Background and activities
Born September 18, 1951, Norwegian.
Professor in reservoir engineering, NTNU. Siv.ing.( 1975, NTH) and Dr.ing.(1983,NTH) both in petroleum technology /reservoir engineering.
Experience: 35 years of experience in reservoir engineering research and teaching. The research has been laboratory based investigations on oil recovery processes including low salinity flooding, heavy oil recovery techniques, chemical methods (including microbial methods and methods using nanofluids), secondary and tertiary gas injection. Has started several companies together with colleagues ( ResLab (now Weatherford Labs), GeoProbing Technology and Deep Sea Anchors).
Academic and professional committees: Presently member of 7 international technical and review committees on reservoir engineering / EOR.
Doctoral student supervision: 17 PhD graduates (in reservoir engineering) are supervised and presently 6 PhD candidates are supervised towards a graduation in 2014-2017.
- Experimental reservoir engineering (routine and special core analysis)
- Evaluation of fractured reservoirs
- Enhanced oil recovery methods
- Unconventional reservoirs (heavy oil and tight gas)
- TPG 4112 Geomechanics and Flow in Porous Media
- TPG 4117 Unconventional Oil and Gas Reservoirs
- TPG 4225 Fractured Reservoirs
- Low salinity surfactant flooding: PhD-candidate; Hamid Hosseinzade Khanamiri
- Storage of CO2 in aquifers: Post doc Raheleh Farokhpoor, PhD-candidates: Szczepan Polak and Amir Taheri
- Nanofluids for enhanced oil recovery: PhD-candidates: Luky Hendraningrat, Shidong Li and Katherine Rose Aurand
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) A study of water chemistry extends the benefits of using silica-based nanoparticles on enhanced oil recovery. Applied Nanoscience. vol. 6.
- (2016) EOR by Low Salinity Water and Surfactant at Low Concentration: Impact of Injection and in Situ Brine Composition. Energy & Fuels. vol. 30 (4).
- (2016) Low-Salinity-Surfactant Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) with a New Surfactant Blend: Effect of Calcium Cations. Energy & Fuels. vol. 30 (2).
- (2016) Experimental investigation and comparison of thermal processes: SAGD, E-SAGD and SAS. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology. vol. 31 (2).
- (2015) A Stabilizer that Enhances the Oil Recovery Process Using Silica-Based Nanofluids. Transport in Porous Media. vol. 108 (3).
- (2015) A study of water chemistry extends the benefits of using silica-based nanoparticles on enhanced oil recovery. Applied Nanoscience.
- (2015) Metal oxide-based nanoparticles: revealing their potential to enhance oil recovery in different wettability systems. Applied Nanoscience. vol. 5 (2).
- (2015) Use of low-and high-IFT fluid systems in experimental and numerical modelling of systems that mimic CO2 storage in deep saline formations. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 129.
- (2014) Investigating the Temperature Dependency of Oil and Water Relative Permeabilities for Heavy Oil Systems. Transport in Porous Media. vol. 105.
- (2014) Permeability and relative permeability measurements for CO2-brine system at reservoir conditions in low permeable sandstones in Svalbard. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology. vol. 4 (1).
- (2014) CO2 saturation and thickness predictions in the Tubåen Fm., Snøhvit field, from analytical solution and time-lapse seismic data. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 29.
- (2014) Effects of the initial rock wettability on silica-based nanofluid-enhanced oil recovery processes at reservoir temperatures. Energy & Fuels. vol. 28 (10).
- (2013) CO2 wettability behavior during CO2 sequestration in saline aquifer - An Experimental study on minerals representing sandstone and carbonate. Energy Procedia.
- (2013) Wettability behaviour of CO2 at storage conditions. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 12.
- (2013) Laboratory investigation on effects of initial wettabilities on performance of low salinity waterflooding. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 105.
- (2013) A coreflood investigation of nanofluid enhanced oil recovery. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 111.
- (2013) Experimental Study of Miscible Hot WAG Injection in Heavy Oil and Slightly Heavy Oil Reservoirs. International Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology. vol. 7 (3).
- (2013) Investigating Impact of Flow Rate and Wettability on Residual Trapping in CO2 Storage in Brine through Relative Permeability Experiments. Energy and Environment Research. vol. 3 (2).
- (2013) Simulation study of density-driven natural convection mechanism in isotropic and anisotropic brine aquifers using a black oil reservoir simulator. Energy Procedia. vol. 37.
- (2012) Analysis of Microscopic Displacement Mechanisms of a MIOR Process in Porous Media with Different Wettability. Transport in Porous Media. vol. 93 (3).