Background and activities
Associate Professor in Contemporary European History
My research focuses on contemporary European history with an emphasis on economic and political integration in Europe after World War II and Norway’s relations with the EU. In my doctoral thesis (2004), I investigated the French demands for social harmonization in the EEC in the period of 1955-66. Since then, I have investigated European integration from different perspectives, informed by rationalist and constructivist perspectives. The common denominator of my research is the wish to understand why supranational integration occurs, how the EU works, and why Norway and the other EFTA countries remain outsiders to the process of political integration in Europe. Since 2004, I am a member of faculty at the NTNU programme in European studies where I teach the history of European integration and Norway's relations with the EU. I supervise students on all levels. In the period 2010-2012, I formed part of the EEA Review Committee - a broad-based independent committee of twelve researchers appointed by the Norwegian Government to review Norway's agreements with the EU. In my ongoing research, I investigate the gradually more comprehensive economic integration that emerged between EFTA and the EC from the entry of the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1995 enlargement of the European Union.
- EFTA-EU relations
- The history of European integration
- Norway's relations with the EU
- International organisations
- EUR 3409 Norge og EU etter 1994 (MA-level, 7.5 ECTS)
- EUR 2915 History of European integration (BA-level, 7.5 ECTS)
- HIST 1250 Moderne historie etter 1850 (BA-level, 15 ECTS, co-taught)
- HF0010 Introduction to Norwegian history (BA-level, 7.5 ECTS, co-taught)
Economic integration in Western Europe: EFTA-EC relations from 1973 to 1994. Based on primary sources from the EFTA and EC archives, this project analyses the development in EFTA-EC relations as they developed from the 1972/73 free trade agreements to the 1994 European Economic Area. Results from this project are available here:
Distant voices. Ideas of democracy and the Eurozone crisis. This joint research effort, conducted by nine researchers from six countries, investigated the impact of the European crisis on ideas of national and EU democracy in six European countries: Iceland, Portugal, Greece, Hungary, Turkey and Norway. The results appeared in an edited volume, published by Akademika publishing in 2013: https://www.bestselgerklubben.no/_faglitteratur/samfunnskunnskap/distant-voices-9788232103546.
- Head of the NTNU MA programme in European Studies (2009-2013, 2014-2015)
- Head of study programme council, European Studies, NTNU (2009-2011)
- Elected board member, Department of History and Classical Studies, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Member of the Research Council of Norway's reference group Europe in changing world, Horisont 2020 (2015-)
- Member of the Mid-Norway European Office resource group (2012-)
- Member of the EEA Review Committee (2010-2012). The EEA Review Committee was a broad-based independent committee of twelve researchers appointed by the Norwegian Government in 2010 to undertake a thorough, research-based review of the EEA Agreement. The committee submitted its report in 2012: http://www.europautredningen.no/english/
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2015) EFTA's quest for free trade in Western Europe (1960-92): Slow train coming. EFTA Bulletin.
- (2006) Walter Hallstein and the promotion of European union. Historische Mitteilungen der Ranke-Gesellschaft.
- (2002) In Quest of Time, Protection and Approval: France and the Claims for Social Harmonization in the European Economic Community, 1955-56. Journal of European Integration History. vol. 8 (1).
- (1999) The Danish Government's decision to enter the EEC. Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskabs Skrifter.
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-321-0354-6.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Sakskoblinger i EØS-forhandlingene (1990-91). Interessekonflikter i norsk handelspolitikk / Arne Melchior og Ulf Sverdrup (redaktører).
- (2013) Crisis and convergence: Norwegian parliamentary debate on the EU. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2013) Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis: Introduction. Distant Voices. Ideas on democracy and the Eurozone crisis.
- (2012) Historisk utvikling av Norges avtaler med EU. Utenfor og innenfor. Norges avtaler med EU. Utredning fra utvalg oppnevnt av Utenriksdepartementet 7. januar 2010 (Europautredningen). Avgitt til Utenriksdepartementet 17. januar 2012.
- (2011) In Search of Influence. Norway's 1994 Referendum on EU Membership. Ideas of Europe in National Political Discourse.
- (2010) Norway's 1994 Quest for EU Membership. Ideas of National Culture and Europe in Norwegian Political Discourse. National Cultures and Common Identity. A Challenge for Europe?.
- (2008) The Origins of Community information policy: Educating Europeans. The History of the European Union. Origins of a trans- and supranational polity 1950-72.
- (2006) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. Quelle(s) Europe(s)? Nouvelle approches en histoire de l'intégration européenne Which Europe(s)? New Approaches in European Integration History.
- (2004) The Rise and Fall of the French Demand for Social Harmonization in the EEC, 1955-1966. 2004. ISBN 82-7765-051-5.
- (1997) Danish policy towards Western Europe 1957-1963. 1997. Working Paper (16).