Background and activities
Edd Blekkan is professor specializing in catalysis, and has been the head of the Department of Chemical Engineering at NTNU since August 2013.
Edd Blekkan has an MSc in Industrial chemistry, NTH 1981, and a Dr.-ing.-degree in Industrial chemistry, from NTH in 1985.
- Head of department, Dep. of Chemical Engineering, NTNU (2013-) Professor Industrial Chemistry, Chemical Engineering NTH/NTNU (1995-)
- Associate professor INdustrial chmistry NTH (1988-1995)
- Advisor to SINTEF (1988-2013)
- Visiting professor, Univ. of Cambridge (2010)
- Visiting professor, University of Cardiff (2005)
- Visiting researcher, Statoil (Trondheim) and Borealis (Porsgrunn) (2000)
- Head of Department, Department of Industrial Chemistry, NTNU (1998)
- Deputy Head, Department of Industrial Chemistry, NTNU/NTH (1991- 1997)
- Visiting professor, Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France (1992-93)
- Research Scientist, SINTEF Applied Chemistry, Trondheim, Norway (1982-1984 and 1987-88)
- Postdoc, University of Reading, UK (1986)
- Research fellow, NTH, Dep. of Industrial Chemistry (1985)
- Elected Member, Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA)
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Natural gas conversion
- Oil refining
- Biofuels and biorefineries
- Process technology.
Teaching and Supervision
- Teacher at all levels in Chemical Engineering (Introduction to Chemical Engineering (year 1-3), specialist courses in Chemical Engineering and catalysis/Petrochemistry and Gas Conversion (year 4-5) as well as PhD-level courses in Heterogeneous Catalysis, and project based education.
- Supervisor and co-supervisor for about 20 Dr.-Ing./PhD-students, 50 diploma-students (MSc thesis) and 100+ project students.
- Award for teaching excellence (NTNU NT-faculty, 2009).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Potassium adsorption behavior on hcp cobalt as model systems for the Fischer–Tropsch synthesis: a density functional theory study. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 19.
- (2017) Performance of Mn-based H2S sorbents in dry, reducing atmosphere – Manganese oxide support effects. Fuel. vol. 196.
- (2016) Carbon number dependence of reaction mechanism and kinetics in CO hydrogenation on a Co-based catalyst. ACS Catalysis. vol. 6 (10).
- (2015) On the initial deactivation of MnxOy-Al2O3 sorbents for high temperature removal of H2S from producer gas. Fuel processing technology. vol. 133.
- (2015) The Role of Carbon Support for Propane Dehydrogenation Over Platinum Catalysts. Topics in catalysis. vol. 58.
- (2014) Catalytic hydrodeoxygenation (HDO) of phenol over supported molybdenum carbide, nitride, phosphide and oxide catalysts. Catalysis Today. vol. 223 (March).
- (2014) Potential for metal-carbide, -nitride, and -phosphide as future hydrotreating (HT) catalysts for processing of bio-oils. ACS Catalysis. vol. 26.
- (2014) Microcalorimetric studies on Co–Re/γ-Al2O3 catalysts with Na impurities for Fischer–Tropsch synthesis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 53 (5).
- (2013) Fischer-Tropsch conversion of biomass-derived synthesis gas to liquid fuels. Energy and Environment. vol. 2 (5).
- (2013) Microcalorimetric studies of H-2 and CO on Co/gamma-Al2O3 catalysts for Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. Catalysis Today. vol. 214.
- (2011) Effect of water on the space-time yield of different supported cobalt catalysts during Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 393 (1-2).
- (2011) Reforming of Syngas from Biomass Gasification: Deactivation by Tar and Potassium Species. Topics in catalysis. vol. 54 (13-15).
- (2010) Towards efficient hydrogen production from glycerol by sorption enhanced steam reforming. Energy & Environmental Science. vol. 3 (8).
- (2010) On the selectivity of cobalt-based Fischer-Tropsch catalysts: Evidence for a common precursor for methane and long-chain hydrocarbons. Journal of Catalysis. vol. 274 (1).
- (2008) V2O5-SiO2 systems prepared by flame pyrolysis as catalysts for the oxidative dehydrogenation of propane. Journal of Catalysis. vol. 256.
- (2008) Hydrodesulfurization of thiophene on carbon nanofiber supported Co/Ni/Mo catalysts. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. vol. 84 (3-4).
- (2007) Hydrogen from methanol steam-reforming over Cu-based catalysts with and without Pd promotion. International journal of hydrogen energy. vol. 32.
- (2006) Isomerisation of n-hexane over sulphated zirconia modified by noble metals. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 299.
Part of book/report
- (2007) Fischer-Tropsh synthesis on cobalt catalysts: the effect of water. Catalysis.