Postal addressDepartment of Biology Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
- Genetic and biological time series in one natural population
- Selection, genetic adaptation and evolution
- Fish- and fisheries biology; physiology, migrations
- Genetic population structure of fish in the North Atlantic
Background and activities
Applied population genetics and fisheries biology studies for the identification, description and delineation of stocks of commercially important marine fish species in the Atlantic. Tools are electrophoretic markers (blood proteins, isozymes and DNA), tagging/recapture experiments and transplantation experiments. Putative stocks are described with respect to individual growth rates, gonad maturation dynamics, stock recruitment, stock size estimates and relative year-class strengths. Numeric computer simulations of evolutionary processes, including genome-milieu interactions (natural selection) are utilised for combining genetic, biological and physical variables. Study materials include an extensive time series (~35 years, or 9 consecutive cod generations) of samples of the Trondheimsfjord cod stock, a geographic collection covering most of the Norwegian coast for cod and five other gadoid species, and a distributionwide collection of cod, blue whiting, hake and poor cod samples in the North Atlantic.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Something fishy: Assessing stakeholder resilience to increasing jellyfish (Periphylla periphylla) in Trondheimsfjord, Norway. Marine Policy. volum 46.
- (2013) Haemoglobin genotypes in cod (Gadus morhua L): Their geographic distribution and physiological significance. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A. volum 166 (1).
- (2012) Mitochondrial DNA differentiation between the antitropical blue whiting species Micromesistius poutassou and Micromesistius australis. Journal of Fish Biology. volum 81 (1).
- (2012) Precision-cut liver slices to investigate responsiveness of deep-sea fish to contaminants at high pressure. Environmental Science and Technology. volum 46 (18).
- (2012) Extent and ecological importance of escape through spawning in sea-cages for Atlantic cod. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. volum 3 (1).
- (2011) Vilhelm Storm. Bidrag til Kundskab om Trondhjemfjordens Fauna I. DKNVS Skrifter 1878. Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskabs Skrifter.
- (2011) Discrimination of wild and farmed Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) based on morphology and scale-circuli pattern. ICES Journal of Marine Science. volum 68 (9).
- (2010) Venom on ice: First insights into Antarctic octopus venoms. Toxicon. volum 56 (6).
- (2008) Evidence for population structuring of blue whiting (Micromesistius poutassou) in the Northeast Atlantic. ICES Journal of Marine Science. volum 65.
- (2005) Deviation from Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, and temporal instability in allele frequencies at microsatellite loci in a local population of Atlantic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science. volum 62.
- (2005) Genetic differentiation of blue whiting (Micromesistius poutassou Risso) populations at the extremes of the species range and at the Hebrides-Porcupine Bank spawning grounds. ICES Journal of Marine Science. volum 62.
- (2004) Tissue enzyme loci for routine genotyping in Norway pout (Trisopterus esmarkii Nilsson, 1855): electrophoresis conditions, tissue manifestations,allele designations and basic population genetic parameters. Sarsia. volum 89 (6).
- (2004) Varne R, Mork J (2004) Blue whiting (Micromesistius poutassou) stock components in samples from the northern Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea, winter 2002. ICES C.M. 2004/EE:16. ICES Journal of Marine Science. volum C.M. 2004 (EE:16).
- (2004) Tissue enzyme loci for routine genotyping in Norway pout (Trisopterus esmarkii Nilsson, 1855): electrophoresis conditions, tissue manifestations, allele designations and basic population genetic parameters. Sarsia. volum 89 (6).
- (2003) Selection-induced variation at the Pantophysin locus (Panl) in a Norwegian fjord population of cod (Gadus morhua L.). Molecular Ecology. volum 12.
- (2003) Eastern and western poor cod (Trisopterus minutus capelanus) populations in the Mediterranean Sea: Evidence from allozyme and minisatellite loci. Marine Ecology. volum 24 (4).
- (2003) Spatial Structure in Length at Age of Cod in the Barents Sea. Journal of Fish Biology. volum 62.
- (2002) VNTR variability in Atlantic poor cod (Trisopterus minutus minutus) throughout its range: single locus minisatellite data suggest reproductive isolation for the Faroe Bank population. Fisheries Research.
- (2002) Genetic differentiation between the New Zealand and Falkland Islands populations of southern blue whiting Micromesistius australis. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. volum 36 (3).
- (2001) Evidence of natural selection at the Synaptophysin locus (SypI) in a natural population of cod (Gadus morhua L.). ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Sea).