Course - Profession Theory for Teacher Educators - PLU8018
PLU8018 - Profession Theory for Teacher Educators
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2022/2023
In this course the student gets to know about central positions of contemporary teaching professional theory. You will learn about professionalization as a historical process, emphasizing on the development and growth of the teaching profession. "Classics" within the field are also studied.
The candidate has the following knowledge:
- Extensive knowledge on professional theories taught and of the "classics" within the research field of the teaching profession.
The candidate has the following skills:
- Analytical competency related to the theories and questions within the profession and with the teaching profession in particular.
The candidate has the following general competencies:
- Extensive insight into the main research questions of the teaching profession.
- Extensive knowledge of the central positions in contemporary professional theory.
- Extensive knowledge on professionalization as a historical process.
Learning methods and activities
The course is integrated in the teaching program of The Norwegian National Research School in Teacher Education (NAFOL) and course activities will take place at seminars, both domestic and abroad, over a four-year period. Course activities includes lectures, group-discussions, individual and study group work, and student presentations. A seminar attendance of minimum 80 % is required to pass the course.
- 80% compulsary attendance
- Paper 1
- Paper 2
- Paper 3
- Paper 4
- Paper 5
Further on evaluation
A seminar attendance of minimum 80 % and approved assignments are required to pass the course.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Required previous knowledge
Admission to PhD Program.
Admission requirements: The course requires admission to NAFOL - The National Research School in Teacher Education. The last admission to NAFOL was made in the spring of 2019.
NAFOL students must be affiliated with one of NAFOL's network institutions through institutional funding and / or through admission to one of the network institutions' PhD programs.
Core curriculum: Terum, I. & Grimen, H. (2008). Profesjonskunnskap (selections of); Rasmussen, J., Kruse, S. & Holm, C. (2007). Viden om uddannelse. (selections of); articles handed out at seminars. Of your own choosing, one of the «classics» within the field, among others: Bourdieu, Foucault, Luhmann, Vygotsky, Dewey.
Credits: 5.0 SP
Study level: Doctoral degree level
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- School Development
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Teacher Education
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"