Postal addressDepartment of Geography Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Jan Ketil Rød
- Human geography
- Slope instability
- Disciplinary didaktik
- Climate change
- Climate change effects
- Internal armed conflicts
- Peace and Conflict studies
- Natural catastrophes
- Social vulnerability
Background and activities
I work with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) particularly for studies on the effects of climate change and disaggregated studies on civil armed conflicts.
I was appointed Associate Professor at the Department of Geography in 2004. I teach and supervise students in Geographic Information Systems and Science (GIS & S) and Effects of Climate Change. My research is broadly in applying GIS addressing issues related to climate change adaptation, vulnerability, environmental hazards, disaggregated studies of armed conflicts, urban planning and geographic education.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Climate change, natural hazards, and risk perception: the role of proximity and personal experience. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. volum 19.
- (2014) Three core activities toward a relevant Integrated vulnerability assessment: validate, visualize, and negotiate. Journal of Risk Research.
- (2013) Cartographic Visualization of Vulnerability to Natural Hazards. Cartographica. volum 48 (2).
- (2013) Trondscan: Befolkningsrutenett for Trondheim disaggregert fra grunnkretsdata. Kart og Plan. volum 73 (3).
- (2012) International Borders and Conflict Revisited. Conflict Management and Peace Science. volum 29 (2).
- (2012) Hvordan øke læringsutbyttet fra forelesninger med begrensede ressurser?. UNIPED (Tromsø). volum 35 (3).
- (2012) Integrated vulnerability mapping for wards in Mid-Norway. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. volum 17 (6-7).
- (2011) Land use and land cover change detection in the western Nile delta of Egypt using remote sensing data. Applied Geography. volum 31 (2).
- (2011) Social vulnerability assessment for Norway: A quantitative approach. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 65 (1).
- (2010) A Developed GIS-based Land Evaluation Model for Agricultural Land Suitability Assessments in Arid and Semi Arid Regions. Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. volum 6 (5).
- (2010) Assessment based on exercise work and multiple-choice tests. Journal of geography in higher education (Print). volum 34 (1).
- (2010) Learning geography with GIS: Integrating GIS into upper secondary school geography curricula. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 64 (1).
- (2010) Representing Ethnic Groups in Space: A New Dataset. Journal of Peace Research. volum 47 (4).
- (2009) Ethno-Nationalist Dyads and Civil War: A GIS-Based Analysis. Journal of Conflict Resolution. volum 53 (4).
- (2009) A social vulnerability index for Norway: A viable approach in analyses of social consequences of climate change?. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environment. volum 6.
- (2009) A conceptual model of the geography of social vulnerability, environmental hazards and climate change. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environment. volum 6.
- (2009) Visibility and Dominance Analysis: Assessing a High Building Project in Trondheim. Environment and Planning, B: Planning and Design. volum 36 (4).
- (2009) Regional Inequalities and Civil Conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa. International Studies Quarterly. volum 53 (2).
- (2008) Disaggregating Ethno-Nationalist Civil Wars: A Dyadic Test of Exclusion Theory. International Organization. volum 62 (3).
- (2008) Foliage and Fighting: Forest resources and the onset, duration, and location of civil war. Political Geography. volum 27 (7).