Postal addressDepartment of Art and Media Studies Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Ellen Foyn Bruun
- Theatre studies
- Applied drama
- Voice work
Background and activities
Multilayered processes and encounters are basic focus in my praxis whether I work in educational, therapeutic or artistic contexts. As practitioner-researcher I am interested in the performative human body as creative agent in and as part of the world. For many years I worked as a stage director before I trained as a dramatherapist. My teaching encompasses theatre production, dramaturgy, educational and therapeutic drama and theatre in multiple contexts.
My research interest is mainly practice-based and basic research exploring methods and onto-epistemic dilemmas in arts' practice. I am part of the focus area Arts based Research and contribute to defining the practical-theoretical profile in Drama and Theatre Studies at NTNU. One of my research interest is voice work that has been developed since 2009 with the project The Role of the Voice with co-researcher David Keir Wright. This work is informed by my own teacher training certification in Fitzmaurice Voicework 2013-2014 at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London. As practitioner-researcher I am involved in several international net-works exploring health-promoting artistic praxis through my qualification as dramatherapist, Sesame Institute UK and International and The British Association of Dramatherapists. from 2014 I am also part of the NTNU health focus area HEVET and developing further healthpromoting arts practice, such as drama and movement therapy.
International project: Staging Myself
This project initiated in 2010 is a collaboration between Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock, Kunsthochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig and NTNU. The project investigates transcultural drama research as embodied practice of democracy. A practice-based laboratory with lectureres/researchers and students was organized in 2012 that was presented as a multimedial paper-performance-event in Paris 2013 at the IDEA congress, International Drama and Theatre in Education Association. From 2014 the project will be part of the national research project on Drama and Democracy with particular focus on transculturalism and empathy.
Access article: Dramatherapy with homeless clients: the necessary theatre.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Diversity on the Norwegian Stage: Whose Story is it Anyway?. Nordic Theatre Studies. volum 25.
- (2013) Fortellerteater: mellom sårbarhet og styrke. DRAMA : Nordisk dramapedagogisk tidsskrift. volum 02.
- (2012) Dramatherapy with homeless clients: the necessary theatre. Dramatherapy. volum 34 (3).
- (2012) Voicework in Music Therapy Research and Practice, Edited by Felicity Baker and Sylka Uhlig. Dramatherapy. volum 35 (1).
- (2011) The Intelligence of Feeling and Heart Intelligence: Are These Useful Terms for The Sesame Approach of Dramatherapy?. Sesame Journal.
- (2009) The Quest for the Heart-Shaped Diamonds: Dilemmas Arising from Teaching Drama as Therapy. Dramatherapy. volum 30 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Drama, Heart and Soul: Understanding the Relationship between the Unique Inner Voice, Heart Intelligence and the Intelligence of Feeling. Arts Therapies and the Intelligence of Feeling.
- (2011) Es war einmal - Ich war nicht allein. Theater mit mir?! : "der geschützte Raum" : eine Konferenzdokumentation.
- (2013) Staging Myself - lecture-performance. from one world to another: arts education for tomorrow [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . IDEA International drama/theater and education association; Paris. 2013-08-08 - 2013-08-13.
- (2013) Silent O Moyle be the Roar of thy Water: Exploring Hope in our Time. Renewal, Restoration & Revenge: Working with Change in Dramatherapy . The British Association of Dramatherapists; Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. 2013-09-07 - 2013-09-09.
- (2012) Forskningsperspektiver på P:UNKT prosjektet, Akershus Teater. Krumkake og Khebab - konferanse om P:UNKT prosjektet, mangfold i norsk scenekunst . Akershus Teater; Lillestrøm kulturhus, Lillestrøm. 2012-11-19 - 2012-11-19.
- (2012) Transparency and the invisible network. The Autumn Camp, international theatre meeting for Theaterpädagogik/Applied Theatre . Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock; Rostock. 2012-10-18 - 2012-10-21.
- (2012) Nora's Men: A Dramatherapy Encounter with Henrik Ibsen's Play A Doll's House. Dramatherapy and Script - exploring texts [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . British Association of Dramatherapists; University of Hull Scarborough Campus. 2012-09-08 - 2012-09-10.
- (2011) Children's Healthy Self-Regulation Through Play, Drama and Theatre. Theatre as a Setting for Health Promotion among Children . Steno Health Promotion Center; Vallekilde Højskole, Hørve. 2011-12-01 - 2011-12-02.
- (2009) Dramatherapy in Education: Once upon a Time I was not alone. Theater? Mit Mir? Internationale Konferenz Drama in Education for Children and Adolescents as Risk, Rostock, Tyskland . Hochschule für Musik und Theater; Beim St.-Katharinenstift 8, 18055 Rostock, Tyskland. 2009-05-07 - 2009-05-10.