Background and activities
Present position: Professor, MI Lab director
Degrees: MD, PhD [dr. med.]
- 1992. PhD in Medicine [dr. med.], NTNU, Trondheim, Norway. Thesis: “NMR spectroscopy of cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in rat”
- 1984. Medical Doctor, University of Bergen.
2007 - Director of medical imaging centre (SFI) “MI Lab”
1998 - Professor in MR, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
2006 - 07 Dean for research, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU
2005 - 05 Head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
2002 - 05 Vice-head of Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, NTNU
1991 - 97 Research scientist, Sintef, Trondheim, Norway
1988 - 91 Research fellowship, the Research Council of Norway
1985 - 87 Hospital physician, Harstad and Trondheim, Norway
- Research leader, Department of Medical Imaging, St. Olavs Hospital
- Leader of “Norwegian Research School in Medical Imaging” (MedIm).
- Leader of MR Core Facility at NTNU/St. Olavs Hospital
- Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the Preparatory phase of the ESFRI infrastructure “Euro-BioImaging”.
- Norwegian contact person for Medical Imaging in the ESFRI infrastructure EATRIS
- Leader of “Whole animal imaging network” in the national FUGE technology platform in Molecular Imaging (NorMIC)
- NTNU contact person for European Technology Platform in Nanomedicine.
- Member of National User Committee for the PET Centre in Oslo
- Appointed by European Science Foundation to be main author of a Science Policy Briefing on “Medical Imaging for Improved Patient Care” (2007)
Main Research Interest
- Clinical and preclinical application of new functional and molecular MR methods for information about physiology and organ function in brain, heart and cancer research.
- Multi-functional and multi-modal nanoparticles for imaging and image guided drug delivery.
- Image guidance in regenerative medicine.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Loss or mislocalization of aquaporin-4 affects diffusion properties and intermediary metabolism in gray matter of mice. Neurochemical Research. vol. 42 (1).
- (2015) Transverse relaxivity of iron oxide nanocrystals clustered in nanoemulsions: Experiment and theory. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. vol. 74 (3).
- (2015) Aerobic interval training reduces inducible ventricular arrhytmias in diabetic mice after myocardial infarction. Basic Research in Cardiology. vol. 110 (44).
- (2014) Dynamic contrast enhanced MRI detects early response to adoptive NK cellular immunotherapy targeting the NG2 proteoglycan in a rat model of glioblastoma. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (9).
- (2014) Periodicity in tumor vasculature targeting kinetics of ligand-functionalized nanoparticles studied by dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and intravital microscopy. Angiogenesis. vol. 17 (1).
- (2014) Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI Detects Early Response to Adoptive NK Cellular Immunotherapy Targeting the NG2 Proteoglycan in a Rat Model of Glioblastoma. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (9).
- (2013) Late Gadolinium Enhancement in the Assessment of the Infarcted Mouse Heart: A Longitudinal Comparison With Manganese-Enhanced MRI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 38 (6).
- (2012) Evaluation of Intracellular Labeling With Micron-Sized Particles of Iron Oxide (MPIOs) as a General Tool for In Vitro and In Vivo Tracking of Human Stem and Progenitor Cells. Cell Transplantation. vol. 21 (8).
- (2012) The Effect of Nanoparticle Polyethylene Glycol Surface Density on Ligand-Directed Tumor Targeting Studied in Vivo by Dual Modality Imaging. ACS Nano. vol. 6 (6).
- (2012) Assessment of left ventricular function by GPs using pocket-sized ultrasound. Family Practice. vol. 29 (5).
- (2012) Mn-alginate gels as a novel system for controlled release of Mn2+ in manganese-enhanced MRI. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. vol. 7 (2).
- (2012) Labelling of olfactory ensheathing cells with micron-sized particles of iron oxide and detection by MRI. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. vol. 7 (4).
- (2012) In vivo MRI of olfactory ensheathing cell grafts and regenerating axons in transplant mediated repair of the adult rat optic nerve. NMR in Biomedicine. vol. 25 (4).
- (2012) Entorhinal cortical thinning affects perceptual and cognitive functions in adolescents born preterm with very low birth weight (VLBW). Early Human Development. vol. 88 (2).
- (2011) DynaCT in Pre-treatment Evaluation of Aortic Aneurysm before EVAR. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. vol. 42 (3).
- (2011) Visual function and white matter microstructure in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) adolescents - A DTI study. Vision Research. vol. 51 (18).
- (2011) Non-expert assessment of left ventricular systolic function using pocket-sized ultrasound. European Journal of Echocardiography. vol. 12.
- (2010) Non-expert assessment of left ventricular global contractility using pocket sized ultrasound machines. MITAT. Minimally invasive therapy & allied technologies. vol. 19.
- (2010) Intravital microscopy in window chambers: a unique tool to study tumor angiogenesis and delivery of nanoparticles. Angiogenesis. vol. 13 (2).
- (2010) Manganese Transport in the Rat Optic Nerve Evaluated With Spatial- and Time-Resolved Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. vol. 32 (3).