Background and activities
Knut Samset is Professor of Project Management at the Faculty of Engineering Science and Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway www.ntnu.no . He is the director of the Concept Research Programme on Front-end Management of Large Investment Projects www.ntnu.no/concept, and founding director and senior partner of Scanteam www.scanteam.no , an international consultancy based in Oslo.
He has extensive experience as researcher and advisor to national and international organisations in the fields of risk management, appraisal, planning and evaluation of investment cases, projects and programmes. He has provided technical assistance, to governments in many countries, and undertaken studies and evaluations on behalf of the governments of the Nordic countries and Japan, UN agencies, OECD, The World Bank, and several nongovernmental organisations. He is presently teaching Master’s and PhD level courses on Front-end management of projects, Project planning, evaluation, and Qualitative research methodology. His current research is on project governance, front-end planning and decision making, and appraisal and quality assurance of major investments. He has published a large number of research reports and papers and is the author of several books on technology assessment, project design, evaluation and front-end management of projects
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Systems Engineering in Front-End Governance of Major Public Investment Projects. Systems. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Ex Ante Project Evaluation and the Complexity of Early Decision-Making. Public Organization Review. vol. 17 (1).
- (2017) Statlige investeringstiltak under lupen. Erfaring med evalueringer av de 20 første KS-prosjektene. Concept rapport.
- (2017) Governance of Major Public Investment Projects: Principles and Practices in Six Coutries. Project Management Journal. vol. 48 (3).
- (2016) Low estimates – high stakes: underestimation of costs at the front-end of projects. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 9 (1).
- (2015) Front-end definition of projects: Ten paradoxes and some reflections regarding project management and project governance. International Journal of Project Management. vol. 34 (2).
- (2014) To Which Extent Do Projects Explore the Opportunity Space? A study of conceptual appraisals and the choice of conceptual solutions. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. vol. 7 (3).
- (2014) Front end Governance of Major Public Projects - Lessons with a Norwegian Quality Assurance Scheme. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction. vol. 3 (2).
- (2013) Små ideer og store prosjekter. Linesøya fastlandsforbindelse - samfunnsnytten som forsvant. en øvelse i samfunnsøkonomisk lønnsomhetsvurdering. Prosjektledelse.
- (2011) Strategy Making with an Alphabet Soup of Objectives. Project Management. vol. XXXII.
- (2010) Kostnadsoverskridelser over og under teppet. Et spørsmål om god styring eller dårlige valg. Prosjektledelse.
- (2010) Issues in Front-End Decision Making on Projects. Project Management Journal. vol. 41 (2).
- (2008) Hvor skal vi? Jeg vet ikke, sa Ole Brumm. Og så gikk de dit. Om prosjekter med og uten mål og mening. Prosjektledelse.
- (2008) Making large decisions when little information exists. Projektitoiminta. vol. 29 (1).
- (2007) God dag mann hostesaft. Kvalitativ informasjon og misforståelser som beslutningsunderlag i prosjekter. Logikk, semantikk og presisjon. Prosjektledelse.
- (2007) Making large decisions when little information exists. Projektitoiminta.
- (2004) Ensuring Quality-at-entry: Challenges in Front-end Management. Projektitoiminta. vol. 27 (1).
- (1999) Square Pegs and Round Holes: Evaluation, Uncertainty and Risk Management. Evaluation: International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice.
- (1999) Uncertainty in Development Projects. Revue canadienne d'études du développement / Canadian Journal of Development Studies. vol. XX (No 2).
- (1997) Uncertainty in Decision Making. Factors and Strategies Affecting Uncertainty in Planning and Management of Projects. Revue canadienne d'études du développement / Canadian Journal of Development Studies.