Course - Hydraulic Design - TVM5125
TVM5125 - Hydraulic Design
The course covers the basics of open channel flow hydraulics and hydraulic design of energy dissipation structures, spillways and outlets, surge tanks, hydraulic steel works, valves, gates and pipe hydraulics.
The course is offered in English to the first years students of the Hydropower Development MSc programme and the fourth year students of the siv.ing. studies in Civil and Environmental Engineering. The course provides the basic knowledge of equations for calculations of water flow in rivers and hydraulic structures. The students will be able to plan and design hydraulic structures and waterways of a hydropower plant, based on the content of the course. Knowledge:
Expected knowledge from the student:
- Distinction of different flow types
- Association of energy balance and hydraulic jump
- Energy balance: Understanding of the critical flow and the specific energy concept
- Different influences on the flow and the according flow pattern changes
- Flow downstream a spillway and through an opening
- Development of various water lines in the river
- Pipeline design for given hydraulic conditions
Skills through the course:
- Calculation of the capacity of a river under normal conditions and high water levels
- Calculation of energy dissipation in a hydraulic jump
- Calculation of the capacity of an overflow or outflow
- Calculation of the water lines in different flow conditions
- Dimension of pipelines
General knowledge provided by the course:
- Understanding of the relationship between the derivation of basic equations and solutions of practical flow problems around hydro power plants
- Understand the issues that can be solved with simplistic methods, and which ones require more expertise
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and exercises are to a large extent integrated. All lectures and exercises are given in English. Exercises are supplemented with examples in the hydraulic laboratory. For the written exam the exercise will only be given in English. Students can answer the exercise in English or Norwegian.
Further on evaluation
The examination form may be changed from written to oral in case of a re-sit examination. All simple calculators are allowed on the exam.
Recommended previous knowledge
The student should have knowledge in fluid mechanics.
Books from the series "Hydropower Development", "open channel hydraulics" by Hubert Chanson, "Open-channel Hydraulics", V.T. Chow, and supplementary lecture notes (English).
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2023
Language of instruction: English
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Water Supply and Wastewater Systems
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD School exam 100/100 D , H 2023-12-05 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates SL310 Sluppenvegen 14 38
- Summer UTS School exam 100/100 H INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"