Background and activities
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created).
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
- Professor in microbial ecology
- Leader of the research group "Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems" with Kjetill Østgaard
- Teaches TBT4110 Microbiology, BT8101 Microbial Ecology, AK8000 Marine juvenile technology
- Involved in the projects HARVEST, OCEAN CERTAIN, Solbiopta, ThraustoEng, GnotoCod
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created). Besides basic aspects, I’m interested in applied microbial ecology which can be placed under the heading Environmental Biotechnology.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Use of the microalga Pavlova viridis as enrichment product for the feeding of Atlantic cod larvae (Gadus morhua). Aquaculture. vol. 438.
- (2015) Probiotic strains introduced through live feed and rearingwater have low colonizing success in developing Atlantic cod larvae. Aquaculture. vol. 438.
- (2014) RAS and microbial maturation as tools for K-selection of microbial communities improve survival in cod larvae. Aquaculture. vol. 432.
- (2014) Titanium uptake and incorporation into silica nanostructures by the diatom Pinnularia sp. (Bacillariophyceae). Journal of Applied Phycology.
- (2014) Ecological theory as a foundation to control pathogenic invasion in aquaculture. The ISME Journal. vol. 8 (12).
- (2014) Feeding selectivity of Calanus finmarchicus in the Trondheimsfjord. Journal of Sea Research. vol. 85.
- (2014) Inferring time-variable effects of nutrient enrichment on marine ecosystems using inverse modelling and ecological network analysis. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 493.
- (2014) Responses of biological and chemical components in North East Atlantic coastal water to experimental nitrogen and phosphorus addition - A full scale ecosystem study and its relevance for management. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 473-474 (March).
- (2014) Assimilation of inorganic nutrients from salmon (Salmo salar) farming by the macroalgae (Saccharina latissima) in an exposed coastal environment: Implications for integrated multi-trophic aquaculture. Journal of Applied Phycology. vol. 26 (4).
- (2014) Effects of membrane filtration on bacterial number and microbial diversity in marine recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) production. Aquaculture. vol. 422-423.
- (2013) Live feed is not a major determinant of the microbiota associated with cod larvae (Gadus morhua). Environmental Microbiology Reports. vol. 5 (4).
- (2013) Insight into bacterial population in aquaculture systems and its implication. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 53.
- (2013) Biomass production from the microalga Phaeodactylum tricornutum: Nutrient stress and chemical composition in exponential fed-batch cultures. Biomass & Bioenergy. vol. 58.
- (2013) Gene regulation of carbon fixation, storage, and utilization in the diatom phaeodactylum tricornutum acclimated to light/dark cycles. Plant Physiology. vol. 161 (2).
- (2013) A spatiotemporal study of bacterial community profiles associated with Atlantic bluefin tuna larvae, Thunnus thynnus L., in three Mediterranean hatcheries. Aquaculture Research. vol. 44 (10).
- (2013) Gene regulation of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) larvae with focus on lipid digestion and phospholipid metabolism. Communications in agricultural and applied biological sciences. vol. 78 (4).
- (2013) Pathways of Lipid Metabolism in Marine Algae, Co-Expression Network, Bottlenecks and Candidate Genes for Enhanced Production of EPA and DHA in Species of Chromista. Marine Drugs. vol. 11 (11).
- (2013) Microbial biogeography during austral summer 2007 in the surface waters around the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. vol. 70.
- (2013) Microbiology and immunology of fish larvae. Reviews in Aquaculture. vol. 53.
- (2012) Recirculation as a possible microbial control strategy in the production of marine larvae. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 46.