Course - English 1 (1-7) module 1 - MGLU1105
MGLU1105 - English 1 (1-7) module 1
English 1 1-7, module 1 focuses on English instruction for grades 5-7. The module provides an introduction to English subject didactics, grammar, and a varied selection of written and visual texts from the English-speaking world for children, adolescents and adults. Development of own language skills, literary and digital competence is central. In addition, the module focuses on varied activities and methods for English instruction in primary school. The module gives insight into relevant research, national steering documents, as well as teaching and learning materials in the subject.
The student has
- knowledge about the current English subject curriculum, national tests and learning material for the target group
- knowledge about acquisition of vocabulary and grammatical structures in English
- knowledge about literature and other cultural expressions which can be used in teaching of children and young adults
- familiarity with up-to-date research and publications relevant to English learning and teaching in grades 5-7
The student can
- use English confidently and functionally, both verbally and in writing, and be a good role model of language use for the pupils
- plan and lead varied and differentiated learning activities, also digital, which promote learning and development of basic skills
- discuss, both verbally and in writing, a selection of literary genres
The student can
- convey relevant subject knowledge and communicate in English in a way which is adapted to pupils in grades 5-7
- work independently and in cooperation with others to facilitate pupils' learning and development
- maintain and develop their linguistic, literary and didactic competence
Learning methods and activities
English is a linguistic, cultural and literary subject. The course requires that students understand each component individually and collectively. Active participation is expected throughout the entire study process. The students are expected to acquire skills through independent study outside of the organized teaching, through group work and the digital learning platform. The students will be assessed throughout the course, individually and in groups, and will receive oral and written feedback from teachers and fellow students. English is the language of teaching and communication. Students are expected to use the language actively in the teaching as well as in written and verbal communication with fellow students and teachers. Through process- and product oriented work with assignments and self-assessment of these, in addition to presentations and active participation in the teaching, the student will contribute to, and receive supervision in, the progression of their studies.
- Obligatory course work according to course description
Further on evaluation
Obligatory course work
- 1 text assignment
- 1 oral presentation
- Up to 8 learning activities
- 75% obligatory attendance for all scheduled teaching
All obligatory course work will be evaluated as Approved/Not Approved. All obligatory course work must be approved in order to sit for the exams.
- Individual written exam in grammar. The candidates can bring with them one A4 page of notes.
- Oral group exam in English subject didactics. Duration: 30 minutes. The exam includes a preparatory component.
The examination questions must be answered in English.
The candidate must pass both components to receive an overall grade in the course. The candidate can retake one or both components of the final assessment. It is possible to appeal a grade given on parts of the assessment (not oral/practical examination).
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Primary and Lower Secondary Teacher Education for Years 1-7 (MGLU1-7) - some programmes
Recommended previous knowledge
A good command of English from secondary education
Required previous knowledge
Enrollment requirement: The module is only offered to students enrolled on a teacher education program.
The reading list will be posted on Blackboard prior to semester start.
Credits: 15.0 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2024
Language of instruction: English
- Teacher Education
Examination arrangement: Written and oral examination
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn UTS Oral examination 49/100 ALLE
Room Building Number of candidates
- Autumn UTS Written examination 51/100 HJELPEMIDD 2023-12-18 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL310 blå sone Sluppenvegen 14 1
Oral examination (1)
2024-05-13 - 2024-05-14
Room Building Number of candidates
- Spring ORD Written examination 51/100 HJELPEMIDD 2024-06-06 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL111+SL210 Sluppenvegen 14 23
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
- 1) Individuelt tidspunkt blir publisert senere.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"