Background and activities
I am interested in experimental phonetics and speech technology. I work in both basic and applied research. In recent years, I have been the project leader of a cross-disciplinary project on pronunciation training in several Norwegian dialects: Computer-Assisted Listening and Speaking Tutor. The selection of exercises in this system depends on the user's native language. The platform itself is multilingual, and the project is now developing a commercial spin-off under the name Sounds Good.The commercial platform will also have British English as a target language. The platform is also used to collect user data which can be utilized for phonetic-linguistic analysis, and we hope that we can contribute to developing of new knowledge about foreign language acquisition. You can find more information, also about previous research topics, on my personal homepage.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Consonant clusters in online L2 teaching: a multilingual approach. The Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Proceedings. vol. 6.
- (2013) The Bulgarian Stressed and Unstressed Vowel System. A Corpus Study. Interspeech.
- (2012) How linguistic and probabilistic properties of a word affect the realization of its final /t/: Studies at the phonemic and sub-phonemic level. Journal of Phonetics. vol. 40 (4).
- (2011) Contrastive analysis through L1-L2map. TMH-QPSR. vol. 51.
- (2010) Predicting human perception and ASR classification of word-final [t] by its acoustic sub-segmental properties. Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing.
- (2009) Do Rhythm Measures Reflect Perceived Rhythm?. Phonetica. vol. 66 (1-2).
- (2009) Word-final [t]-deletion: An analysis on the segmental and sub-segmental level. Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing.
- (2007) Global features for rapid identity verification with dynamic biometric data. Proceedings of the International Conference on Spoken Language Processing.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Selective teaching of L2 pronunciation. Critical CALL. Proceedings of the 2015 EUROCALL Conference, Padova, Italy..
- (2015) L1-L2map: una base de datos fónica para la enseñanza de la pronunciación de segundas lenguas. Perspectivas actuales en el análisis fónico del habla. Tradición y avances en la fonética experimental.
- (2014) A cross-language corpus for studying the phonetics and phonology of prominence. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'14).
- (2014) Local and global acoustic correlates of information structure in Bulgarian. Speech Prosody 7.
- (2013) Eyebrow movements in prosody. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIth Conference, Tartu 2012.
- (2013) Prosodic Effects of Implicit Causality in German and Norwegian?. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIth Conference, Tartu 2012.
- (2011) L1-L2map: a tool for multi-lingual contrastive analysis. Proceedings from The 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.
- (2009) Cross-language differences in the production of phrasal prominence in Norwegian and German. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the Xth Conference, Helsinki 2008.
- (2008) The status of vowel devoicing in Bulgarian: phonetic or phonological?. Formal Description of Slavic Languages.
- (2008) Accentuation cues in French and German. Proceedings of the Speech Prosody 2008 Conference.
- (2008) Preaspiration and perceived vowel duration in Norwegian. Proceedings FONETIK 2008, The XXIst Swedish Phonetics Conference, June 11-13, 2008.
- (2007) Speaker consistency of coarticulatory gestures in clusters of labial and velar plosives. Proceedings from the 16th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.