TIØ4161 - Project and Human Resource Management


Examination arrangement

Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment
Grade: Letters

Evaluation form Weighting Duration Examination aids Grade deviation
Work 40/100
Written examination 60/100 4 hours D

Course content

Projects and project management, project organisation, management of projects, project teams and project success, modern Human Resource Management, industrial relations, knowledge management and employee development, team work.

Learning outcome

The position and function of the course in the study program MTIØT:
The course is obligstory for all third year students at MTIØT, and is designed to contribute to learning outcome 2.1 in the detailed learning outcomes for MTIØT, where it requires a broad and sound basic knowledge in managerial and economic areas.

The course will detail to the following knowledge areas:
- General knowledge of projects and project work
- Specific knowledge about models on how to measure project success, as well as an understanding that success must be seen in relation to who is asking, the purpose of measuring success and the point in time in which success is measured
- Specific knowledge om models and factors which decides how to organise a project in relation to it's mother organisation(s)
- Specific knowledge on how to build a project team, and what factors needs to be assessed when building a team
Specific knowledge about models of interaction between projects and interest groups in the project environment
- General knowledge about Human Resource-work in companies
- Specific knowledge on models and factors which affect the measurement of effectiveness and motivation in companies
- Specific knowledge about the industrial relations of a company, and how this works in Norwegian work life.

The course will give the students the following competences:
- competence in evaluating and analysing the situation in an organization with respect to important HR-questions
- competence in suggesting action alternatives to improve end develop HR-policies in the organization
- competence in evaulating and analysing the situation in an organization with respect to questions related to projects and how they are run by the organization
- competence in suggesting action alternatives to improve and develop the way in which the organization handles existing and future projects.

Other important learning outcomes:
- Through a large project in a real organization, the students will get practical training in analysing a real situation
- Through the report, students will learn to use written arguments to explain a situation and the action alternatives seen as important in improving the situation analysed
- Through the process of evaluating and giving feedback on each others group reports, students will learn to give oral and written response on other people's work in order to develop their own skills at understanding other peoples work.

Learning methods and activities

Lectures and written excercises. The excercises are compulsory and done in groups. Together, they count for 40% of the mark. A written examination at the end of the course constitutes the other 60% of the mark. It is obligatory to be present at certain presentations and to give feedback to other students work as assigned by the course coordinators. If there is a re-sit examination, the examination form may change from written to oral.

Compulsory assignments

  • Attendance at presentations

Specific conditions

Exam registration requires that class registration is approved in the same semester. Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.

Course materials

A literature list is handed out at the beginning of the course.


Detailed timetable


Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment

Term Statuskode Evaluation form Weighting Examination aids Date Time Room *
Autumn ORD Work 40/100
Summer KONT Work 40/100
Autumn ORD Written examination 60/100 D 2016-12-10 09:00 D1 , K3 , R73
Summer KONT Written examination 60/100 D 2017-08-08 09:00 H3 Rom 511 , Storhall del 1
  • * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date.
If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.