I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created).
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
- Professor in microbial ecology
- Leader of the research group "Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems" with Kjetill Østgaard
- Teaches TBT4110 Microbiology, BT8101 Microbial Ecology, AK8000 Marine juvenile technology
- Involved in the projects OCEAN CERTAIN, ThraustoEng, GnotoCod, MIRA, MicStaTech, MICRO-Feed
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created). Besides basic aspects, I’m interested in applied microbial ecology which can be placed under the heading Environmental Biotechnology.
Environmental Biotechnology is the application of biotechnology for solving environmental problems, both in the environment per se (e.g. bioremediation) or in man made ecosystems (e.g. sewage treatment plants). Environmental biotechnology search for technologies that are in accordance with ecological principals, based on a “join them” instead of a “beat them” strategy. Microbial Ecology, defined as scientific studies of interactions and basic principals that determine the distribution and abundance of microorganisms, is therefore a basic platform for analyses of problems and for development of technologies.
Ongoing activities are related to the following topics:
- Structure and functioning of natural planktonic ecosystems
- Host/microbe and Microbe/microbe interactions in fish
- Microbial management of marine fish larvae
- Chemical and microbial water quality in aquaculture
- Optimization of lipids in microalgae as a raw material for fish feed
- Biotechnological applications of microalgae in material science
I'm involved in the teaching of the following subjects:
BT8101 Microbial Ecology
AK8000 Juvenile Technology for Marine Fish
NA6001-4 Natural science for teachers