TMR4230 - Oceanography


Examination arrangement

Examination arrangement: Aggregate score
Grade: Letter grades

Evaluation Weighting Duration Grade deviation Examination aids
Oral exam 30/100 20 minutes E
Oral exam 70/100 20 minutes E

Course content

Properties of seawater. Conservation equations. Equations of motion. Coriolos effect. Geostrophic current. Inertial current. Planetary boundary layer flow. Wind-induced current. Bottom currents. Circulation. Tides. Global and local wind description. Mean wind. Wind gust. Wave forecast. Surface waves. Wave refraction. Non-linear waves. Breaking waves. Wave-current interaction.

Learning outcome

To have a good physical understanding of phenomena contributing to the interaction between the atmosphere and the ocean, and which also contribute to the motions in the ocean. To have detailed knowledge of global and local description of wind conditions, of how waves change due to change in water depth and interacting with currents. To have some knowledge of non-linear and breaking waves. To have detailed knowledge of physical phenomena which contribute to currents in the ocean. To be able to make simple calculations of wind-, wave- and current conditions. To master the concepts and terminology which are used in the description of wind, waves and currents.

Learning methods and activities

Lectures and exercises.

Further on evaluation

There will be two oral exams, one counting 70% and the other oral mid term exam counting 30%. Both are assigned letter grades, and the final grade is also assigned letter grade. For a re-take of an examination, all assessments during the course must be re-taken.

Course materials

Myrhaug, D: Lecture notes on Wind. Waves. Current.

Credit reductions

Course code Reduction From To
SIN1547 7.5
More on the course



Version: 1
Credits:  7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level


Term no.: 1
Teaching semester:  AUTUMN 2024

Language of instruction: English

Location: Trondheim

Subject area(s)
  • Technological subjects
Contact information
Course coordinator:

Department with academic responsibility
Department of Marine Technology


Examination arrangement: Aggregate score

Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
Autumn ORD Oral exam 30/100 E
Room Building Number of candidates
Autumn ORD Oral exam 70/100 E
Room Building Number of candidates
Summer UTS Oral exam 30/100 E
Room Building Number of candidates
Summer UTS Oral exam 70/100 E
Room Building Number of candidates
  • * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.

For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"

More on examinations at NTNU