, torsional lateral buckling of steel columns, cross-section class 4, design of beams and columns for fire protection.
- After having completed the subject the student will have knowledge of the empirical and theoretical background for the eurocodes (NS-EN) relevant for the topics of the subject.
- After having completed the subject the student will be able to design simple and also somewhat complex steel structures, including bracing systems, according to the relevant eurocodes.
After having completed the subject the student will
- have a very good insight into the carrying capacity of somewhat complex structures.
- have acquired the necessary technical language of the subject.
Learning methods and activities
Scheduled time: lectures: 60 hours; organized guidance: 60 hours; work with compulsory assignments: 120 hours; other preparation: 50 hours; a total of 290 hours. Compulsory work requirements: 6 to 8 exercises, all of which except one must be approved.
- Compulsory assignments
Further on evaluation
If fail: Re-sit of written exam in August
Limited admission to classes.
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Civil Engineering (BIBYGG)
Recommended previous knowledge
Mechanics, Mechanics 2 og Design of constructions.
Announced at the start of the course.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Structural Engineering
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"