course-details-portlet

TDT4195 - Visual Computing Fundamentals

About

Examination arrangement

Examination arrangement: Aggregate score
Grade: Letter grades

Evaluation Weighting Duration Grade deviation Examination aids
Assignment 40/100
School exam 60/100 3 hours D

Course content

Half of the course is concerned with image syntesis (computer graphics) and half of the course is on image analysis (image processing). Graphics: graphical primitives, rasterization, anti-aliasing, clipping, geometric transformations, viewing transformations, hierarchical scene modelling, culling and hidden surface elimination, colour representation, illumination models and algorithms. OpenGL labs based on C/C++ or Rust. Image processing: introduction to and examples of image processing and simple image analysis applications. Intro to deep learning based image interpretation and understanding (fully-connected neural networks and CNNs). Filtering and image enhancement in both the spatial domain as well as in the frequency / Fourier domain. Various image segmentation methods and mathematical morphology. Labs with assignments and Python (alternatively MATLAB). For more information see also: https://www.idi.ntnu.no/grupper/vis/teaching/ as well as Blackboard.

Learning outcome

Knowledge: The candidate will acquire knowledge of basic image synthesis and image analysis principles and algorithms. Skills: The candidate will acquire skills in graphics and image processing programming with commonly used tools. General competence: The candidate will gain competence in realising the potential of basic graphics and image processing techniques, an overview of visual computing, the ability to construct sizeable visual computing applications as well as to absorb further visual computing knowledge.

Learning methods and activities

Lectures and exercises. The lectures will be in English. The exam will be in English.

Further on evaluation

The course involves up to 6 assignments in graphics and image processing, that jointly count for 40% of the grade. A written examination makes up the other 60%. The final result is A-F.

If there is a re-sit examination, the examination form may change from written to oral.

If a student decides to retake the course for grade improvement or if the student failed the course, then they have to redo both parts of the course.

Course materials

To be announced at start of semester.

Credit reductions

Course code Reduction From To
SIF8043 7.5
Facts

Version: 1
Credits:  7.5 SP
Study level: Third-year courses, level III

Coursework

Term no.: 1
Teaching semester:  AUTUMN 2023

Language of instruction: English

Location: Trondheim

Subject area(s)
  • Informatics
  • Technological subjects
Contact information
Course coordinator: Lecturer(s):

Department with academic responsibility
Department of Computer Science

Examination

Examination arrangement: Aggregate score

Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
Autumn ORD School exam 60/100 D 2023-12-04 09:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
SL120 blå sone Sluppenvegen 14 4
SL274 Sluppenvegen 14 2
SL311 grønn sone Sluppenvegen 14 48
SL311 orange sone Sluppenvegen 14 65
Autumn ORD Assignment 40/100
Room Building Number of candidates
Summer UTS School exam 60/100 D INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
  • * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
Examination

For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"

More on examinations at NTNU