Short biography Max 160 characters [0/160]
Ragnhild Lund is professor of Geography/Development Studies at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU, since 1994. Her research interests are theories of development and geography, gender and development, development induced displacement, post-crisis recovery, transnational feminism and women’s activism. Over the years she has lead several externally funded projects on gender and development, forced migration, post-crisis recovery, and crisis communication. The present projects she is working with are about mobile livelihoods, re-thinking gender, domestic violence, and cultural encounters. She is editor and author of Gender and Place (1994), Renegotiating Local Values. Working Women and Foreign Industry in Malaysia (1994), In the Maze of Displacement (2003), Global Childhood, Globalization, Development and Young People (2008), The Tsunami of 2004 in Sri Lanka: Impacts and Policy in the Shadow of Civil War (2010), and Gender, Mobilities and Livelihood Transformation Comparing Indigenous People in China, India and Laos (in press). In addition she has published scientific articles on gender, activism, mobility, livelihoods, orphanhood/HIV/AIDS, and urban-rural linkages. With Merete Lie she is co-editing Gender, Technology and Development and is also editor of the Norwegian Journal of Geography.
In addition to leading the externally funded projects presented below Ragnhild is presently working with individual research on the following issues: meanings of self in knowledge production, indigenous people (Sri Lanka and India), homemaking among immigrant workers in Shanghai and Beijing with Yunxian Wang), gendered activism (India with Smita Mishra Panda), re-visiting the field and changing subjectivities (Malaysia with Merete Lie), social costs of development (with Smita Mishra and Haribandu Panda), youth (Sri Lanka with Cathrine Brun and Fazeeha Azmi).
2009-2013: Mobile livelihoods and gendered citizenship: the counter-geographies of indigenous people in India, China and Laos (Funded by the Research Council of Norway)
2010-2014: Re-visiting Gender in Development: Complex Inequalities in a Changing Asia (Funded by the Research Council of Norway)
2013-2014: Cultural Encounters and Asian Imaginaries in Nordic Societies – Cult-ASIANS (Application to HERA)
Link to all my publications in the in the Cristin database.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts.
- (2013) Working gender after crisis: partnerships and disconnections in Sri Lanka after the Indian Ocean tsunami. Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography. volum 20 (1).
- (2013) Contested identities of indigenous people: Indigenization or integration of the Veddas in Sri Lanka. Singapore journal of tropical geography. volum 34 (2).
- (2013) Young People's Everyday Politics in Post-conflict Sri Lanka. Space & Polity. volum 17 (1).
- (2013) Mobility in marginalized spaces: Manoeuvring for survival among the Veddas in Sri Lanka. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 67 (4).
- (2013) Theme issue: Gendered Mobilities in Asia. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 67 (4).
- (2013) Environmental Insecurity and Social Friction: Links in Rural Odisha. International Journal of Rural Management. volum 9 (1).
- (2013) Gender, Mobility, and Citizenship Rights among Tribals of Khurda and Sundargarh, Odisha (India). Gender, Technology and Development. volum 17 (2).
- (2013) Mobile livelihoods among ethnic minorities in China: Insights from Yunnan. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 67 (4).
- (2012) Researching crisis - Recognizing the unsettling experience of emotions. Emotion, Space and Society. volum 5 (2).
- (2012) Communication Gaps in Disaster Management: Perceptions by Experts from Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management. volum 20 (1).
- (2011) Beyond the knowledge-action gap: Challenges of implementing humanitarian policies in Ghana and Uganda. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 65 (2).
- (2011) New Activism for Political Recognition. Creation and Expansion of Spaces by Tribal Women, Odisha, India. Gender, Technology and Development. volum 15 (1).
- (2010) Real-time research: decolonising research practices - or just another spectacle of researcher-practitioner collaboration?. Development in Practice. volum 20 (7).
- (2010) Det lokale i det globale: norsk industri i Asia. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. volum 18.
- (2009) 'Unpacking' the narrative of a national housing policy in Sri Lanka. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 63 (1).
- (2009) "Unpacking" the narrative of a national housing policy in Sri Lanka. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 63 (1).
- (2009) Radøys reiser på Sri Lanka. Prosa - tidsskrift for skribenter.
- (2009) The tsunami of 2004 in Sri Lanka: Impacts and policy in the shadow of civil war. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. volum 63 (1).
- (2009) Shifting Geographies of House and Home. Female Migrants Making Home in Rural Sri Lanka. Journal of Geographical Science. volum 57.
- (2008) Making a home during crisis: Post-tsunami recovery in a context of war, Sri Lanka. Singapore journal of tropical geography. volum 29 (3).