Course - Master Thesis in Mathematics Education - DID3940
DID3940 - Master Thesis in Mathematics Education
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
This course consists of work with the master thesis. Under guidance, the student designs and carries out a research project that is documented through a written assignment, the master thesis. The topic of the thesis is decided by the student together with his or her advisor and will vary from student to student. An important part of the work is to familiarize him- or herself with literature relevant for the thesis, and the course material is individual.
- has advanced, spesialized knowledge within an area of mathematics education
- has thorough knowledge about what is required from an academic text in mathematics education
- has knowledge about reference standards for academic texts
- can, under guidance, design and carry out a research project according to current research ethical norms
- can use relevant methods for research in mathematics education in an independent way
- can find one's way in and be critical of different sources of information
- can refer to information sources according to recognized standards
- can understand literature relevant for conducting research within a specific area of mathematics education
- can communicate a large independent research project using the subjects forms of expression
- can contribute to developing mathematics as a subject in school
Learning methods and activities
The master thesis can be written individually or in pairs. Independent work individually or in pairs with guidance individually, in pairs or in groups, and an oral presentation of the master project during the work.
All students must make an agreement about the completion of the master project. The agreement confirms that there is established a connection with a supervisor, that the topic of the thesis is approved and that the parties (candidate, supervisor and department) is informed about and has accepted the guidelines. In master theses written in pairs, a description of the individual candidates contribution to the work must be included.
- Oral presentation of the master project
Further on evaluation
The master thesis is assessed with a letter grade A-F, where the grades A-E are pass grades and the grade F is fail. The master thesis is assessed individually.
Oral presentation of the master project. This also involves being present at other oral presentations conducted the same day. The mandatory activity is assessed by approved or not approved, and must be approved before the master thesis can be submitted for assessment.
Limited admission to classes.
Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Recommended previous knowledge
We recommend that all courses from the first year of Master of Education are passed before starting on this course. Especially we recommend that the course DID3001 Theories of Science and Research Methodology is passed before staring this course.
Required previous knowledge
This course requires admission to the program: Master of Education - Mathematics Education.
The course DID3401 Learning and teaching of mathematics must be passed before the student can enroll in this course. All courses in the programme must be passed before the student can submit the master thesis for assessement.
Individual curriculum. It is a part of the course to find relevant literature related to the topic of the thesis.
Credits: 45.0 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Pedagogical knowledge
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"