Background and activities
My research interests are focused on surface technologies, tribology and tribocorrosion. The main motivation is to perform basic research to understand degradation phenomena involving different types of applications, i.e. oil&Gas industry, drilling and tunneling, biomaterials, sports and renewable energy (wind and solar).
The main focus is on investigating the degradation phenomena of materials exposed to aggressive environments where mechanics and chemistry act simultaneously. Finding new solutions to these materials problems by surface engineering is the ultimate goal of my research. Surface Engineering is a key technology to add functionality to surfaces therefore it is crucial to solve materials problems.
Current and past project topics:
- Tribocorrosion mechanisms in coatings and metals.
- Multidegradation - the interaction of tribocorrosion with fatigue.
- Understanding the Silicon sawing process and new methods for Silicon wafer cutting.
- Coatings and surface treatments for use in tribocorrosive environments.
- New coatings and surface treatments for wear resistant offshore applications.
- Lubricants and lubrication for offshore applications.
- Ski tribology.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) A Tribological Study of UHMWPE Ski Base Treated with Nano Ski Wax and its Effects and Benefits on Performance. Procedia Engineering. volum 72.
- (2014) A new type of self-lubricated thermal spray coatings – liquid lubricants embedded in a metal matrix. Journal of thermal spray technology (Print). volum 24 (1).
- (2014) Influence of Corrosion on the Abrasion of Cutter Steels Used in TBM Tunnelling. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering.
- (2014) Tribological Behaviour of Thermally Sprayed Silicon Carbide Coatings. Tribology International.
- (2014) Tribocorrosion mechanisms of NiCrMo-625 alloy: An electrochemical modeling approach. Tribology International. volum 73.
- (2013) Liquid-Solid Self-Lubricated Coatings. Journal of thermal spray technology (Print). volum 22 (1).
- (2013) Tribocorrosion of Pulsed Plasma-Nitrided CoCrMo Implant Alloy. Tribology letter. volum 49 (1).
- (2013) Bulk Metallic Glasses (BMG) for biomedical applications – a tribocorrosion investigation of Zr55Cu30Ni5Al10 in simulated body fluid. Wear. volum 301 (1-2).
- (2013) A new experimental technique for quantifying the galvanic coupling effects on stainless steel during tribocorrosion under equilibrium conditions. Wear. volum 307 (1-2).
- (2013) The wear and lubrication performance of liquid–solid self-lubricated coatings. Surface & Coatings Technology. volum 235.
- (2013) Thermally Sprayed SiC Coatings for Offshore Wind Turbine Bearing Applications. Journal of thermal spray technology (Print). volum 22 (8).
- (2012) Multi-degradation behavior of austenitic and super duplex stainless steel - The effect of 4-point static and cyclic bending applied to a simulated seawater tribocorrosion system. Wear. volum 288.
- (2011) Sealing HVOF Thermally Sprayed WC-CoCr Coatings by Sol-Gel Methods. Journal of thermal spray technology (Print). volum 20 (4).
- (2011) Dry wear and tribocorrosion mechanisms of pulsed plasma nitrided Ni–Cr alloy. Wear. volum 270 (7-8).
- (2011) Effect of slurry parameters on material removal rate in multi-wire sawing of silicon wafers: a tribological approach. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part J, journal of engineering tribology. volum 225 (J10).
- (2011) A multi-degradation test rig for studying the synergy effects of tribocorrosion interacting with 4-point static and cyclic bending. Wear. volum 271 (11-12).
- (2010) Tribocorrosion behaviour of overlay welded Ni–Cr 625 alloy in sulphuric and nitric acids: Electrochemical and chemical effects. Tribology International. volum 43 (7).
- (2010) Modeling the multi-degradation mechanisms of combined tribocorrosion interacting with static and cyclic loaded surfaces of passive metals exposed to seawater. Wear. volum 269 (7-8).
- (2008) Cr3C2-NiCr and WC-Ni thermal spray coatings as alternatives to hard chromium for erosion-corrosion resistance. Surface & Coatings Technology. volum 202 (8).
Part of book/report
- (2011) Tribocorrosion mechanisms in sliding contacts. Tribocorrosion of passive metals and coatings.