Background and activities
My main job is Special Advisor at the Norwegian TSO Statnett, but I also have a part time professor position at NTNU
Chair of 2011 IEEE PES PowerTech Trondheim
Fields of interest:
- Investment in generation capacity
- Market design
- Generation expansion planning, including integration of renewable energy
- Generation scheduling in hydro-thermal power systems
- Power system balancing
- Demand elasticity
- Use of optimization techniques in power systems
- Balance Management in International Power Markets
- GRID - ICT Vulnerabilities of Power Systems
- The need for new generation capacity in Northern Europe
- The consequences of climate change for the Electricity System in the Nordic countries
- Vulnerability Study of the Nordic Power System
- Competence Building – Capacity Shortage
- Peaking Capacity in Restructured Power Systems (PhD thesis)
Teaching and Supervision:
- IEEE Transactions on Power Systems
- Energy Policy
- IET Renewable Power Generation
- International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems
- European Transactions on Electrical Power
- Renewable Energy
- International Transactions Electrical Energy Systems
Member of professional organizations:
- Senior Member of IEEE Power and Energy Society
- International Association of Energy Economics (IAEE)
- Member of CIGRE Study Commitee C5, Electricity Markets and Regulation
- The Norwegian Society of Graduate Technical and Scientific Professionals (Tekna)
- Norsk Elektroteknisk Forening (NEF)
- Member of IEEE PowerTech International Steering Committee
- Chair of IEEE Power and Energy, Norway Chapter
- Member of the board of IAEE Norway
Occasionally I have been engaged in internationaø power system planning projects.
- 1997-98: Power System Master Plan Nepal
- 2000: Feasibility Study of the Electrical Interconnection between Venezuela and Columbia:
- 2001-02: Indicative Master Plan on Power Interconnection in GMS countries
- 2004: Feasibility Study of the Upper Tama Koshi Hydro Power Project (Nepal
- 2008-09: Generation Master Plan for the Mozambican Power Sector
- 2010-11: Mozambique Backbone Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) The impact of Zero Energy Buildings on the Scandinavian energy system. Energy. vol. 118.
- (2016) Stabilising system frequency using HVDC between the Continental European, Nordic, and Great Britain systems. Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks. vol. 5.
- (2016) Economic Analysis of Large-Scale Pumped Storage Plants in Norway. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Classification of balancing markets based on different activation philosophies: Proactive and reactive designs. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2016-July.
- (2016) Joint Modelling of Wind Power and Hydro Inflow for Power System Scheduling. Energy Procedia. vol. 87.
- (2016) Methodology for optimal energy system design of Zero Energy Buildings using mixed-integer linear programming. Energy and Buildings. vol. 127.
- (2016) Large scale introduction of Zero Energy Buildings in the Nordic power system. International Conference on the European Energy Market. vol. 2016-July.
- (2016) Cost-optimal energy system design in Zero Energy Buildings with resulting grid impact: A case study of a German multi-family house. Energy and Buildings. vol. 127.
- (2015) Reserve procurement and transmission capacity reservation in the Northern European power market. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 67.
- (2014) Optimal investment timing and capacity choice for pumped hydropower storage. Energy Systems, Springer Verlag. vol. 5 (2).
- (2014) The north European power system dispatch in 2010 and 2020. Energy Systems, Springer Verlag. vol. 5 (1).
- (2013) The economic impacts of a submarine HVDC interconnection between Norway and Great Britain. Energy Policy. vol. 60.
- (2013) An analysis of design options for markets for cross-border balancing of electricity. Utilities Policy. vol. 27 (December).
- (2012) Balancing Market Integration in the Northern European Continent: A 2030 Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) The effect of large scale wind power on system balancing in Northern Europe. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) Balancing market integration in the Northern European continent. Applied Energy. vol. 96.
- (2012) Assessing the benefits of regulating power market integration in Northern Europe. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems. vol. 43 (1).
- (2011) Evaluating demand side measures in simulation models for the power market. Electric power systems research. vol. 81 (3).
- (2010) Flow Based Activation of Reserves in the Nordic Power System. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting.
- (2010) Modelling An Integrated Northern European Regulating Power Market Based On A Common Day-Ahead Market. IAEE International Conference.