TDT4250 - Model-Driven Software Engineering


Examination arrangement

Examination arrangement: Portfolio
Grade: Letter grades

Evaluation Weighting Duration Grade deviation Examination aids
Portfolio 100/100

Course content

Introduction to meta-programming. Techniques for the specification of structured models and metamodels. Model-driven development of software, code generation and domain-specific languages. Design and implementation of modular software, focussing on variability at design-time and at run-time. Component-based design, component-based architectures and frameworks. Deployment and continuous integration of modular systems.

Learning outcome

Knowledge: The students shall know generic methods for modeling, designing and implementing modular software and model-driven development of software. Skills: The student shall have practical skills in modeling, designing and implementing modular software, with modern frameworks and tools, including model-based techniques. General competency: The students shall know of and be able to select among different methods and techniques for developing modular software.

Learning methods and activities

Lectures, exercises and supervised project.

Compulsory assignments

  • Exercises

Further on evaluation

The portfolio consists of one or more assignments (contributing 30% of the grade) and a semester project (contributing the remaining 70%). The assignments are individual on specific topics, while the project is developed in groups of 3-4 students and it is intended to demonstrate competence on the overall content of the course.

The compulsory exercise consists in having the group composition and project topic defined until a certain date. The group does this themselves with guidance from the teacher.

Feedback and guidance for the project will be given throughout the semester.

In the event of voluntary repetition, fail (F) or valid absence, the entire project and portfolio must be retaken in a semester with teaching.

Course materials

To be announced at the start of the term.


Version: 1
Credits:  7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level


Term no.: 1
Teaching semester:  AUTUMN 2024

Language of instruction: English

Location: Trondheim

Subject area(s)
  • Computer Systems
  • Informatics
  • Technological subjects
Contact information
Course coordinator:

Department with academic responsibility
Department of Computer Science


Examination arrangement: Portfolio

Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
Autumn ORD Portfolio 100/100
Room Building Number of candidates
  • * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.

For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"

More on examinations at NTNU