Background and activities
I work with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) particularly for studies on the effects of climate change and disaggregated studies on civil armed conflicts.
I was appointed Professor at the Department of Geography in 2013. I teach and supervise students in Geographic Information Systems and Science (GIS & S) and Effects of Climate Change. My research is broadly in applying GIS addressing issues related to climate change adaptation, vulnerability, environmental hazards, disaggregated studies of armed conflicts, urban planning and geographic education.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Decision support for adaptive action - assessing the potential of geographic visualization. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. vol. 58 (12).
- (2015) Ethnonationalism in post-war Bosnia-Herzegovina and Kosovo The effects of local violence and ethnic composition. International Area Studies Review. vol. 18 (1).
- (2015) Facilitating climate change adaptation through communication: Insights from the development of a visualization tool. Energy Research & Social Science. vol. 10.
- (2015) An attraction-based cellular automaton model for generating spatiotemporal population maps in urban areas. Environment and Planning, B: Planning and Design.
- (2015) Climate change, natural hazards, and risk perception: the role of proximity and personal experience. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 20 (4).
- (2015) Three core activities toward a relevant Integrated vulnerability assessment: validate, visualize, and negotiate. Journal of Risk Research. vol. 18 (7).
- (2014) Transboundary conservation and militarized interstate disputes. Political Geography. vol. 42.
- (2014) Do choropleth maps linked with parallel coordinates facilitate an understanding of multivariate spatial characteristics?. Cartography and Geographic Information Science. vol. 41 (5).
- (2013) Cartographic Visualization of Vulnerability to Natural Hazards. Cartographica. vol. 48 (2).
- (2013) Trondscan: Befolkningsrutenett for Trondheim disaggregert fra grunnkretsdata. Trondscan: Befolkningsrutenett for Trondheim disaggregert fra grunnkretsdata. Kart og Plan. vol. 73 (3).
- (2012) International Borders and Conflict Revisited. Conflict Management and Peace Science. vol. 29 (2).
- (2012) Hvordan øke læringsutbyttet fra forelesninger med begrensede ressurser?. UNIPED (Tromsø). vol. 35 (3).
- (2012) Integrated vulnerability mapping for wards in Mid-Norway. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 17 (6-7).
- (2011) Land use and land cover change detection in the western Nile delta of Egypt using remote sensing data. Applied Geography. vol. 31 (2).
- (2011) Social vulnerability assessment for Norway: A quantitative approach. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 65 (1).
- (2010) A Developed GIS-based Land Evaluation Model for Agricultural Land Suitability Assessments in Arid and Semi Arid Regions. A Developed GIS-based Land Evaluation Model for Agricultural Land Suitability Assessments in Arid and Semi Arid Regions. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. vol. 6 (5).
- (2010) Assessment based on exercise work and multiple-choice tests. Journal of geography in higher education (Print). vol. 34 (1).
- (2010) Learning geography with GIS: Integrating GIS into upper secondary school geography curricula. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 64 (1).
- (2010) Representing Ethnic Groups in Space: A New Dataset. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 47 (4).
- (2009) Ethno-Nationalist Dyads and Civil War: A GIS-Based Analysis. Journal of Conflict Resolution. vol. 53 (4).