TDT4250 - Advanced Software Design


Examination arrangement

Examination arrangement: Portfolio
Grade: Letter grades

Evaluation Weighting Duration Grade deviation Examination aids
Portfolio 100/100

Course content

Generic techniques for modeling, design and implementation of modular software, focussing on industrial techniques and domains. Component-based design, component-based architectures and frameworks, distributed component-based systems. Model-driven development of software, code generation and domain-specific languages. Testing, continuous integration, deployment and governance.

Learning outcome

Knowledge:The students shall know generic methods for modeling, designing and implementing modular software and model-driven development of software, and how these are used in various phases of development and maintenance.Skills:The student shall have practical skills in modeling, designing and implementing modular software, with modern frameworks and tools, including model-based techniques.Generell competency: The students shall know of and be able to select among different methods and techniques for developing modular software.

Learning methods and activities

Lectures, exercises and supervised project. The course may be taught in English if taken by students without Norwegian language skills.

Compulsory assignments

  • Exercises

Further on evaluation

The portfolio consists of one or more assignments (contributing 30% of the grade) and a semester project (contributing the remaining 70%). The assignments are individual exercises on specific topics, while the project is developed in groups of 3-4 students and it is intended to demonstrate competence on the overall content of the course. The objective of the project is defined by groups themselves, with guidance from the teacher. Feedback and guidance for the project will be given throughout the semester.

Course materials

To be announced at the start of the term.


Version: 1
Credits:  7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level


Term no.: 1
Teaching semester:  AUTUMN 2022

Language of instruction: English, Norwegian

Location: Trondheim

Subject area(s)
  • Computer Systems
  • Informatics
  • Technological subjects
Contact information
Course coordinator:

Department with academic responsibility
Department of Computer Science


Examination arrangement: Portfolio

Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
Autumn ORD Portfolio 100/100
Room Building Number of candidates
  • * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.

For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"

More on examinations at NTNU