Course - Fuzzy Front End - TMM4245
TMM4245 - Fuzzy Front End
Examination arrangement: Work
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
Radical innovations and new solution approaches in engineering design; The Fuzzy Front End - the engineering phase leading up to the requirements definition. Deal with uncertainties; Iterations in the solution Space; Prototyping; Fast learning; Stakeholder identification; Deep analysis of problem involvement; Need finding based on both anthropological foundations and on sensor and data analysis; Human Centered Engineering Design; SCRUM principles; Lean; TRIZ; Axiomatic Design; Simulations.
Knowledge: The candidate has knowledge of:
- Fuzzy Front End Challenges.
- Techniques generating, testing and ideation pre requirement concepts
- Building, testing and iterating prototypes with the aim of learning
- Ability to judge and discuss the pros and cons of a deterministic optimization space vs. an abductive generative space.
Skills: The candidate can:
- Identify, generate and test problem and solution components in complex and unstructured environments.
- Transition iteratively from problem space exploration to solution space generation, ending in the fixation of a requirement set.
- Invent and build new and specific tools, sensors and method to address hitherto unknown problem dimensions.
- Collaborate and learn interdisciplinary to achieve the mentioned above.
- Have machining skills esp. with laser cutter, mechatronic systems (Arduino), 3D printer, CAD, handtools ...
General competence: The candidate can: Apply Fuzzy Front End engineering competences to various unstructured problems and situations.
Learning methods and activities
This course is centered on understanding and successfully dealing with the specific conditions in the Engineering Fuzzy Front End. Based on a combination of interactive lectures, small team meetings with coaches and project work, we will learn, test but also develop various generative concept creation techniques and prototyping approaches. Teams of three will be formed and they will be challenged with a wicked engineering design problem. During the course of the semester various conceptual prototyping techniques and test scenarios will be developed. Candidates will participate in early stage high risk project teams to generate radical solution concepts and will work with the transition of the insights into the classical development process. Exercise work is the main focus in this course. Due to the practical nature of this course and the limited space and machine park (HSM), this course is limited to 27 students.
Further on evaluation
The grade in this course is based on the project work, on one individual 5 page paper and on activities and small tests throughout the semester. Since the grade is partly based group and individual work handed in throughout the semester, repeating students are requested to take the course again. In special cases a long level 1 paper/publication might be approved as replacement. The content and structure etc. has to be approved by the lecturer.
Limited admission to classes.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Recommended previous knowledge
TMM4115 Produktmodellering or similar. TMM4220 Innovation by Design Thinking.
Information will be given throughout the semester via Blackboard.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2022
Extraordinary deadline for course registration: 2021-12-01
Language of instruction: English
- Design Strategies
- Design Methodology
- Technological subjects
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Examination arrangement: Work
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Digital exam Room *
- Spring ORD Work 100/100
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"