Course - Traffic Engineering and ITS - TBA4286
TBA4286 - Traffic Engineering and ITS
Traffic flow theory. Capacity and quality of traffic flow. Traffic signal control. Intelligent transport systems and services (ITS). Traffic and driver information. Field equippment and technology issues. Collection, analysis and presentation of traffic data. Traffic flow related to efficiency, safety, environmental issues and road design. Traffic analysis and simulation models with focus on AIMSUN and SIDRA INTERSECTION. Vehicle technology and advanced driver support systems. Co-operative systems and automated driving. Privacy and ITS.
Knowledge (The candidate should have knowledge of):
- terminology, relations and theoretical models for traffic flow
- relation between road user behaviour, road design and traffic flow
- relevant ITS measures to improve traffic flow, safety and environment
- international trends and development of the ITS area
Skills (The candidate is able to):
- use and understand relevant equipment and approved methods to collect, process and analyse traffic data
- use and understand approved methods to analyse quality of traffic flow
- design different ITS measures and assess benefit, costs and other effects
- use approved terminology and standardization within ITS
General competence (The candidate can):
- assess traffic management schemes in a total and sustainable manner in relation to quality of traffic flow, environment, safety and costs
- explain how different ITS measures influence road user behaviour and social development
- give a clear and understandable presentation and documentation of analysis and evaluations
- solve different tasks within quality of traffic flow and ITS on your own and as a part of a team
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, workshops and exercises. The lectures and exercises are in English when non-Norwegian speaking students follow the subject.
Further on evaluation
Portfolio assessment is the basis for the grade in the course. The portfolio includes a final written exam (70%) and assignment (30%). The results for the parts are given in %-scores, while the entire portfolio is assigned a letter grade. If there is a re-sit examination, the examination form may be changed from written to oral. For a re-take of an examination, all assessments during the course must be re-taken.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Recommended previous knowledge
Partly based on TBA4203 Geometric design of roads, TBA4320 Traffic safety and risk evaluation, and TBA4291 Transport analysis or similar knowledge.
Books, reports and lecture notes.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2022
Language of instruction: English
- Urban Design and Planning
- Building and construction technology
- Highway Engineering
- Town and Regional Planning
- Transportation Engineering
- Technological subjects
Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Spring ORD Assignment 30/100 A INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- Spring ORD School exam 70/100 C 2022-05-31 15:00
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"