Background and activities
- TMM 4220 - CoTeacher with Prof. Lozano, Innovation by Design Thinking (7th semester)
- TMM 4245 - Fuzzy Front End Engineering (8th semester)
- TMM 4280 - CoTeacher with Prof. Welo, Advanced Product Developement (9th semester)
- TMM 4560 - Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project (9th semester)
- TMM 4901 - Engineering Design, Calculation and Manufacture, Master's Thesis (10th semester)
- MM 8101 - Engineering Design Methodology (PhD seminar, fall)
specials/prototypes, when availble
- CERN - Challenge Based Innovation CBI, 6 month course with and at CERN (2 NTNU teams, jointly IPM/Steinert and IPD/Boks)
- Stanford University - ME310, 9 month course with and at Stanford (1 NTNU/IPM team, challenge sponsored by Renault/Nissan)
Short CV, Martin Steinert, Ph.D.
I am Professor of Eng. Design and Innovation at the Department of Eng. Design and Materials at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). I teach fuzzy front-end engineering for radical new product/service/system concepts and graduate research seminars for PhDs engaged in topics related to new product design and development. My various research projects are usually multidisciplinary (ME/CS/EE/Neuro- and Cognitive Sc.) and often connected with industry. The aim is to uncover, understand and leverage early stage engineering design paradigms with a special focus onto human-machine/object interactions. Recently I have published in Int. Journal of Product Development, Int. Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, Journal of Eng. Design and Technology, Int. Journal of Design, Int. Journal of Eng. Education, Tech. Forecasting and Social Change, Energy Policy, Information Knowledge System Management Journal … Ever since a short stint at MIT and my time as Deputy Director at the Center for Design Research and at the d.research program (Hasso Plattner Design Thinking Research program) at Stanford University, the overarching aim of my research and teaching is to always push the boundaries for Norwegian product development teams, so that they will ideate, more radical new concepts, faster.
- for full paper overview and access: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Steinert
- for TrollLABS site: http://www.trolllabs.com/
- more: https://www.facebook.com/TrollLaboratories
- TMM4560 - Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
- TMM4540 - Industrial ICT Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
- TMM4960 - Engineering Design and Materials, Master's Thesis
- TMM4935 - Industrial ICT, Master's Thesis
- MM8101 - Engineering Design Research and Scientific Methods/Tools
- TMM4220 - Innovation by Design Thinking
- TMM4245 - Fuzzy Front End
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Demonstrating the Feasibility of Multimodal Neuroimaging Data Capture with a Wearable Electoencephalography + Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (EEG+FNIRS) in Situ. Proceedings of the Design Society. vol. 1.
- (2021) Description of a Wearable Electroencephalography + Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (EEG+FNIRS) for In-Situ Experiments on Design Cognition. Proceedings of the Design Society. vol. 1.
- (2021) Real-World fNIRS Brain Activity Measurements during Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Brain Sciences. vol. 11 (6).
- (2021) User involvement in early-stage design of medical training devices – case of a palpation task trainer prototype. Design for Health. vol. 5 (2).
- (2021) Protobooth: Gathering and analyzing data on prototyping in early-stage engineering design projects by digitally capturing physical prototypes. Artificial intelligence for engineering design, analysis and manufacturing. vol. 35 (1).
- (2021) Detecting glass and metal in consumer trash bags during waste collection using convolutional neural networks. Waste Management. vol. 119.
- (2021) Human Factor Issues in Remote Ship Operations: Lesson Learned by Studying Different Domains. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9 (4).
- (2021) Photogrammetry-based 3D scanning for supporting design activities and testing in early stage product development. Procedia CIRP. vol. 100.
- (2021) Leveraging synthetic data from CAD models for training object detection models – a VR industry application case. Procedia CIRP. vol. 100.
- (2021) Perception by Palpation: Development and Testing of a Haptic Ferrogranular Jamming Surface. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. vol. 8.
- (2021) Case Report: Adjusting Seat and Backrest Angle Improves Performance in an Elite Paralympic Rower. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 3.
- (2021) Topology-Optimization-Based Learning: A Powerful Teaching and Learning Framework under the Prism of the CDIO Approach. Education Sciences. vol. 11 (7).
- (2021) Simulation-based design: A case study in combining optimization methodologies for angle-ply composite laminates. Procedia CIRP. vol. 100.
- (2021) Optimization of Brake Calipers Using Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing. Applied Sciences. vol. 11 (4).
- (2021) Combining Macro- and Mesoscale Optimization: A Case Study of the General Electric Jet Engine Bracket. Designs. vol. 5 (4).
- (2020) ON PROTOTYPING METHODS TO LEVERAGE NON-RIGID MATERIALS IN THE EARLY STAGES OF ENGINEERING DESIGN. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference.
- (2020) Mayday, Mayday, Mayday: Using salivary cortisol to detect distress (and eustress!) in critical incident training. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. vol. 78.
- (2020) Concept evaluation in new product development: A set-based method utilizing rapid prototyping and physical modelling. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology. vol. 18 (5).
- (2020) On the mechanical integrity of AA6082 3D structures deposited by hybrid metal extrusion & bonding additive manufacturing. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 282.
- (2020) Six Pillars of Modern Entrepreneurial Theory and How to Use Them. Fundamentals of Software Startups : Essential Engineering and Business Aspects.
- (2020) A low-cost predictive display for teleoperation: Investigating effects on human performance and workload. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. vol. 145.
- (2020) Exploring Challenges with Designing and Developing Shore Control Centres (SCCs) for Autonomous Ships. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference. vol. 1.
- (2020) Dealing with Ecological Validity and User Needs when Developing Simulation Based Training Equipment – Case Study of a Medical Palpation Task Trainer. Procedia CIRP. vol. 91.
- (2020) DESIGNING AN EXPERIMENT FOR EVALUATING SEATING POSITIONS IN PARALYMPIC ROWING. Proceedings of the Design Society: DESIGN Conference. vol. 1.
- (2020) Integration of low-cost, dry-comb EEG-electrodes with a standard electrode cap for multimodal signal acquisition during human experiments. Proceedings of the NordDesign 2020 conference August 11 – 14, 2020 Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
- (2020) A Modular Research Platform – Proof-of-Concept of a Flexible Experiment Setup Developed for Rapid Testing of Simulators, UIs and Human Physiology Sensors. Procedia CIRP. vol. 91.
- (2020) Advancing empirical evidence of iteration stereotypes in the fuzzy front end of product development processes. Procedia CIRP. vol. 91.
- (2020) The Crux of Integration Prototyping in Complex Environments. Proceedings of the NordDesign 2020 conference August 11 – 14, 2020 Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
- (2020) User research enabled by makerspaces: bringing functionality to classical experience prototypes. Artificial intelligence for engineering design, analysis and manufacturing. vol. 34 (3).
- (2020) Bringing Reality Back to Virtual Reality - A Collaborative Tool for Multidisciplinary Teams. Proceedings of the NordDesign 2020 conference August 11 – 14, 2020 Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
- (2020) Proposing a novel approach for testing complex medical task trainer prototypes. Proceedings of the NordDesign 2020 conference August 11 – 14, 2020 Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
- (2020) Designing the Future: Strategy, Design, and the 4th Industrial Revolution—An Introduction to the Special Issue. California Management Review. vol. 62 (2).
- (2020) TrollBOT: A Spontaneous Networking Tool Facilitating Rapid Prototyping of Wirelessly Communicating Products. Procedia CIRP. vol. 91.
- (2020) Get Give Make Live: An Empirical Comparative Study of Motivations for Technology, Youth and Arts Entrepreneurship. Social Enterprise Journal. vol. 16 (2).
- (2020) Topology and Parametric Optimization-Based Design Processes for Lightweight Structures. Applied Sciences. vol. 10 (13).
- (2020) Integrating Carbon Fiber Based Piezoresistive Composites for Flow Characterization in In-vitro Cell Research Equipment. Procedia CIRP. vol. 91.
- (2020) Investigating the relationship between mental state (workload and affect) and physiology in a control room setting (ship bridge simulator). Cognition, Technology & Work. vol. 22 (1).
- (2019) Exemplifying Prototype-Driven Development through Concepts for Medical Training Simulators. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Capturing Prototype Progress in Digital Fabrication Education. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 1 (1).
- (2019) On Solid-State Deposition of Metal Structures - Conceptualization of a New Additive Manufacturing Method based on Hybrid Metal Extrusion & Bonding. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-4094-2.
- (2019) First demonstration of a new additive manufacturing process based on metal extrusion and solid-state bonding. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 105 (5-6).
- (2019) Investigating the mechanics of hybrid metal extrusion and bonding additive manufacturing by FEA. Metals. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) Rapid prototyping and physical modelling in the development of a new additive manufacturing process for aluminium alloys. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 34.
- (2019) Resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta (REBOA) in non-traumatic out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: Evaluation of an educational programme. BMJ Open. vol. 9:e027980 (5).
- (2019) A dynamic and a static approach to the business model - Investigating the potential difference in business model focus. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC).
- (2019) An analysis of Core Competence and Unique Value Proposition as normative entrepreneurship elements. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC).
- (2019) On Digitally Capturing Prototypes from Ongoing Early-Stage Product Development Projects: A Technology-Focused Approach to Enabling Research on Prototype-Driven Projects. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-4014-0. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (209).
- (2019) Efforts on Capturing Prototyping and Design Activity in Engineering Design Research. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Fixation on premature concept choices - a pitfall of early prototyping?. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Evaluating and optimizing chaotically behaving mobile robots with a deterministic simulation. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Development and verification of a simulation for leveraging results of a human subjects programming experiment. arXiv.
- (2019) The Relevance of Testing in Engineering Product Development - Investigations on a Robot Programming Task. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Experimental Investigations of an Icing Protection System for UAVs. SAE technical paper series. vol. 2019-June (June).
- (2019) EEG Application for Human-Centered Experiments in Remote Ship Operations. CENTRIC 2019, The Twelfth International Conference on Advances in Human oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services.
- (2019) From Hand-Drawn Sketching to Laser Cutting - A Proof of Concept Prototype and Pilot Study. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 1.
- (2019) Wayfaring in the Biomedical Sector: A Call for Re-Introducing the Toolmaker. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-3597-9.
- (2019) Integrated flow chamber device for live cell microscopy. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. vol. 7 (91).
- (2019) Combining technology and entrepreneurial education through design thinking: Students' reflections on the learning process. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. vol. 164.
- (2019) Promoting strategic entrepreneurship at the firm level: a case study on training staff within a large organisation. International Journal of Product Development. vol. 23 (4).
- (2019) Insights for Prototyping for the Industrial Internet - Iterative Prototyping Loops of Connected Sensor Platforms. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-3755-3. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2019:76).
- (2019) A Combined Photoplethysmography and Force Sensor Prototype for Improved Pulse Waveform Analysis. 2019 IEEE SENSORS Proceedings.
- (2019) A comparative study between traditional topology optimization and lattice optimization for additive manufacturing. Material Design & Processing Communications (MDPC).
- (2019) Messing with boundaries - quantifying the potential loss by pre-set parameters in topology optimization. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.
- (2019) Piezoresistive Chopped Carbon Fiber Rubber Silicone Sensors for Shedding Frequency Detection in Alternating Vortex Streets. 2019 IEEE SENSORS Proceedings.
- (2019) Observations on the effects of skill transfer through experience sharing and in-person communication. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 2019-August.
- (2019) Creating your Own Tools: Prototyping Environments for Prototype Testing. Procedia CIRP. vol. 84.