Background and activities
Working at NTNU / NTH since 1985, Professor of Geological Engineering since 1992. Visiting Professor at Colorado School of Mines 1991-92 and 1998-99. Current projects and applied resesearch mainly connected to:
- Investigation,stability and support of rock tunnels, particularly subsea
- Rock slope stability
- Engineering geological aspects of TBM excavation
- Engineering geological aspects of hydropower projects
TGB4185 Engineering geology BC (part of course)
TGB4190 Engineering geology of rocks AC (coordinator)
TGB5110 Engineering geology and tunnelling (part of course)
TGB5100 Rock engineering (coordinator)
TGB4575 Engineering geology, Specialization topic (part of course)
TGB4500 Engineering geology (coordinator)
GB8303 Stability of rock slopes (PhD-course)
GB6001 Engineering geology for construction and site managers (continuing education course)
2014- Are Håvard Høien: Applicability of reinforced ribs od sprayed concrete in poor quality, swelling rock mass
2011- Karl Gunnar Holter: Waterproof tunnel lining with sprayed concrete and bonded membrane in hard rock and cold climate
2011- Øyvind Dammyr: The use of TBM in future Norwegian infrastructure projects
completed last ~5 years:
2014 Martina Böhme: Spatial and temporal variability of rock slope instability in western Norway
2012 Dawei Mao: Analysis of rock support performance for tunnelling in weakness zones containing swelling clay
2010 Guro Grøneng: Stability analyses of the Åknes rock slope, Western Norway
Committee and board participation:
- Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (RMRE, Springer): Member of Editorial Board and regular reviewer
- Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (TUST, Pergamon): Member of Editorial Board
- ITA - International Tunnelling Association: Norwegian representative of WG9 Seismic effects
- ITA World Tunnel Congress 2017: Chairman of Scientific Committee
- NFR/BIA-projekt DePOPS: member of steering committee
Participation in expert panels / reference groups:
- Rogfast subsea road tunnel (evaluation of investigations and design, SVV)
- Holmestrand underground railway station (evaluation during design and construction, JBV)
- Tellnes open pit mine (stability evaluation, Titania)
- LKAB Sweden, evaluation of surface deformation and stability issues related to underground mining
- Karmsund subsea tunnel (stability evaluations during design and contruction)
- Atlanterhavs tunnel (evaluation after subsea cave-in)
- High speed railway in Norway (feasibility evaluation)
- Large, underground hydropower projects in China (Xiangjiaba, Baihetan, Nuozhadu - quality control during construction)
- Løsberga (stability evaluation after slide in high road cut)
- Hanekleiv tunnel (evaluation after cave-in)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Why did the 1756 Tjellefonna rockslide occur? A back-analysis of the largest historic rockslide in Norway. Geomorphology.
- (2016) Rock slope stability analysis according to Eurocode 7, discussion of some dilemmas with particular focus on limit equilibrium analysis. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment.
- (2015) Main challenges for deep subsea tunnels based on Norwegian experience. journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association. vol. 17 (5).
- (2014) Possible Concepts for Waterproofing of Norwegian TBM Railway Tunnels. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Significance of geological parameters for predicting water inflow in hard rock tunnels. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Rock mass Grouting in the Løren tunnel: Case study with the main focus on the groutability and feasibility of drill parameter interpretation. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Challenges of rock slope stability analysis according to Eurocode 7, with particular emphasis on limit equilibrium analysis. NGU-rapport.
- (2014) Characteristics of Water Ingress in Norwegian Subsea Tunnels. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 47 (3).
- (2014) Back-analysis of the 1756 Tjellefonna rockslide (western Norway). NGU-rapport.
- (2013) Analyzing complex rock slope deformation at Stampa, western Norway, by integrating geomorphology, kinematics and numerical modeling. Engineering Geology. vol. 154.
- (2012) Classifications of properties influencing the drillability of rocks, based on the NTNU/SINTEF test method. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. vol. 28 (March).
- (2012) Numerical analysis of rock fall at Hanekleiv road tunnel. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 71 (4).
- (2011) Meterological effects on seasonal displacements of the Åknes rockslide, western Norway. Landslides : Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides. vol. 8 (1).
- (2011) Analysis of loading effects on reinforced shotcrete ribs caused by weakness zone containing swelling clay. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. vol. 26 (3).
- (2011) Cases of instability caused by weakness zones in Norwegian tunnels. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 70 (1).
- (2010) Trademarking the NTNU/SINTEF drillability test indices. Tunnels and Tunnelling. vol. June.
- (2010) Predicting excavation methods and rock support: a case study from the Himalayan region of India. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 69 (2).
- (2010) Modelling of time-dependent behavior of the basal sliding surface of the Aknes rockslide area in western Norway. Engineering Geology. vol. 114 (3-4).
- (2010) Uncertainty Analysis for Assessing Leakage Through Water Tunnels: A Case from Nepal Himalaya. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 43 (5).
- (2009) Shear strength estimation for Aknes sliding area in western Norway. International Journal of Rock Mechanics And Mining Sciences. vol. 46 (3).