Course - Purchasing & Supply Management - SMF2010
SMF2010 - Purchasing & Supply Management
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2020/2021
1. Purchasing definitions and scope of purchasing
2. Role of Purchasing in the value chain
3. Purchasing processes
4. Purchasing strategy and strategic purchasing
5. Category management
6. Types of purchasing and supply organizations and structures
7. Contract strategy and contracts management
8. Negotiation strategy and tactics
9. Different types of sourcing types and their application.
10. Public procurement & Competitive bidding processes
11. Supplier positioning tools and supplier preferencing models
12. Buyer-supplier interface management
13. Green/ sustainable purchasing
In this course the students shall learn about the basic theory, tools and techniques of finding the right suppliers of goods and services which organizations need for their business operations and how best to maintain the right relationships with suppliers.
To do the above they will have knowledge :
To understand the role of purchasing in value creation process of the organization
To understand the importance of effective supplier management in the competitive advantage of an organization
To understand the sourcing tactics used in organizations to get the price and quality from suppliers.
To apply different tools and techniques in the purchasing process to arrive at an optimal purchasing decision.
To be able develop supplier evaluation criteria for use in competitive tendering for public contracts.
To be able to develop negotiation strategies and applies one or more negotiation tools like BATNA, ZOPA, MDO, LAA etc into a negotiation. process.
Have a basic understanding of the impact of purchasing decisions in business operations
Have a good understanding of why maintaining good supplier relationships is good for an organization
Reflect on the importance of good contract design and management in the purchasing process
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, group assignments, practical exercises & assignments
Further on evaluation
A mandantory Assignment(40%) and Written Exam (60%)
Limited admission to classes.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Business Administration and Management (BØKLED)
Recommended previous knowledge
SMF1200 logistics management
Main coursebook title: Purchasing and supply chain management: Analysis, strategy, planning and practice. Cengage Learning EMEA
Author: Van Weele, Arjan J.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- Organization and Leadership
- Economics and Administration
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"